Fall TV Preview
Designated Survivor Mykelti

Kiefer's Designated Survivor Adds 24 Alum Mykelti Williamson

ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-fronted Designated Survivor has set in motion its first 24 reunion, with the casting of Mykelti Williamson.

Premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 10/9c, the freshman drama stars Sutherland as Tom Kirkman, a mild-mannered Secretary of Housing and Urban Development who at the end of a very bad day winds up as President of the United States, following a terror attack on the Capitol.

Per our sister site Deadline, Williamson will play Admiral Chernow, the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who becomes one of Kirkman’s trusted advisors. And boy, will he need them!

This marks the second time Sutherland and Williamson have reunited on a post-24 gig, in addition to the latter’s arc on Touch.

Williamson’s previous TV credits also include Underground, Justified, Nashville, Boomtown and 2000’s The Fugitive.

1. Kevin K says:

Talk about a mini 24 reunion. Jack Bauer and Brian Hastings from Season 8 reunited.

2. Boiler says:

If people looking forward to this show it must just be for Keifer. I don’t see how stories can have any longevity in this show

3. Iris says:

Yas! I love him, great addition to an already appealing cast!

4. ReneCat says:

Well, I hope this show lasts a LONG time just because it looks so good! That being said we ARE talking about ABC not exactly a great record on keeping good shows but I’m willing to bet Designated Survivor has the goods to stay on. And I don’t see why it couldn’t go at least 3 seasons or more.

5. Ingrid Desai says:

I adored 24. I wish it had aired longer. It’s hard to get me guessing as I can always tell you the end of the show before it’s over. 24 did that and I thought Keifer Sutherland did an awesome job. Can’t wait to see this! For all those that miss 24, the 6 part series, Honorable Woman had the same suspense. Not the same speed but just as good. Congrats Keifer on your new show.

6. Verna Mitteer says:

Just wishn it came on a more reasonable time for the working weekday viewers like myself!!

7. I thought the show was really good. I am interested to see what is coming. There are some good cast members.