Gene Wilder Dead Dies

Comic Legend Gene Wilder Dead at 83

Gene Wilder, a comedic actor whose career included notable TV turns on Will & Grace and the mid-1990s series Something Wilder, died Monday at homein Stamford, Conn., our sister site Variety reports. Cause of death was complications from Alzheimer’s disease. He was 83.

Wilder was known for roles in several Mel Brooks big-screen comedies, including Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, as well as playing the title part in the 1971 adaptation of Willy Wonky & the Chocolate Factory.

His television credits included the sitcom Something Wilder, which aired on NBC from 1994-95, TV movies including Thursday’s Game and a 1962 production of Death of a Salesman, and a guest role as Will & Grace‘s Mr. Stein; the Will & Grace gig earned him a 2003 Emmy.

Wilder was married to Saturday Night Live‘s Gilda Radner, who died of ovarian cancer in 1989.

1. Kevin K says:

RIP Gene Wilder. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen growing up.

2. Wally jefferson says:

RIP

3. Kay says:

Such a funny man. Terrible, terrible loss- he will be missed!

4. Steven says:

RIP Willy Wonka

5. texmike says:

God bless you Gene.

6. Rob says:

Young Frankenstein was my favorite. My brother, sister and I often quoted lines from this movie especially Frau Blucher and then we would do a horse’s neigh and laugh or say “What Knockers!”

7. B says:

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Rest well, Mr. Wilder. You inspired much laughter for so many, and that is a wonderful thing. I saw Young Frankenstein in the theaters way back when and have loved it ever since. Wishing peace and comfort to your family and friends.

8. Walkie says:

A comedic hero of mine. I will miss him.

9. LAwoman says:

Loved him in Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. RIP Mr. Wilder.

10. Whatevah8 says:

Rest In Peace. Now he is w/ Gilda.

11. Sue O' Donnell says:

My heart is heavy, Give our condolences to his family & friends. I got to shake his hand once at the sitcome “Something Wilder” he was such a gentle soul and will be missed. My Sister died last September from Alzheimer’s complications. RIO 💕

12. Brigid says:

Always loved him! One of the funniest guys ever. Blazing Saddles is one my most favorite movies of all time. He will be missed. RIP Gene and give Gilda a big hug when you see her.

13. dave wunder says:

so shines a good deed in a weary world!

14. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear about his passing. RIP.

15. So sad :(
    Um, you could’ve picked a nicer photo of him tho!

16. Hellothere says:

Sad. Alzheimer’s disease is an awful illness.

Gene Wilder published his memoir Kiss Me Like a Stranger in 2005.

I thought his many fans here would like to be aware of that.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that Mr. Wilder was married to his now widow, Katherine Webb, since 1991.

17. HAP says:

I hope that he can hook up with Gilda, the love of his life, up in heaven.

18. Kay says:

So sad…Rest in peace now! Willie Wonka is still one of my favorites….Hold your breath, make a wish, count to three…..

19. Constant Complainer says:

Waaaaaahhhh!!!! *blows nose* Waaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

20. Ralph says:

He never seemed happy after Gilda passed. Hope he is with her and smiling again. Thanks for sharing your genius with us. RIP

21. haldrey says:

Rest in Peace Gene and my condolences to his family. A great one among a selected few.

22. Steve F. says:

Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
    Bart: Nowhere special.
    Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.

Somewhere special, Gene Wilder is laughing it up with Cleavon, Richard, and Madeline, with Gilda at his side. RIP, and thanks for all the laughs.

23. MMD says:

Rest in peace Mr. Wilder and thank you. You will be greatly missed but I’m sure you were greeted by a large group. Condolences to his family and all who loved him.

24. Phun says:

RIP Gene Wilder!

25. Nero tTVFiddler says:

We will all miss Gene Wilder, but he lives on in the wonderful work he leaves behind for us to enjoy. Yes, he was amazing as Willie Wonka, and forever funny in Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, but the very first movie I remember seeing Mr. Wilder in was ‘The Producers’. What a film! His Leo Bloom spoke for all of us who feel overwhelmed from time to time in a world sometimes gone crazy –

Leo Bloom: I’m a nothing. I spend my life counting other people’s money. People I’m smarter than. Better than! I want… I want… I want everything I’ve ever seen in the movies!

Me too! I think we all do sometimes feel that way, Leo Bloom.

Thank you Gene Wilder for providing great and funny entertainment for all these years in all those wonderful movies: from The Producers to The Woman in Red, and everything in between, before and after.

RIP Gene.

26. Kevin In CT says:

Oh NO!! He was such a funny guy, those movies he did with Richard Pryor, Young Frankenstein, and my favorite The Frisco Kid where he played a Rabbi dispatched from Poland to San Francisco to head their Synagogue. He appeared a couple of years back at a theater in Stamford CT to do a Q&A after one of his movies was shown..I’m still kicking myself for not attending. God Bless and RIP Sir!!

27. Kelly says:

So very sad. He was a legend really.

28. Blondage says:

He truly was a genius. I’m so sad that he is gone.