fear the walking dead season 2 episode 9 recap

Fear the Walking Dead Recap: Hotel Hell

In this week’s Fear the Walking Dead, Nick learned that there were still people in the world that were crazier than him; Madison, Strand, Alicia and Ofelia checked into Mexican Horror Story: Hotel; and we all got to tag along on a trip to a post-apocalyptic Costco. Oh, and by the end of “Los Muertos,” only one of those characters wasn’t in imminent danger. Who got off easy (for now)? Read on!

RUDE AWAKENING | As the episode began, Nick happened upon a little girl crying as she watched her father voluntarily leave the fenced-in Tijuana compound through a bus in order to be devoured by walkers. “From death we come,” chanted the crowd en español, “and to death we deliver ourselves.” (Mmkay.) Later, Maddie’s son was recruited by Luciana to accompany her on a grocery run “’cause nobody’s gonna miss you,” she noted. What about her? “The only one who’s gonna miss me is already missing.”

On the road, Luciana explained that the gory ritual Nick had witnessed that morning was commonplace. “Those near death,” she said, “deliver themselves to the dead.” It’s all part of the earth washing itself clean and becoming new, she added. When Nick guessed that that was Alejandro talking, not her, she argued that the pharmacist was right to have faith. After all, he’d been bitten — she’d seen the wound firsthand! — and lived to tell.

fear the walking dead season 2 episode 9 recapSHOP TILL YOU’RE POPPED | In East Tijuana, Luciana traded Oxy with drug dealers — well, now everything dealers! — for a shopping spree in their well-stocked store. Though she was unhappy to find out that she and Nick could take only one cart full of supplies rather than the usual two, the exchange went reasonably well — until her companion was busted for stealing a Ding Dong!

For a minute, it looked like Nick was gonna get his hand macheted off. But, having spotted the gang’s leader tending to his sick sister, the recovering junkie threatened to cut off their painkiller supply if he wasn’t freed — and if they weren’t given an extra cart full of supplies, too! The gamble paid off. However, it also made the gang curious about the location of Luciana’s compound.

fear the walking dead season 2 episode 9 recapCHURCH OF THE POISONED MINDS | Back at la colonia, Nick gave the cake for which he’d almost lost a hand to the little girl whose father had been the walkers’ breakfast — in the process, melting Luciana’s cold exterior a little. Alejandro, on the other hand, didn’t see any need to comfort the kid — or anyone ever, for that matter. They needed faith, not comfort!

After the pharmacist pitched Nick on the idea that the true believers would outlast death — and inadvertently flashed his huge bite mark! — he warned that if the newcomer put his people in danger again, he’d “feed [him] to the wall.” Next thing we knew, Nick was nervously chanting along with his new community as Alejandro christened them “the chosen ones” and “the children of the resurrection.”

CHECKING IN | Meanwhile, Strand and Alicia finally convinced Madison to give up searching for Nick and head for the Abigail. Unfortunately, the yacht wasn’t where they’d left it — it had been swiped by the military, Victor guessed. What to do? “We walk into the sea,” suggested the newly orphaned Ofelia. Or, chimed in Alicia, we could check out that hotel up the beach. That clearly being the better idea, that was what they did.

Of note: The place was locked up when the group arrived. No one living or undead came out when Strand rang the bell. (“Service is subpar,” he drolly remarked.) And someone had used “Do Not Disturb” signs to mark the doors of the rooms that had walkers in them. Curious.

fear the walking dead season 2 episode 9 recapLAST CALL | While Alicia and Ofelia searched the rooms for minibar leftovers — with the latter, along the way, revealing just how hopeless she was really feeling — Strand poured Madison a “medicinal” martini to take her mind off Nick. A coupla rounds later, and he was admitting that, if they’d met at another place and time, he’d surely have hit on her, and she was working out her frustrations on the barware.

Upstairs, Alicia misplaced Ofelia just as someone was seen falling from a floor above them — a moment so unexpected, I actually jumped. Was it Ofelia? Was she more than depressed, suicidal? No, it turned out the walkers were escaping from their rooms and falling off their balconies! While Alicia tried to find Ofelia — and found only a stairwell full of walkers! — Strand and Madison were being surrounded by walkers drawn to all the noise she’d been making!

What did you think of the episode? Was I the only one who jumped when the first walker fell past the window? Do you think we’re about to get one of the “huge deaths” the cast teased at Comic-Con? Hit the comments!

1. JP says:

You missed the potential connection/(could be revelation) that Madison is a Southern belle! Could she be Rick Grimes sister? Cousin, etc…. Producers said there is something to connect the shows… Overall, better than last week, but still moving to slow

2. Kim says:

I think I missed, even after watching the scene twice, how Madison’s husband really died.

• Brooke says:

That was shown in the last episode when she met Nick at his rehab place-he was killed in a car accident.

• Amy says:

I sort of missed it too. I thought that he was suicidal and drove into oncoming traffic, while my boyfriend thought he was either drunk or on drugs, causing him to drive into oncoming traffic.

• Wordsmith says:

We know that Madison told the kids that he died after falling asleep at the wheel, but that was a lie. I was unclear on what the actual cause of the crash was, though. Suicide? Drugs/alcohol?

3. Over it says:

Wow. Worse and worse. smh

Thanks for the recap. Keeps me from having to watch this dreck!

• wrstlgirl says:

LMFAO!! This is hilarious. If you hate it that much then why bother at all. The show is what it is, it’s not gonna change.

