Post Mortems
Suits Recap

Suits' Patrick J. Adams Reflects on Mike's Prison Arc, Previews New 'Struggle' and His Future With Rachel

Warning: The following contains spoilers for this Wednesday’s Suits

Mike’s life dramatically changed yet again during Wednesday’s Suits when the imprisoned faux lawyer’s stint behind bars came to an early end.

After securing his pal Kevin’s release, Mike set about ensuring that Gallo would never retaliate against him or his loved ones. In a risky move, Mike stayed locked up to catch his enemy’s attack on tape… and the plan actually worked! With the dangerous criminal successfully tamed — if Gallo tries anything, he’s going back to maximum-security prison, where everyone knows he’s a rat — Mike was finally able to walk out a free man and straight into Rachel’s arms.

But what comes next now that Mike can’t practice the law? And is his relationship with his fiancée as solid as it seems? Star Patrick J. Adams answers those burning questions and more below. The actor also shares why he was “pretty desperate” to break out of his character’s current digs.

TVLINE | Has the prison storyline played out the way you thought it would, in terms of what that life would be like for Mike and how long he’d be there?
I would say that at least on the timeline level, it played out how I thought it would. I knew that we were going to have to stay [in prison] most of the season, and I’m glad we did. There were definitely some surprises in there. Obviously, the set that we built… that I couldn’t really imagine until we got there. I was a little worried that I didn’t understand what the world of prison would look like in our show, and that it’d feel so different that it would feel like a completely different show. I think we’ve done a good job of pushing the envelope, doing something a little different, while also making sure that it felt like part of the world that we worked so hard over the last six years to create.

Suits RecapTVLINE | What was it like being separated from much of the cast for such a big chunk of the season?
At first, it was great — not because I don’t love spending time with my cast. As an actor, it was great motivation [and] a great challenge. I got to feel like I was doing something brand new. I got to come to work every day, feeling like I did when we started [the show]. I had to make new choices and figure out his relationship with characters. But like Mike, over time, I really started to miss the people who I had worked with over the years. I started to miss the dynamic that Mike had with Louis, the dynamic that Mike had with Jessica. It definitely got to the point where the only person I was getting to have scenes with was Harvey. We only had scenes in the visitation room. It was good because it fed my frustration and my anger in playing those scenes, but it made me pretty desperate to get out of there and rejoin the force, be able to be outside a little bit.

TVLINE | How will Mike’s experience inside inform him now that he’s back on the outside?
He’s finally shaken off the weight of this secret that he’s been holding onto. He’s finally paid the price, done his time, and he’s back to the business of figuring out who he wants to be and what his life looks like. Of all the characters on Suits, maybe I’m biased, but I feel like Mike has undergone the biggest transformation from day one to now. I don’t think that transformation stops now that we’re moving forward. Now the big struggle for him is figuring out what he does with his life, because being a lawyer is obviously not in the cards as of now. He has to figure out how he wants to help people. That question of what he’s going to do will be a big part of the back six episodes of the season.

TVLINE | Are you seeing any shifts in the character following his imprisonment?
It’s part of a journey that he’s always been on. He’s more and more mature. He’s getting closer and closer to the person that he wants to be. So there’s a level of strength and confidence in knowing that he doesn’t have to hide from anybody anymore. I’m not sure where the story is taking us. But from the point of view of me playing him, I would imagine that he’s definitely not the boy that he once was. There’s a saying, “Kill the boy. Let the man be born.” That’s what’s happening to him. It’ll be interesting to see how he interacts with all of the characters now that he’s no longer trying to hide.

Suits RecapTVLINE | Can Mike and Rachel really pick up where they left off?
I think so. It’ll be a little different. But the whole thing keeping them apart was this terrible reality that he had to go and pay the price for what he’d been doing all these years, and now that’s over. She’s been coming into her own in a major way with this case all season, and I think he’s so proud of her and excited to see her making her dreams come true. As of now, I don’t see anything getting in between the two of them, although I’m sure the writers will find something to throw into the mix.

TVLINE | What does Mike think of everything Harvey has done to get him out?
It’s the same position that Mike takes with Harvey all the time, which is they’re brothers. He’s so grateful to Harvey for the things that he’s done to help him, and he’s frustrated with Harvey about the things that he’s done that he didn’t keep him in the loop about. … At the end of [Episode] 609, as you see, they’re face-to-face just like they were when Mike went to prison. How they got there and what they did doesn’t matter. It just matters that they’re back together and that they can focus on the future and figuring out how it all works from there.

Suits fans, are you happy Mike is a free man? What do you think he should do next to pay the bills?

1. Robin says:

Great insight. Wonderfully written & portrayed arch, but thrilled the gang is reunited and stronger than ever!

2. anne says:

Loved the episode. They were so many twists but I’m super happy that Mike is finally
    out

3. Rheinmeister says:

I know some people didn’t love that Mike was behind bars for most of the season but I’m glad that they showed the repercussions of his/their actions – there needed to be something plus I enjoyed the Harvey and Sean moments. Also good to see Gary Cole back. Is Scottie coming back for the last couple of episodes or we haven’t seen Tanner in a couple of seasons.

