VMA 2016 Best Moments

VMAs 2016: Ryan Lochte's Apology, Kanye's Rant and More Key Moments

While compiling a list of the best and worst moments from Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, it was — much as this pains us to say — significantly easier to sniff out the latter.

Sure, the ceremony featured killer performances from Beyoncé, Ariana Grande and Britney Spears — who returned to the VMA stage after a seven-year hiatus — but they were padded with a whole lot of unnecessary nonsense.

From the show’s endless parade of co-hosts to its barrage of missed jokes — we swear Key and Peele are funnier than their material was tonight — the wait between performances was truly painful.

Speaking of performances, Rihanna deserves a special shoutout for working so hard to keep the energy of the ceremony up; the Video Vanguard Award winner capped off a series of hot performances with some sweet Drake banter, putting her in the running for the night’s MVP. (But we’re pretty sure that title still goes to Beyoncé).

Browse our gallery of the best and worst VMA moments below, then drop a comment with your own thoughts on the night: Are we being too hard on MTV?

1. SWE says:

Why do they give Kanye the time ? Stop unnecessarily nominating him and never let him perform or present.

2. Lala says:

TVline what you on about, Jimmy was hella funny…he was very amusing, seeing Phelps freak out over the Lochte-look was priceless. Another priceless moment was Kanye making everyone cringe & so uncomfortable….hilarious.

3. AngelWasHere says:

Yeah. I thought Jimmy was funny. It’s too bad he didn’t host. Key and Peele were horrible. DJ Khaled too. Pure torture. As for the show, it was alright. The usual snooze littered with typical performances. Kanye rant was even boring. The video too. Well till the cat face chick. That did make me say WTF followed by a good eye roll.

4. JM12 says:

Kayne is just a big yawn at this point.

Beyonce . . . just wears me out. Like usual, I was impressed by her performance but didn’t actually ENJOY it. She’s exhausting. Everything with her has to be an epic event. I can always see and feel how hard she’s working, nothing feels natural or organic about it. Rihanna performing FOUR times was way less tiresome.

5. Sara says:

I used to think Jimmy Fallon was funny, but his schtick has gotten old.

• elaine021455 says:

Agree – that is also the problem with Jimmy Fallon – he was great on SNL in skit comedy but as a stand alone act – not so much. He tries too hard. I can’t bear to watch him. Hey Jimmy – watch old Johnny Carson clips and learn something.

6. readenreply says:

I guess getting the Vanguard award means you don’t even have to try to sing and half lip sync all your numbers. Rihanna was an embarrassment last night.

• sarah t says:

I agree, they constantly give Britney crap for not singing live but Rhianna barely did (and she doesn’t even really dance to somewhat give her an excuse to not sing live). Plus, sat through all of Rhianna’s performances for no Umbrella? really? The song that catapulted her and couldn’t even throw that in there. MTV just tries way too hard.

• elaine021455 says:

I saw that too! Boring.

7. Kandice Mitchell says:

Nicki Minaj looks deformed I saw nothing sexy about that Rihanna looked and perform like she was on a super cocktail Brittany well she looked lost in the grabbing of crotch like what do I do with this? Where is it ???? Nick Jonas looked like something off Disney ice skate skate show ??? Wth….wtf was easy wearing his hair looked like something off grease he’s singing like the next Eminem (not) and dressed like gay urban cowboy not a pretty combo then las Vegas Barbie can’t find his #### true story awful
    Haysley and chain smokers? She sounded like she smoke 2 packs and some harsh weed I wanted to give her a cough drop Kayne ???? Who in the hell are you??? Why did MTV let him buy time to waste his hot breathe and Kim Kardashian west???? Who does this??? Lmao oh my God!!!! What next the only one that had talent was Beyonce sad but true really should of just been her lemonade special and gave me lemons to throw at everyone else because no one else was good worst VMA ever they beat Miley cirus. Hands down what has happened to our generation seems like all I saw was Botox and meat flapping and no singing

8. Antoinette says:

For people that are confused with the Rihanna performance it okay. All her fans from the island got it and LOVED IT!!!!!

9. Jimmy says:

Honestly this year’s VMA’s felt like a few weeks ago, MTV said, “Oh yeah, we have the VMAs coming up!”, threw a bunch of stuff together, and this is the best they could do. They couldn’t book everyone they wanted so they gave Beyoncé 15 minutes and plugged the rest of the holes with Rihanna and Key and Peele.

I just keep waiting for the show to return to its late 90s/early 2000s glory, but I guess I should stop.

The pre-show was also truly awful.

10. Jaimee says:

I always appreciate a reference to Drake’s Degrassi days, so kudos :)

11. Carolyn p says:

The VMAs have really gone downhill in the past few years. People use to call BS on lip syncing, but now it’s OK because the performance was good. We’re not watching SYTYCD people. If you’re a singer then SING. On a positive note, Beyoncé, as always, was spectacular. She’s proof that you can sing while performing choreography. No wonder she is the QUEEN.

12. Ryan says:

Loved Rihanna n Beyonce’s performances as usual.