Fall TV Preview

Dancing With the Stars Season 23 Cast: Maureen McCormick, Ryan Lochte, Laurie Hernandez, Marilu Henner

ABC has revealed the cast for Dancing With the Stars Season 23, with the latest celebrities vying for the Mirrorball Trophy ranging from a pair of Olympic medalists to a former Brady. (Sorry, Jan.)

Brady Bunch vet Maureen McCormick, Olympic gymnast Laurie Hernandez, former Texas Governor Rick Perry and “Ice, Ice Baby” rapper Vanilla Ice were among the celebs revealed on Tuesday’s Good Morning America.

They join previously confirmed contestant Ryan Lochte, the 12-time Olympic medalist who recently made headlines for fabricating details about an alleged robbery in Brazil that he later claimed were partially false. A deal for him to appear on the reality program was said to be in place prior to the controversy.

Rounding out the cast: Taxi‘s Marilu Henner, One Tree Hill‘s Jana Kramer, Wizards of Waverly Place‘s Jake T. Austin, singer-songwriter Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds, retired Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Indy race car driver James Hinchcliffe, VH1 talk-show host Amber Rose and Little Women: LA‘s Terra Jolé.

Peruse the gallery below (or click here for direct access) to see which pros have been partnered up with this fall’s stars, then share your thoughts on the new cast (and predict a winner) in the comments!

1. chris says:

Ryan Locate’s only hope of not getting voted off the first week is by dancing in a speedo the entire time

• MMD says:

I don’t think that will even help. First of all it’s too soon for redemption when he still doesn’t get it so they should have waited until the spring season plus he needs to learn how to string together a coherent sentence.

• Dave says:

There’s zero chance he is eliminated early. They are building the season around him and they got Cheryl back to specifically be his partner. He will be sticking around for quite a while.

• MMD says:

Guess we’ll have to see because it’s always unpredictable so you may very well be right. If you are, I’ll be shaking my damn head and saying, “guess Dave was right”.

I’m really surprised that they brought Cheryl back after she completely trashed the show last year and I was sure she had burned all her bridges but she’s a popular pro.

• Charles says:

I agree.

Controversy = Ratings.

• Dave says:

0% chance Lochte goes home first.

• Leesa says:

There are plenty who would love to see that..

2. kirads09 says:

If Maureen makes the finals I want all of the Brady Bunch cast (that is still with us) in the audience and shouting “Marcia Marcia Marcia” in support.

3. Ellajasper says:

I won’t be watching a show that rewards bad behavior.

• Kathleen l. McCann says:

I, too, will not watch a show that rewards very bad behavior. Ryan represented America, he is a disgrace and thinks the media made too much of it for him….yes, put the blame on someone else….

4. dan says:

I don’t watch this show regularly, but enough to know that Derek usually isn’t paired with the “older” woman. Interesting that they paired him with Marilu Henner. I’m also confused about Laurie Hernandez’s casting: last week Simone Biles said she couldn’t participate because of her tour duties with the gymnastics’ team, but Laurie can appear on DWTS? Isn’t she part of the same gymnastic-team tour?

• MSD says:

I too was surprised that Derek finally got the “older” woman! He truly has never had a partner who wasn’t at least some form of front runner/had dance experience coming in. I double checked! That being said– he’s pulling double duty as he is also rehearsing for Hairspray Live! He might not care if he goes out earlier than usual. There. I said it.

• LaDonna says:

Well, Derek didn’t get the young ringer, but Marilu is no slouch either. She started in the late 90s as Roxy in Chicago on Broadway. She also was in a Broadway production of Grease. I don’t expect her to win, but I also don’t expect an early exit from her.

• TVAddictTony says:

If anything, I look at Marilu as going far, and sort of a ringer, because she has a dancing background. I’m looking forward to her participation.

• LaDonna says:

Oh, I agree. I think she’s going to be at least top 4 or 5. But name recognition is going to be a challenge among the younger viewers. They didn’t give Derek Laurie Hernandez…dance background and huge name right now. Granted, by the time we get to the top 6, name recognition doesn’t hold as much weight because viewers have had weeks to get to know them. Marilu will, undoubtedly, kill it out there with her background, but she is 64 and will have a few limitations. Derek is a talented choreographer, so he’ll figure out how to work around that. I want her to do well, and I think Derek is the guy to help her do that. I’m just saying that they didn’t hand Derek the top seed right out of the gate.

• Sara says:

Wasn’t one of his wins with Jennifer Grey? He doesn’t get paired with people based on age, but rather based on their previous dance experience.

