Emmys

Emmys Poll 2016: Who Should Win Supporting Actor in a Drama?

Forget winter. Fall is coming, and it’s bringing with it an epic Emmy showdown between Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister.

Kit Harington — a first time nominee in the race for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series — will face off against Game of Thrones co-star Peter Dinklage, a six-time contender who won in both 2011 and 2015.

Harington, of course, is one of two new additions to the field. With neither The Good Wife‘s Alan Cumming nor Downton Abbey‘s Jim Carter acknowledged for the final seasons of their respective programs, Ray Donovan‘s Jon Voight — who was last nominated in 2014 — has snuck his way back into the category. (Fun fact: Cumming could still walk away a winner for his turn as host of the 69th Annual Tony Awards.)

Also back for another shot at victory are Bloodline‘s Ben Mendelsohn and House of Cards‘ Michael Kelly, both of whom were up for their first statues last year. Meanwhile, Better Call Saul‘s Jonathan Banks is hoping the fourth time’s the charm, having previously lost in 1989 (for Wiseguy), 2013 (for Breaking Bad) and 2015 (for Season 1 of Saul).

What would you do if you had the opportunity to recognize one of the aforementioned supporting actors when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so visit TVLine.com daily to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s most distinguished honor.

1. jr. says:

None of the shows from which you have been asking us to choose winners, do I watch!

2. The Beach says:

Either Mendelsohn or Banks would please me, although both of their roles were stronger last season. Kelly is very good too. Dinklage had a much smaller role this season too and Harrington should only win if it’s for poutiest performance since that’s all he seems know how to do. I’m burned out on Voight and have nearly stopped watching the show because of him. There ya have it…JMHO

3. dman6015 says:

Michael Kelly – fantastic performance last year on House of Cards.

4. Joey says:

If there’s any justice in the universe, it will NOT be Kit Harington or Peter Dinklage.

5. A Fan of TV says:

My presumption is that this goes to Dinklage again, but sleepers would be Banks or Mendelsohn, in my view.

6. Kevin K says:

Harington over his co-star Dinklage.

7. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Weren’t there any non-white men who acted well enough this year for an Emmy nomination? COME ON.

8. Iris says:

I’d love an ex-aequo for P.Dinklage and K.Harington. But it was Jon’s season and Harington’s year so I hope he’s recognized.

9. grazelled says:

This is why the Emmy’s lose viewers each year. While the actors and shows they star in may be good, they’re mostly all on premium cable channels which the average viewer can’t afford.

10. Red Mists says:

Kit Harington did a great job this season, he really showed Jon Snow’s anguish after returning from death. He was also fantastic during the battle of the bastards. He would deserve to win this category.

11. Kay says:

I didn’t watch any of these except Game of Thrones, but I didn’t think it was either of these actor’s best showings. I’m not really sure what the criteria is, if they’re on the list. Don’t get me wrong, I think Peter Dinklage is amazing with everything he does, but his role was much smaller and he wasn’t given much to do. It seems like most episodes he just walked around and cracked jokes- he did so superbly but is that Emmy material? And Kit Harington did what exactly? He literally spent an entire episode dead on a table, and then had brotherly bonding moments? I love them both, but I don’t really get it.

• DD says:

You clearly did not watch the season then if you claim that Kit did nothing but lie dead and have brotherly moments.

May I refresh your memory, or will I be spoiling season 6 for you? LOL
      – Post resurrection – his anguish, sadness, scared, confused reaction, and his dealing with the mutineers
      – though you mentioned it, I may need to refresh your memory. Very heartwarming reunion with his sister, and then explaining to his sister why he tired of fighting, very strong scene.
      – skip over a few episodes that his roles were small in, jump to when the starks were pleading to the houses to help them out. You can sense the desperation in his voice and his face.
      – and then episodes 9 and 10… Umm??? did you skip those? The battle was all jon. Like that entire episode was 60% kit harington. And then episode ten, king in the north.

Please, rewatch the season lols

12. Lala says:

Harrington all the way…

13. HAP says:

In my opinion, the best actor of the lot is Ben. And I have also share that I have a problem with Jon Voight’s hard right politics.

14. Kurt says:

Anyone but Harrington, I’m still struggling to understand what’s ”outstanding” in his performance

15. ToyCannon says:

Cory Michael Smith & Robin Lord Taylor both should have been nominated for their work in “Gotham”.

16. CK says:

Ben Mendelsohn or Jonathan Banks,whom I still think was robbed when he was nominated for BB. I think Kit got in because of a extraordinarily strong episode (meh performance) and Dinklage is always great. Haven’t watched enough of the last House of Cards season to judge Michael Kelly nor do I wanted Voight’s show.

17. I'm Batman says:

It’s ridiculous not one of the nominees is from traditional over the air, free broadcast television. The Emmy’s should change and be limited to free tv and basic cable only.

• Jamie says:

Nah, BS. These big basic cable networks sacrifice quality for ad money – why should they be given awards for that? Other networks actually put out quality programming, but you think they should be looked over so the lesser quality programming can win awards? That makes zero sense.
      Les Moonves, the President and CEO of CBS, makes around $60 million a year, but then these big networks claim they don’t have the money to not structure their network around ad services/highest viewership. They choose money over quality, so they don’t deserve a leg up in the awards season.

18. I'm Batman says:

Who watches ANY of these non-fee/basic cable shows?