Black Lightning TV Series

DC's Black Lightning Series in the Works From Greg Berlanti, BMJ Duo

Greg Berlanti is joining forces with some powerful allies to bring his next superhero to the small screen.

Berlanti — already responsible for blessing television with Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow — is working with Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil on a drama series about DC Comics’ Black Lightning, our sister site Deadline reports.

Currently being pitched to networks, the Akils-penned series would follow Jefferson Pierce (fka Black Lightning), a retired vigilante who gets pulled back into the fray thanks to a justice-hungry daughter and a former pupil who’s now involved with a gang.

Black Lightning has made several small-screen appearances in animated form, including on Cartoon Network’s short-lived Young Justice (pictured above).

Your thoughts on this potential Black Lightning series? Any dream casting choices? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Fjf says:

Is this a joke? Is hollywood this desperate to have a black superhero to please the oscarssowhite crowd? Black lightning sounds more like a male stripper.

2. Dns says:

Oh and of course greg berlanti is involved. How about we get a different voice behind these shows.

3. Tom Hunter says:

One of my favorite heroes finally making it to the small screen!! I’m really looking forward to this. Hope it’s picked up by a smart network exec!! (Of course, the CW would be my first choice to tie it in with their DCU of heroes)

And props to Tony Isabella, the creator of Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning !!!

4. Steven says:

I think Static would be a better fit for the existing DC-on-TV universe.

5. Geo says:

I like Berlanti’s DC shows, but we’re already at 4 of them (and they’re all inter-related). Maybe he’s aiming for one show a night Monday through Friday, but he needs to be careful about overkill.

6. Obviously Sinbad needs to reprise his Black Lightning role.

7. Azerty says:

I am not sure that I want an additional DC show (I would make an exception for Nightwing of course). But I could see Taye Diggs for the casting.

8. Dennis says:

Could someone answer this for me:

Is he related in any way to Static Shock?

9. Niki says:

So Greg Berlanti of CW is liike Shonda Rhimes for ABC and Dick Wolf for NBC.

Odd CBS does not have one like those

• TV Gord says:

It was Chuck Lorre for a while.

• Nate says:

They did for a good decade or so with Jerry Bruckheimer (all the CSIs, Cold Case, Without a Trace, and also reality tv with The Amazing Race). He was the Shonda/Wolf/Berlanti for CBS before the rest came into their own on ABC/NBC/CW.

10. Bill says:

I like how the article states being shipped to networks. Who other than CW would take it? Dady I’ll probably watch it lol

11. Joey Padron says:

Good news another DC show is in the works. Greg Berlanti is such a busy guy these days with a bunch of shows on TV. Looking forward to check out the show.

12. David says:

I’m sorry… It has nothing to do with the character or anything, but just stop already. It’s too much… I probably won’t watch it because there are just too many on now. Wait and let Arrow finish it’s run after season 7 or 8 then come out with it. If you do it as a summer run like Legends was supposed to be, then it might be different, but sorry, there are other shows I watch and don’t want to watch super hero shows 7 nights a week. Sure I can DVR and watch on my own time, but if I am thinking this, so are others, and then the show will not have the viewers(ratings) it needs to get to season 2, 3 or beyond.

Take a break, let a couple shows die, and then come back with this one.

13. grys03 says:

More character(s) in spandex? Yes!!
    But only because the rest of the shows aren’t really worth watching. Not sure about US but in OZ the 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm time slots are filled with would-be chefs, would-be renovators, bachelors, bachelorettes, home-grown teen angst soapies & dancing/singing rubbish. 1 or 2 of these would be fine but they permeate every station.
    The rest is filled with reruns of NCIS (various) or CSI (various).
    Anything that might have grown into something reasonable (Rush Hour, Player, Limitless, Mysteries of Laura, Agent X, Intelligence, Constantine, Agent Carter etc) seems to get cancelled by still more dross.
    Having said that I would have liked some other character – Nightwing seems the easiest as it requires less CGI or special effects, otherwise would love to see a Dr Fate show

14. datdudemurphy says:

I am all for this….but much like Legends, it should not be a full season show.

If DC/CW wants to try out a bunch of different 10-13 episode series, I think that would be fantastic.

Not everything needs to be dragged out to a full season.

15. Karen MT says:

The CW needs a Friday night DC show to fill up the week.

16. keniri says:

Seriously? Berlanti won’t adapt Teen Titans so instead he gives us Black Lightning? He really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Why not Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Green Lantern?

17. TFD says:

Can someone please have a word with Berlanti & tell him to calm it?
    I’m not sure how deep his involvement is, if he’s a superhero show Steven Moffat or what, but how about fixing what you have before putting out more?
    The last season of Arrow was horrendous.
    Flash went downhill mid season
    Legends is a disaster (much like the ATOM suit design) and
    Supergirl was rotten but with a couple of excellent actors trying their best (Benoist, Flockhart, Leigh)

Just please sort these out! Arrow was phenomenal the first two seasons.

• lechatnoir says:

Ok you do not like those shows but the ratings are huge.berlanty is adding one more ? So is netflix. And what’s the problem with having an African American hero. Are people on here that annoyed with dark skin ?

18. I was really hoping for a Justice league Dark Tv series with Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, The Demon, Black Orchid etc.. But I guess this is a non-starter because it’s back as a potential big screen movie.

Black lightning is such a third tier comic character I can’t see him getting any traction. Crispus Allen as The Spectre? Twitter went nuts when the green glow of the Spectre surrounded Jim Corrigan in Constantine. I’d prefer that and it would give a different slant with a supernatural theme to the current DC TV line up.