Mr Robot Recap Season 2

Mr. Robot Recap: Freedom Isn't Free

Elliot may be walking the streets again in this week’s Mr. Robot… but that doesn’t mean he’s smiling underneath that hoodie.

OK, fine, Elliot never smiles. But he’s got a lot on his mind just the same. The episode kicked off by flashing back to the end of Season 1, when Elliot heard that knock on his apartment door. Turns out it was the cops, arresting him for hacking his therapist’s sleazy boyfriend and stealing his dog — a dog that cost $1,200, by the way, making the canine theft a felony. So when Elliot pled guilty to the charges (over Mr. Robot’s protests), he was sentenced to 18 months in the county lockup.

We then got to see Elliot’s jail existence how it really was, not the rose-colored version he showed us in Season 2’s first few episodes: Ray was actually the warden, his tough-guy sidekick was a prison guard, and Leon was a fellow inmate, raving about the unsung genius of Paul Reiser on Mad About You. (This guy really needs a blog to share all of his thoughts on ’90s TV. I’d read it.)

But Elliot was suddenly on his way out, released after just 86 days. The guard signing him out told him “you got lucky,” but Elliot wasn’t so sure. He thought the Dark Army must’ve had something to do with his release, and enlisted Darlene and Cisco to put him in touch with Whiterose. Elliot managed to hack Whiterose’s phone so Darlene could listen in while he and Cisco met some Dark Army henchmen in an abandoned library. They’d been discussing moving to “Stage 2” of the hack, and Elliot demanded to know what Stage 2 is… but as Darlene discovered from her eavesdropping, Stage 2 was Elliot’s plan all along. Or, more accurately, Mr. Robot’s.

So yeah, Elliot’s mind wasn’t in great shape. The line between him and Mr. Robot kept blurring, with images of Mr. Robot flickering into Elliot. Has he been off his meds since he was in jail? (He did tell the intake officer he wasn’t on any medication.) Plus, we learned his mental health may have a genetic component when he paid a surprise visit to… his mother! Yes, she’s alive, but barely, sitting catatonic in a nursing home. Could Mom hold the key to healing Elliot’s split personality once and for all?

Meanwhile, Angela was really getting into this whole hacking thing — she’s a natural! — using Cisco’s flash drive to swipe key E Corp documents related to the toxic waste dump that made her mother and Elliot’s dad sick. She took them to a guy at the nuclear regulatory commission, who promised to investigate, but another woman there knew Angela worked for E Corp, and seemed to be luring Angela into a trap before she escaped. Home wasn’t safe, either: Dom barged in and basically announced she knows Angela is up to no good, leaving her business card in case Ang wants to confess. Time for an emergency trip to the karaoke bar, am I right?

But truthfully, this show has been missing a key element all season long: Tyrell Wellick. The slick-haired, cold-blooded exec helped make Season 1 the addictive ride it was, and so at the very end, when Elliot spotted Tyrell’s SUV outside his apartment, I got excited, thinking we might finally catch a glimpse of him. But no: It was just his wife Joanna, rolling down the window and calling out to Elliot, “Hello, Ollie.” I’m still holding out hope for a Tyrell comeback this season… but more scenes between Elliot and Joanna would be a nice consolation prize.

Bits and Bytes:

* Nice touch, Sam Esmail, with the “RISK AHEAD” poster looming just above Angela’s head in her office as she copied all of E Corp’s incriminating documents. In related news: Angela got an office! No more cubicles for our girl!

* Whiterose took time out to visit the grave of former E Corp CEO Lester Moore… and took a piss on it, too. Seems Whiterose might have had a hand in the plane crash that killed Moore. That doesn’t bode well for current CEO Phillip Price’s lifespan, especially since he shrugged off Whiterose’s threats: “I will reign chaos, even if it hurts me.” Well… it might.

* How did they get Nancy Grace to appear in those news clips about the Five/Nine hack? Is it a clever edit job like they did with President Obama? Or is Nancy getting into showbiz, post-Headline News?

* The song playing during Elliot’s prison montage: Depeche Mode’s “Walking In My Shoes.” Appropriately moody/emo stuff, don’t you think?

What did you think of this week’s Mr. Robot? Hack your way into the comments.

