Emmys

Emmys 2016: Who Should Win Best Lead Actor in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

Will a Silicon Valley savant or a Master of None be triumphant on Emmy night?

That’s the question heading into the race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series as first time hopefuls Thomas Middleditch and Aziz Ansari find themselves pitted against four returning nominees. Should Ansari lose to Middleditch or any one of his competitors, he could still walk away a winner as an executive producer of None, which is up for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Transparent‘s Jeffrey Tambor is looking for a repeat win following his victory last year in this category. He is joined by fellow returning nominees Anthony Anderson and Will Forte, both of whom have zero Emmys to their name. Of the two, the black-ish star would appear to have the edge given the multiple nods his ABC sitcom scored (including for comedy series and lead actress Tracee Ellis Ross). Forte, meanwhile, is Last Man‘s sole nominee.

Last but certainly not least, William H. Macy returns with his 12th career nomination. The two-time Emmy champ previously won for writing and starring in the 2002 TV-movie Door to Door; he has yet to pick up a statue for Shameless.

What would you do if you had the opportunity to recognize one of these esteemed actors when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so visit TVLine.com daily to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s most distinguished honor. (For a complete list of this year’s nominees, click here.)

1. bos4ny3 says:

Master of None is just unwatchable.

2. Z says:

I feel like it’s still gonna be Jeffery Tambor given the history of them giving it to the same person/show but I want them to spread the love this year and give it to Will Forte or Anthony ANderson

3. ABG. says:

Anthony Anderson for sure.

4. Anthony Anderson for ‘Hope’. He was so amazing in that episode, wow.
    I also would love to see Will Forte win, but based on this season, I’d say Anderson.

5. Seun Fayiga says:

I really don’t know again what qualifies as a good quality show in America if Master of None has received such critical acclaim. Personally its a very stupid show and i don’t understand how it has entered the best comedy category and Ansari is best actor. That means there are no good shows anymore and everything is now whack if Master of None is regarded as one of the best

6. Joey says:

Honestly I wouldn’t be upset if Tambor won because he’s really good, but I’d prefer if Anderson or Middleditch won.

7. ToyCannon says:

Tambor by default since Jim Parsons isn’t nominated.

8. OA says:

When it comes to comedy Anderson deserves it. Within the sitcom-on-network construct/limitations he’s giving as good if not better of a job.

9. Ron says:

I honestly think this is the category I care least about. If I’m a betting man, I put all my money on Tambor. But he’d be my last pick to win. He’s phenomenal in the role, but I forbid to recognize Transparent as a comedy. I would maybe give it to Middleditch.

10. Aeol says:

Master of None is an entertaining show, but I wouldn’t call Ansari’s performance, or the show itself for that matter, “award-winning.” I voted Anthony Anderson, if only because I used to find him insufferable, but I love black-ish and that show has made him a lot more enjoyable in my mind.

• Watched a few episodes of Transparent and Black-ish–just didn’t click with me. Ansari’s show is still sitting in my Netflix queue, as I couldn’t get beyond the first two episodes. Macy’s performance is consistently good, but I want comedy without despair. Forte doesn’t have a stand-out role. Middleditch consistently makes me feel tickled, either with the cringe worthy self-defeating pathway his character walks, or the occasional brilliant physical comedy in which he excels. VEEP and Silicon Valley are the happiest hour of the week for me.

• Aeol says:

I loved the first season of Silicon Valley, but I straight up can’t take it anymore. It’s like it’s too much of a good thing.

11. Anna says:

Anthony Anderson is hilarious – his performance was the only one that consistently cracked me up.