Emmys

Emmys 2016: What Should Win Best Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Will Emmy voters reelect Veep as TV’s best comedy?

If leading lady Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ four-year winning streak in the lead actress category is any indication, her foul-mouthed political satire should have no trouble garnering a second statue for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Two first time contenders are also drawing plenty of buzz: Aziz Ansari’s Netflix vehicle Master of None and Modern Family lead-out black-ish. Both half-hours have been heralded for addressing contemporary race issues (see Master‘s “Indians on TV” and black-ish‘s “Hope”) without veering into “very special episode” territory. The similarly progressive Transparent is also in the running with its second nod, while Silicon Valley (in the race for a third consecutive year) and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (now on its second nomination) are fellow repeat hopefuls.

And then there’s Modern Family. Though its half-decade dominance in the field ended when Veep won in 2015, a sixth trophy would give it the most wins of any comedy series — ever. If the Emmys are looking to make headlines, that might be the way to go.

What would you do if you had the opportunity to recognize one of these seven comedies when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so visit TVLine.com daily to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s most distinguished honor. (For a complete list of this year’s nominees, click here.)

1. I don’t watch Veep, black-ish or Transparent and I gave up on Modern Family around season 3. Silicon Valley, Master of None, and Kimmy Schmidt are ALL great but I have to give it to Silicon Valley with Kimmy Schmidt being a close second. Master of None is still really good, but I see it as more comedy-drama. Would be happy if any of those three win though.

2. ABG. says:

Veep will win but I think Black-ish deserves it.

Stop nominating Modern Family please. Kimmy was funnier in season 1.

• flowerduh says:

Thank you for sa ying that. I’m so tired of Modern Family being nominated. They have already won enough Emmy’s. Let new shows at least get a chance to be nominated.

3. flowerduh says:

My two favorites in this category are Silicon Valley and Blackish. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is funny but season 1 was WAY better. Especially the season finale.

4. Sarah says:

Veep had it’s best season this year, i think they deserve it.

• The Beach says:

I agree. If you consider the writing, acting and rapid-fire delivery, Veep is hysterically funny. Except for a reasonably funny first episode, I find Transparent to be a drama. I enjoy Silicon Valley and Master but I laugh out loud at Veep.

5. TvPeong says:

Black-ish is hilarious!

6. Spence says:

I’m rooting for Kimmy Schmidt or Black-ish, but I’ll be totally fine if Veep or Master of None win it! I just really don’t want Modern Family to win any more, or frankly, even be nominated.

7. Cas says:

I must be in the minority because I tried to watch Kimmy Schmidt and I just thought it was so stupid. Could barely get through the first episode.

8. No question that VEEP and Silicon Valley are the best comedies on TV. I would vote for Silicon Valley, but applaud if VEEP won. The others, with the exception of Modern Family, are very good, but certainly not close to the brilliance of the two HBO shows.

9. Juke says:

I think both Blackish and Veep had great years and would deserve it if they won, with Master of None right behind. Silicon Valley is uneven, with some characters who are too broad and played for laughs and some who aren’t funny at all. To me, that makes it feel off balance. Transparent is fine, but I feel like it was better the first season and the appeal is kind of wearing off. I’m not a big Kimmy Schmidt fan. It strikes me as just stupid. And I am so over Modern Family.

10. Steven says:

Silicon Valley, by a wide margin.

11. Mark says:

How is the Carmichael show not nominated? that should win

12. HAP says:

I’m just thrilled that Ellie Kemper got a nomination this year. A terrible sub last year.

13. A fan of TV says:

I loved Master of None. loved. But it’s probably too untraditional to win this category, and i’d love to see black-ish win. Much as I adore Kimmy Schmidt, I just wouldn’t put it on the same plane as the other two. I find every other choice rather boring, to be honest.

14. Lisa Echerd says:

I voted for Modern Family only because it is the only one of these I watch. There are so many good shows that never get nominated like “The Middle.” Big Bang Theory is still better than Modern Family and I imagine as good or better than most of the stuff on cable. Plus they have to do a full season of 22 or so shows. Comparing some of these short run cable shows to full seasons on networks is apples and oranges.

• Lisa Echerd says:

I should say Netflix or Amazon rather than ‘cable.’

• Anna says:

The Middle and The Big Bang Theory have no business being nominated, just like Modern Family at this point. None of them are as inventive, interesting, funny, or well-written as the rest of the nominees up there. And I’m saying this as someone who still watches one of these shows regularly.
      And black-ish had one of the best comedy seasons on television this past year, and they had a full season on a network. You can’t blame all of a show’s shortcomings on the old network vs. premium channels debate.