1. totally_confused says:

This show is so confusing that I don’t even know if I’m entertained by it anymore. So now there’s yet another character that’s just in Elliot’s head? Could it be Tyrell? How could that logically be, since Elliot worked for Allsafe and Tyrell for Evil Corp. at the same time? Is Elliot also Angela’s ex, Ollie? We want to know what stage 2 is, and so does Elliot, yet it was Elliot who came up with it all along? And now we have to wait until the end of the season to find out what it is? Who the hell is at Cisco’s door when Angela opens it at the end? I can’t even begin to render a guess. Who’s on the couch when Cisco goes back to what’s-her-name’s smart house to retrieve the tape?

Before you make fun of me, I will admit right now that maybe I have all these questions because I’m not that bright.

• Mike says:

Ollie was just the fake name (stolen from Angela’s idiot ex) Elliot gave Joanna when he went looking for Tyrell at the end of season one. That’s the only name she knows him by, or possibly she’s calling him out on his (obvious) deception. Either way, bad news. Of course, this is Mr robot so there’s rarely ever any GOOD news…

• totally_confused says:

I don’t know if this was intentional or not but – the mysterious brown outs in California in the early 2000s were artificially caused by energy traders at, coincidentally, Enron, which, coincidentally, had the same logo as Evil Corp. I doubt it means anything, but I thought I’d mention it anyway.

Another thing I noticed: in season 1, Tyrell tells Elliot when describing how he murdered Saron Knowles, “I thought I’d fell guilty for being a murderer, but I don’t…I feel wonder…” It’s kind of oddly similar to Darlene’s speech about killing Susan Jacobs, about how she thought something in her would stop her from doing it, and how she feels nothing.

I doubt it means anything other than that both, in a way, are fledgling psychopaths who’ve crossed the line by committing their first respective murders.

• Shaun says:

Darlene is answering the door,not Angela.

2. John Steed says:

So many shows are written assuming that viewers must be spoon fed everything so that no thinking is required. This show is such a breathe of fresh air. I love getting mind F’d by each episode and having to ponder and try to guess what is going on, even to the point of re-watching previous episodes to catch some details that I had missed and piece things together.

• Overrated dribble says:

Comments like these are so pretenious. Lol you’re watching tv!! It does not make you any smarter you doofus hipster because you have to rewatch dribble.

• Ted says:

That word does not mean what you think it means.

• grabthar says:

…drivel…

• Kiwi3 says:

@Overrated dribble:

Comments like yours make my eyes hurt from reading such ignorant ranting. And my head ache from all the shaking due to your OWN propensity for pretentiousness.

Mr. Robot IS actually an intellectually stimulating tv series. It does help to watch more than once. It isn’t the typical lowest common denominator trash that too often exists today.

By the way, it helps when you want to use “big” words when insulting someone to use the right words and to spell them correctly. Especially sìnce every device we use has spell check.

“Pretentious” has 2 T’s and it’s drivel NOT dribble. Although you need a dictionary not spell check for that.

3. Ken Lee says:

Tyrell is dead……Elliot said he murdered him right before he walked over to the SUV

• Ted says:

No he’s not. Martin Wallstrom’s name has been in the cast credits all season, even the episodes where he is neither seen nor heard. Judging from USA’s vague descriptions of the final three episodes, we’ll be seeing a lot of him in the season finale.

4. debsisdead says:

I can’t see Wellick ever appearing again since Elliot sees Wellick’s car and says “How can I return to normal when the SUV belonging to the man I murdered is parked outside my apartment?” Remember Elliot has promised that he won’t deceive us any more.
    For me the most interesting thing about ep 9 was that Elliot’s consciousness seems to be fragmenting into another character.
    Now that Elliot & Mr Robot have achieved a truce of sorts that psychic shift was inevitable.
    The 3rd person view from the bathroom while Robot, Darlene & CISCO were deep in conspiracy or rather Mr Robot was issuing instructions, indicates to me that the 3rd character is the one we always considered to be us, the audience.
    When Elliot spoke directly to ‘us’ that was no film school breaking down the 4th wall bulldust ,he was talking to another albeit nascent portion of his psyche which is currently blossoming into a fully formed character for Elliot (1) to have to contend with. Now that both Elliot & Mr Robot are aware of the murder he/they committed perhaps this new personality – Mrs Robot? is likely to be unaware of the depths of evil Elliot has sunk to – that could allow him to cope and not screw up by confessing all again.

• rutx says:

I’m sure Elliot believes he murdered Tyrell, but Mr. Robot only confessed to shooting him, not killing him. i’m not sure what the point would be in Mr. Robot not clarifying it when Elliot says he has murdered him, but still Mr. Robot never said he was dead, just that he shot him. The way this show sets up these things, I’m not going to be surprised if he’s still alive.