Too Close to Home Renewed

Tyler Perry's Too Close to Home Renewed for Season 2 at TLC

2 Close 2 Home?

Two weeks into its seven-episode freshman run, Tyler Perry’s Too Close to Home has been renewed for Season 2, TLC announced on Thursday.

The series — which follows Anna, a young woman who comes face-to-face with her checkered past after an alleged affair with the president — “captured viewers” and “brought in new viewers at an even greater rate in its second week,” the network’s press release reads. Heather Locklear (Melrose Place) famously guest-stars.

In Live+Same Day ratings, the sudser has been averaging 800,000 weekly viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, with this past Monday’s installment delivering a mild uptick in audience. TVLine readers gave the two-hour premiere an average grade of “C+.”

“Our audience was ready for a move into the scripted space, and Too Close to Home has whet their appetite to see more,” TLC president Nancy Daniels said in a statement. “More twists, more heartbreak and certainly more of Tyler Perry’s notoriously dramatic writing.”

Have you been watching Too Close to Home? Did anyone see this renewal coming?

1. tallsy says:

The Alabama plotline isn’t great, but is passable prime time soap fare. The DC stuff is both a Scandal rip off and nonsensical.

2. Deb says:

I thought Tyler Perry had an exclusive deal with OWN?

3. Will says:

Yay. I like the show a lot and its only been on for 2 weeks. Im looking forward to see things unfold.

4. Gerri says:

Is Heather a recurring Guest star? (I love her, but less is more with the makeup)

5. Jorkub says:

Every scene involving her DC friends is tonally insane in the best way possible… it’s like parts of it remind me of Tommy Wiseau’s The Room. That’s how weird the acting and direction is…

• tallsy says:

Can someone explain to me why Tyler Perry insists on directing all of his shows? Just freeing up the time might improve the quality.

6. Scott says:

this show was beyond offensive the way Dax and that girl were acting toward Victor taking that blonde chick back to Alabama

7. cuius says:

There are good early renewals, and bad early renewals – fear this is the latter

8. Mandie says:

I hope that this means that it will finally be shown in Canada.

9. The Beach says:

The show is pretty trashy but it sure has some hot beefcake eye candy to take your mind off how bad the plot is.

10. Antonio Wilkins says:

I love it thank you Tyler, may God continue to bless you.

11. Tbh, I expected better quality from TP. This show is awful. The characters stand around and quite literally repeat themselves for minutes on end, with the scene going around in circles. I dont know how this scored a renewal.

12. Terri says:

I can’t believe this got renewed. Worst acting I’ve seen in a long time!!!

13. George H. says:

Remember when TLC stood for The Learning Channel? Only thing you “learn” these days is about obese people, little people, plus an angry, overweight woman with an annoying voice thinking she knows how to teach tweens to dance.

14. G says:

Hey TLC stop putting on my 600lb life on instead of this show in Canada. Holy tired of going to watch this show and then I Have to see this is what’s on. Get it together already!!

15. Roberta. Thomas says:

Three sisters all took different roads
    Love the show

16. Roxanne Turner says:

Loving it storyline so far yes waiting for the twist he famous for

17. Donna says:

When I heard about the show I wondered what Tyler Perry was up to. When the show came on, I watched it and I really enjoyed it.
    I liked the story line too. I can’t wait for it to come back on.
    Great job Mr. Perry. May God continue to bless you.

18. Michelle Jones says:

So is it or isn’t it coming back on I like it and couldn’t wait to see more

19. This is a great new show with lots of drama. Can’t wait for more!

20. The show ahit. Waiting on season 2

21. Latasha Finn says:

Love the show! Keeps me jumping around waiting on more..much support these shows are so good glad all this reality t.v.is taking over. Tyler keep them coming

22. Dianne says:

Too close to home is the bomb, I’m so happy there’s gonna be a second season. Where do TP get his people from, because everything he does have the perfect cast everytime. But Tyler, your stuff is suppose to be the kind of stuff the whole family can watch, postive stuff remember; so chill out with all the homosexuality.

23. Darlene youngbar says:

I love to close to home. Its my favorite show!!!!

24. Lisa Maurine says:

i Lisa Maurine Hinrichs , sure hope this is going to be Renewed for Next Year & have the same people in on this Program !!!! We want to see more please !!! This is a Great Seiries & Great Actors & Actresses !!! You all are doing a Fantastic Job !! Stir The Pot & So IT will Better & Great !!! You all have got to go for the gusto , No Guts No Glory !!!!! L. Maurine Hinrichs.

• Beth Taylor says:

I absolutely can’t wait for the return of this show! It was only on for several weeks. Why didn’t it run longer? I’m disappointed tonight was the last show and how long do we have to wait for it to return?

25. judy-jo hyde says:

I love this series too close to home and happy it will be back for a second season. I looked forward every Monday to see what was unfolding next, and how the characters lives intertwined and mashed up. Thanks to Tyler Perry for an intreging drama program, I hope I don’t have to wait long for series 2, I’m hooked!

26. RJ says:

We love this show…happy it’s coming back.

27. Nicole says:

When is the second season gonna start?

28. patricia blanchfield says:

Brody is one of the worst actors I ever have seen, you guys need to get rid of him.

29. Sheila Petroski says:

The best drama series I’ve seen in years. Season 2 can’t get here fast enough. Remember ladies…..Brody is mine. Lol

30. Pam says:

I love the show when will it be coming back on. I can’t believe the way we were left hanging. I can’t wait to see what happens when these guys start shooting at JB Shelby Anna & Bonnie.

31. GCB says:

Love the show great actors some need to practice more on their lines sounds like they are reading and not remembering their lines …started watching because of my soap opera favorite Kelly Sullivan