• Juke says:

Yup. Derek gets the ringer, no matter her age. Just like Jennifer Grey and the Pussycat Doll. Marilu Henner was the expert commentator and host of a PBS ballroom dance competition. Her mother was president of some national dance association and ran a dance studio — Henner took her first dance class at age 2 and taught dance classes at the studio! She couldn’t be more trained in dance.

• Bj says:

I’m sorry but your definition of ringer seems to be really expansive. A ringer is someone who is young, has a large fan base, and extensive prior dance experience.laurie Hernandez has those qualities, Marilou Henner does not. Merely, having prior dance experience is not enough, since every season between 1/4 and 1/2 of the celebrities come with some sort of dance experience. Mariou Jenner is not the first over 50 celeb with Broadway/extensive dance experience, and none of them have won. Val got this seasons ringer, Laurie Hernandez

• Larper Hee says:

That “older woman” has several years of experience as a dancer and dance instructor. Don’t think you’ll live to see the day when he gets a Kirstie Alley, a Val Harper, or a Wynona Judd ’cause it’ll never happen.

• Will says:

I just asked the same question! Going with some friends to see the US Gymnastics tour next month and I’m assuming Laurie won’t be a part of it?? Super bummed. But the rest of the girls & guys will be great I’m sure!

5. Steven says:

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

6. Bryan says:

Lochte, Austin and Hernadez will probably be in the top 5

7. It’s absurd that Ryan Lochte is being rewarded for bad behavior.

8. Mike C. says:

Of course Marilu Henner has EXTENSIVE dance experience (she has danced in several Broadway shows), so of course she gets… Derek. My God, this show is SO in the tank for this guy it’s a wonder to me the rest of the pro dancers do not go on strike in protest.

• LaDonna says:

I don’t expect them to go out first, or even near the beginning, but Henner is far from the ringer that Derek usually gets. She’s 64 years old and her last big dance roles were almost 20 years. From the look of the promo photos, she’s still got some moves and is still fairly flexible, but they didn’t hand Derek the crown before the season even started the way they’ve done before.

• Juke says:

She danced for so long and was such an expert that it doesn’t matter that her last dancing roles were 20 years ago. Chita Rivera is 20 years older than Henner and she was in a car accident, but she can still dance rings around pretty much anybody. The only things that offsets Marilu Henner’s ringer status is that Laurie Hernandez, who probably also started dancing at age 2, is there, too, and a lot younger. But Marilu Henner grew up in a dance studio, choreographed in Chicago, danced on Broadway, and was still dancing in 2006 and 2007 when she hosted America’s Ballroom Challenge and a couple of years later when she was hosting other shows about staying fit. She is a total and complete ringer.

9. Sara says:

I haven’t watched this show in years, but I’ll be watching and voting to support Ryan Lochte.

• LaDonna says:

I’ll be ignoring him until he goes away.

• Sara says:

I mean, really? Fine, you don’t like him, but you really have to comment negatively to me for still supporting an athlete who has been one of my favorites for years? Grow up. If you want to ignore him, as you claim, then don’t comment about him or respond to comments about him.

• Britt/Brat says:

Stop taking this personally. I can’t stand Ryan Lochte either. Plus, everyone is entitled to their own opinion just like you are.

• Stacy says:

If someone’s opinion is that they are going to ignore someone, then why annouce it? Isn’t it more effective to simply not respond? Everyone complaining about him keeps him in the news. This story would have died down faster if everyone wasn’t bombarding message boards and comment sections with how much they hate him and how much he needs to go away.

• Britt/Brat says:

People can voice their opinion good or bad. If you don’t like it, stay off the internet.

• Sheila says:

Protest isn’t silent. If LaDonna wants to make a point, she has every right to say it.

• Leesa says:

Ryan has fans regardless and he is half Cuban ,, he will have a latino fan base, too.

10. E. D. Boddy says:

Everyone’s already made the joke about Rick Perry risking forgetting the third step, so if you do it, realize it’s not original.

11. Lola says:

I’m just super glad that Derek didn’t get Laurie.

• Dave says:

I’m bummed he didn’t. Val is a terrible choreographer and her talents will be wasted having him as a partner.

• Leesa says:

Interesting cast this season.. Laurie and Ryan are not only Gold winners but they are representing their latino heritages and I’m sure they will make them proud… Good for them…. Laurie is pretty and Ryan is good looking….. Laurie will do really well… I love Vanilla Ice,,,, its about time he does the show…

12. Steven says:

So this is what Original Flavor Jesus is doing now? Sad.