They obviously have to keep Mike involved in the firm somehow so I’m assuming that he will work as a PI maybe for them. Vanessa hasn’t been seen since Season 1 maybe she’ll go into permanent retirement. Looking forward to the rest of the season and I’m glad that Mike getting out wasn’t the mid season finale conclusion.

4. Td says:

I’m not sure what character growth Patrick thinks Mike has achieved…because I’ve seen none.

5. Lindsey says:

That’s great and all, but when are Harvey and Donna going to get together? (Jk… sort of)

6. Elaine says:

He can be a paralegal. Not a lawyer, but a helper.

• rowan77 says:

That’s what I was thinking. As a paralegal, as long as he’s working for an attorney, 99% of what they do is what an attorney does (which is why legal assistants and paralegals are not the same thing). Plus with Rachel soon to be a lawyer, the juxtaposition of their original positions at work will make for an interesting dynamic. I just wonder if Jessica and Louis will be willing to hire him as a paralegal because it would look bad to hire back the fraud who made your firm look bad. It kinda says that they didn’t learn from this. But then, it’s TV, so they’ll spin it.

7. Joey Padron says:

Great episode. Happy about the reunion with Mike and Rachel at the end. Glad they took care of Gallo so him won’t bother them anymore. Glad Mike helped Kevin get out of prison. Looking forward to see what Mike will do next in for the rest of the season.

8. Sarah says:

Episode 9 was he best one yet from this season. And Rachel’s character growth this season has been so great and on point, i can’t wait to see how the rest of the season unfolds now that mike is a free man

9. It was a mixed season for me.

Lows: The intended-for-laughs (I can only assume) prison-morbidity-lightening sophomoric silliness of the office plot … Louis and Donna’s (drearily) slapstick exchanges, the idiocy with the stock broker, the (pre-)adolescent quality of Louis’s fumblings with his new love interest. Fortunately, the office silliness subsided with later episodes.

Highs: The Mike prison plot and attendant legal drama, and the Innocence Project plot.

The best thing about this season for me was watching Mike (Patrick J. Adams) mature as an actor. He really stepped up to the plate, and it wasn’t an easy plate to step up to! Up until now I thought of Mike as a baby-faced prodigy. Now he’s a full-fledged, powerful, grown man!

Harvey’s acting was also excellent, as I’ve come to expect from him. What was cool (and new) to watch about him this season was the extent to which he would put himself in harm’s way to help a friend in need. Dude nailed it!

All in all, imo a good solid season. I’m so happy it got renewed! :-)

10. Mara says:

Thank god Mike is finally out of prison — that lasted way too long — not what I wanted from this show. Glad everyone is back together and we can at least have a season of that and did not end on this mess.

11. HAP says:

I think Rachel will become a lawyer before Mike.

12. Jadaci says:

He should work as a para-legal at Pearson-Spector-Litt and while he’s working there, use that lovely photographic memory to take the Bar Exam, this time for himself, and pass it and for Heaven’s sake do something good with his life!!!!

• grazelled says:

See this is where this show is confusing. I am 99.9% sure that Mike took the Bar exam for himself and passed. The only issue that sent him to prison was that he didn’t go to law school. In order to be a practicing attorney in today’s world you have to both pass the Bar and go to an accredited law school in most states, for sure in New York. Mike lied about going to law school…that’s why he committed Fraud and was prosecuted.

• Samm says:

in New York you only need to complete one year of law school and do 3 years of apprenticeship (& pass the bar), to be a lawyer. So it’s possible for Mike to still be a lawyer.

13. njartist says:

So far a very good season except for the stupid romantic story line regarding
    Louis. That in my opinion has taken that character backwards. Regarding Mike
    and any potential as a lawyer- I thought that part of his sentence was that he
    cannot practice law once he completes his time in jail. Also doesn’t he have to
    report to a parole officer? I think that somehow we have not heard the last
    of Gallo. I have a feeling that somehow someway he will reach out to exact
    revenge on either Mike or Harvey, probably both which will place Rachael in
    the cross hairs. I also wonder if the “deal” between Harvey and the SEC lawyer
    will end up coming to light. Mike could work as a paralegal at the firm but
    overall his employment opportunities are limited. Lets face it -perpetuating a
    fraud ,being found guilty and going to prison is not going to open many
    doors for him in fields of employment that he would not only find interesting but
    financially viable. BTW- there are some states in which one can practice law
    without having to attend law school. There are only a few and NY is one of them
    and those particular states having set up different requirements. That could be
    one way for Mike to become a practicing lawyer .

14. vlflannery says:

I love this show. I love the characters. I think that Rachel and Mike will be fine, they are definitely ment to be. Harvey will make it happen for Mike to work at the firm.

15. Samm says:

in New York state, you can become a lawyer with one year of law school and 3 years of apprenticeship. I don’t know if Mike even did one year of law school, but he’s certainly put in enough hours to compete the 3 years apprenticeship. With those requirements completed and successfully passing the bar, Mike could once again become a lawyer.

16. Sandra G says:

So glad and relieved Mike is out of prison! He`ll be a different and a stronger person but the insights will be the same! Happy to learn He and Rachel will pull off together! Love #Suits Love the cast and Mike is amazing! Patrick J Adams clap clap clap