Exclusive
Tony Shalhoub

Tony Shalhoub Joins Gilmore Girls Creator's Marvelous Amazon Pilot

We’re about to find out how many syllables Tony Shalhoub can utter in a single breath.

The Emmy-winning Monk actor, who just wrapped a run on CBS’ BrainDead, has joined the cast of Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino‘s Amazon pilot The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The 1950s-set drama follows Miriam “Midge” Maisel (House of Cards‘ Rachael Brosnahan), a young Jewish wife who becomes one of the first female standup comedians after her husband leaves her and their two children. Shalhoub will play Abe Weissman, Midge’s intellectual father who believes in books and facts and speaking as little as possible.

AS-P will direct the pilot from her own script, and serve as an EP alongside husband and frequent collaborator Dan Palladino.

1. Gina says:

Sounds good although I got more than a little bit excited initially thinking that he was joining Gilmore Girls. Guess that’ll teach me to read the headlines correctly.

• MMD says:

Me too. After just discovering Gilmore Girls and working on my second series run through, I am eating, sleeping and thinking GG.

I am now an Amy S-P convert, I will watch anything she does and I do like Tony Shalhoub.

2. Glad he is doing comedy again. I loved him on Wings and in Monk.

3. Sally Mander says:

I agree but I’m old. Maybe this is what the young generation wants. If so, Fallon certainly lucked out because this is all the talent the man has.

4. pickles says:

Great I love Tony Shalhoub.

5. mooshki says:

I really, really don’t understand why Monk isn’t on any of the streaming services or airing reruns on some cable channel. I know there are a ton of people who would watch every day. (And yes, I have the DVDs, they’re just more of a pain to deal with than streaming/airing.)

6. Stacy says:

ASP -and- Tony Shalhoub? Whoo hoo!

7. FMG says:

People wouldn’t be so confused if the writer would attemp to relate to his readers instead of trying to squeeze as much as possible into a sentence.

• Anne-Marie says:

Yea, I’m with you, FMG. It was not nice to mislead the readers. Very sneaky way of the writer to get people to read his stuff. Not being fair to the readers.

• FMG says:

I don’t know that the writer’s intention was to mislead the readers. I think he’s just not a very clear communicator. Even some simple quotation marks to set off a few words may have clarified that Tony Shalhoub didn’t actually join Gilmore Gores’ A Year in the Life.

Perhaps the writer did not take into consideration that many are not yet familiar with Amy Sherman-Palladino‘s new pilot. Or, to be fair to the writer, it could be the editor’s faux pas.