• Jamie says:

Right? Is this the best he can do after leaving that steady paycheck? Lmao sucks even more that everyone consistently talks about how much better NuJesus is.

13. Alyse says:

I’m surprised Derek got paired up with someone old. He normally gets the young front runners.

• Leesa says:

Marilu may be a little older but she can dance,, She has been on Broadway..

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

I thought the same thing – however, I also noticed that Derek may have some other commitments coming up later in the year. Maybe (?) the thinking is that due to his time commitments, he may not be able to hang around week in and week out in November? Hence, pair him with someone ‘more mature’?

That said, as Lessa noted in her post, Marilu can really dance (as can Maureen McCormick, to a lesser extent), so the ‘more mature ladies’ of this cycle may surprise many as to how well they do. But as always, DWTS is often a ‘popularity contest’, and so as others have noted, we’ll probably see the younger Olympic contestants making it to November and the finals. But it will be fun getting there.

14. AngelWasHere says:

Babyface???! I thought he was better than that. Well I thought Chaka Khan was too.

15. Recibal says:

This show needs to get cancelled. What “stars”, most of it are not even real high potential stars or were not that, they were like second degree stars or fallen stars or musicians.

Now due to the excitement of the Olympics and just for get the ratings on the show they have to cast athletes like this girl gymnast and the disgraced swimmer.

What does the winner get anyway besides the trophy?

16. Tyler says:

As we all know producers will be producing the show for Ryan to go far, we all need to stick together to get him out. Every week, put your votes towards to contestant who gets the lowest judge scores to ensure they make it through.

17. Steve F. says:

Yay, Cheryl’s back! But… what did she do to get paired with Ryan Lochte?!?

Also, surprised that Tony Dovolani, Mark Ballas, and Karina Smirnoff are sitting this season out (not surprised that Keo’s not in – he wasn’t that great), and given Maks’ and Val’s partners, Derek Hough actually may have some competition this season.

18. Will says:

does this mean Laurie won’t be on tour with the US Gymnastics team next month? :-\

19. Nero tTVFiddler and the gang says:

Here’s the story…
    Where’s Tiger?
    Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.
    Ooh, my nose!
    Johnny Bravo.
    It’s a sunshine day!

Welcome back to Primetime Television, Mo; we missed you. :) (RIP: ABC’s Teen Angel/1997)

Now, if DWTS can just get Johnny Bravo (aka Greg Brady – aka Barry Williams) on the next cycle this spring, it might be a ‘Brady’ clean sweep of the mirror ball for 2016-17 TV season! Now wouldn’t that be something Alice?! “That would be a good guess, Mrs. Brady.”

20. Philip says:

For all those people asking, Laurie was never going on the Gymnastics Tour. If you’ve seen the poster for the tour, they have a group picture featuring everyone except Laurie. She is not mentioned on the poster. This is what lead to speculation on her participation on DWTS.

21. diane says:

Looking forward to this season, except for Julianne.

22. v says:

Terra….her personality is soooo bad. I can’t see her making it far

23. Pat says:

Why does Artem keep paired with stars with less potential to succeed? He needs to be seen for the entire season and always without a shirt.

24. Maybe Mr. Locate will fabricate a story about how the mirrorball trophy was stole from him.

25. Angela says:

Well, my family’s in to see Maureen McCormick. And Babyface could be fun, too.
    But ew to Ryan Lochte and Rick Perry. Can we have a double elimination the first week and get rid of both of them right off the bat?

26. Constant Complainer says:

I’m predicting that Laurie Hernandez will win this year. She’s young, cute as a button and extraordinarily strong and agile. She’ll wipe the floor with everybody. #GoLaurie!

27. Elizabeth says:

Ugh. Rick Perry. Ew. Hope he goes home first. I can’t wait to see Lauri Hernandez and Jana Kramer though. I’ll give Ryan Lochte a chance although it does feel like it is too soon after his scandal and monumental hangover.

28. Sarah says:

DWTS is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find D-listers they haven’t already had on the show. I’m surprised it’s still on the air, tbh.

29. Adam Bernard says:

Even if Lochte signed the contract before the Olympics, he should have backed out to do community service rather than attempt damage control as a stereotypical fame whore. No one liked his ‘reality show’, and good dancing scores–if that happens–will only last so long. And Rick Perry? You’d think after casting felon Tom DeLay that the producers might have developed, well, a spine–don’t cast ANY politicians, regardless of party. Perry’s an incompetent, homophobic idiot.

30. Fawnda Bolanos says:

This cast sucks

31. LLM says:

Never knew how weird Maureen McCormick is? Sixty some years old and crying like a 2 year old all the time, Crazy.