Exclusive

Switched at Birth Promo: Daphne's Campus Scandal, [Spoiler]'s Steamy New Romance and an Engagement

After a very long hiatus, Switched at Birth isn’t wasting any time: As seen in this exclusive promo for the Freeform series’ fifth and final season, someone’s getting hitched, someone’s hooking up and someone’s made the Internet angry.

Daphne and Bay return from China to some welcome surprises — Toby and Lily are getting married! — but it’s not long before scandal finds the Kennish-Vasquez clan. Regina has a new, much younger boytoy (played by Jane the Virgin‘s Michael Galante), while Daphne and her beau Mingo make enemies of their black classmates when he dresses as rapper Lil Wayne for a party.

Bay isn’t faring much better, because whatever awaits her — possibly an unhappy-looking, bearded Travis? Or unhappy-looking ex-boyfriend Emmett? — has her wishing she “never came home,” she confesses.

The show’s return on Tuesday, Jan. 24, will come after a lengthy hiatus — the last new installment aired on Oct. 26, 2015. The 10-episode farewell season will feature the drama’s milestone 100th episode and conclude with a special 90-minute series finale.

Press PLAY above to watch the sneak peek, then hit the comments with your hopes for the final season.

1. Oscar the Oddity says:

I stopped watching after the second season. It was a promising series with a talented cast, but the writers/producers/whomever made some odd creative decisions that turned me off to the show. I think it would have done better under Freeform’s control rather than ABC Family’s, but the past is the past. Hopefully this final season wraps things up nicely.

• Sara says:

I lasted till the beginning of the 3rd season. The episode where they find out that Regina knew about the switch (I think it was s01e07) is one of my favourite episodes and it was sad to see what came of this once excellent show

• Markina says:

Me too Bay n Emmett please

2. Rachel says:

I’m digging the beard on Travis.

3. Lauren says:

Can’t wait!! I’m so glad Mingo’s back. I hope we get some good Bay x Travis and they stop beating the long dead horse that is Bay x Emmett.

4. Tanie says:

Hoping to see lots of Bay and Travis.

5. Jen says:

I only want to see Emmett. His character is captivating. I’d love to see Bay & Emmett together again. I like the look of the promo. The Freeform edge is more appealing for shows like this one, and I wish we had seen more adult episodes of “Switched at Birth” all along. The writers need to write a big story for Emmett. I hope they did. Sean Berdy is the best actor on the show.

• iced says:

Yes. Everything yes.

• Bay&Emmitt says:

i do want to see what happens between Bay and Travis, but i really want Bay to be with Emmitt, they belong together for sure. i mean i would like to see them get married and have kids in the show or something like that in the show.

6. Wooster182 says:

I’m Team Ty or Travis for Bay. I’m watching the final season solely to see if it happens.

7. Hadley says:

I’ll watch for Emmett and the possible hope of Bay & Emmett, but that’s the only reason. I’m bored with the exploitation of social issues at the expense of character development.

• Jamie says:

They did a pretty good job of incorporating social issues at the beginning of the show because they actually made sense and fit with the story – debates about cochlear implants, all deaf schools, deaf/hearing relationships, being “Latina enough”, etc.
      But for the past few seasons, it seems like they are trying really hard to keep up with The Fosters, but are failing at integrating the large onslaught of social issues they are cramming in. It’s kind of sad because the first two seasons were quite nice to watch.

8. DJ Doena says:

I cancelled this once interesting show for me (I was always a few episodes behind) when I heard about the two-drunk-people-sleep-together-thus-HE-raped-HER storyline. At that moment I knew the show had gone full SJW. And with this new storyarc we open the “cultural appropriation” box which is beyond stupid because all cultures have done this all the time since the beginning of cultures. Why do you think so many polytheistic societies had similar structures for their gods? Compare Zeus to Jupiter to Odin. The idea of the number Zero came from India to Arabia (back in the days when science and education still held value to muslim leaders) to Europe.

9. sarah t says:

I’ll definitely tune in to see how they wind the series up as I’ve been a loyal watcher for the entire run of the show. I agree that it seems like social issues are a little more forced than what they used to be but overall, it’s still a good show. Still hoping Bay and Emmett get together.

10. Kelsey says:

Missing Bay and Emmett together. However I don’t see how they can get them together again in such a short season.

11. danollie says:

When it comes to Switched at Birth, the only thing I want to see now is Bay and Emmett’s relationship. The showrunner ruined everything else. Bay and Emmett survive, because she originally wrote them to be an example of true love, and true love never dies.

12. Shay234 says:

I think this is going to be a good season, but my only problem is the part where he dressed up as Lil Wayne. If he truley did like him and was not trying be racist then I don’t believe it is a problem. It would be the same if a black guy decided that he wanted to dress up as Eminem.

• Anna says:

The stupid thing is I understand what the show is trying to get at (an actual real problem) but fail at miserably. There is nothing wrong with a white person dressing up a Lil Wayne. There IS a problem with a person dressing up as Lil Wayne if they use blackface to do it. Since he didn’t use blackface, I don’t understand why the show is trying to act like he did something wrong…

13. In season 3, I started to not be iterested (binge watched for the last month), but by then, these characters became a part of me, so I continued to watch, even tho sometimes, not enthusiastically. Then I became interested again, I think because I cared so much for the cast. I’m sorry to see the show is cancelled. I’m so sick of sci-fie shows, police/murder shows, that even with some of the writing, I fell in love with the cast. I am sorry and sad they won’t be apart of my tv world after Season 5.

• Hadley says:

I feel the same way. I lost my enthusiasm for “Switched at Birth” during Season 3, but I kept watching because of my hope that Emmett would have a bigger role, especially once the writers reunited him with Bay. Season 4 reinvigorated my connection with the characters, but so much damage had already been done. Why didn’t the writers ever return to Emmett’s point of view? That’s the greatest travesty of the whole series, because the story called for it.

14. Heinrich (Heintje) Karg says:

But what about Eric? , I thought Regina was with Eric , or is she cheating on him?

• Carla says:

Didn’t you see the last episode of season 4? Eric had to take Will and run again when his ex-wife found out where he was staying.

15. Erika says:

Bay and Travis!

16. Eva Chitotombi says:

Hey Switched at birth, as l watching tv very much and every wednesday have enjoyed to watching them who are deaf people joint to the soapie

17. Tammy says:

Hopefully it will be Ty and Bay, Emmet and Dapne, If Ty is not coming back , let me know. I just quit watching, hoping he would be back with Bay.

18. Shelia Troyer says:

Confused about the whole lil wayne drama at costume party can soneone explain