4. A. D. says:

Damn not sure how much more I can take…this show gets slower and slower….and more depressing and boring…how can this show be from the same people behind TWD??? ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. Shaun says:

Madison and Strand acted like idiots making all that noise.Also how smart are those walkers to launch themselves over the guard rails and climb onto the bar?

• Jim says:

They were drunk. Dumb thing to get drunk, sure, but very human.

• Tiffany says:

And the most human(e) thing they’ve done in a while at that.

I was so confused too, as to how he really died…and they are avoiding saying it on Talking Dead as well. Bit irritating lol.

6. NVNikki says:

READY FOR A WALKER TO JUMP THE SHARK OR CALL IT QUITS – that really isn’t that saying the same thing?

I really really wanted to love this show… Then when it came out I would be OK just really really liking the show… Now I’m just hoping to tolerate it enough to actually find some type of redeeming quality that I can use for an excuse to continue watching it… But after this weeks episode I’m not sure that I can even Lie to myself anymore… This is so darn – insert bad words here – disappointing… This has nothing to do with The Walking Dead … The shows are just worlds and worlds apart… And to be honest with you my eyesight’s not so good I’m tired of having to read half of the script each week ….. Yes I’m one of those Americans who never learned to speak Spanish… So let’s just say that the show called “fear The Walking Dead” … It should be more like …… fear the worst spinoff show ever… May be a zombie will eventually jump a shark… heck even happy days had Laverne and Shirley… LOL …..this… So called spin off… Is just bad BAD…… And then double down on everything I said because I was trying to be kind in this post

This could be a really bad review but nothing could be worse than the actual show

So sad to even be writing this

• Mike M says:

I have had to stop watching, it had gotten SO bad that the amount of negativity this so called spin off was generating for me was actually starting to affect how much I cared about tuning back in to the original… how great is that… when your attempt to expand a loyal fan base actually starts to shrink it!

• Joe says:

I’m the opposite,I rather watch this then the mothership ( ” Glen’s death and the overhyped over inflated finale) turn me off

7. Lilly says:

Wow. I came on here the morning AFTER FTWD to see if everyone was thinking as I was (yep, pretty much). Normally, on TWD, if you wait until the next day to comment, there are 6970 comments already, and everything has already been said. TWELVE comments here. Twelve. WTH are these creators/writers thinking? I’m a die hard TWD fan, so I’m sticking with Fear – if for no other reason than to pass the weeks until the “real” show returns – but it’s getting to the point where I’m rolling my eyes over and over as I watch the show!

-Why??? Why do they have to focus on the Mexican culture’s love of death? AND continue to set the show entirely in a foreign country where I have to read subtitles constantly because, of course, that’s authentic?
    -Have they never heard of the concept of creating characters to whom watchers can relate?? I have NOTHING in common with a completely disfunctional family without a sensible person in the bunch, or dingbats who flee to Mexico (wouldn’t you go where you feel familiar??).
    -Why do these seeming morons not get pre-selected for extinction, as they would in TWD? They should be dead from their mere lack of weaponry, nevermind their lack of skills!
    -Why can’t the same people who gave us a whole crew of people we cry when they die give us ONE character we are afraid to lose in FTWD?? I thought I like Nick, but he’s just a full-on nutcase. I still like Strand (when he isn’t drunk). And Alecia does show promise.
    -And now we’re set in a hotel that’s completely vacant? Oh … except for the zombies who just now decide to jump from their windows.

Sorry … just venting because I don’t have any friends who watch the show closely enough to feel my pain.

• William Luke says:

I feel your pain. I’m tired of this Mexican landscape, and especially tired of these hopeless characters. The show ruined Daniel, my original favorite, and now they are ruining Strand. They’ve dumbed him down to the same level as the rest of the group.

• Lilly says:

TOTALLY agree with every point. Pretty bad when a deranged old man, a conman, and a drug addict are the best characters in this show. Now they’re trying to ruin them. Strand was idiotic last night. Daniel is gone (for now)? And Nick has gone bye-bye into zombie worship.

• Jane says:

I don’t think Alicia the character or Alycia the actress show any promise anymore but the rest of what you said I agree with. This show makes me feel plain depressed, I stopped watching pretty early on with no regrets here. It’s actually kinda put me off zombies on the whole. I’ve been rewatching Vampire Diaries and the Originals because of this show to simply reminisce of a time when tv was actually good.

8. wrstlgirl says:

This episode was a little slow but I still liked it. I’m enjoying Nicks journey and we finally saw a softer more vulnerable side to Madison.

• Going Solo says:

Well, looking at the posts here, you seem to be a party of 1. Unless you interpret Joe’s comment above choosing to watch FTWD over TWD because of the Glenn mess.

9. Babygate says:

I was rooting for this show. But it’s getting harder and harder to stick with it. Most of this cast is utterly unlikeable. Strand has to be the worst character ever, with the exception of Chris who needs to stay gone. Ophelia is pointless and Nick is deranged. Hard to believe that the people behind TWD are responsible for this atrocity.

10. Pipa says:

This was not a review it was a recap of the crappy show.

11. Jane says:

Bring back Lexa!!

12. Jane says:

This show only makes me grieve for Lexa more… :-(

13. KLS says:

I thought the school bus/gate to the death wall and the Do Not Disturb door tags were good ideas. Wish there were more of these.

• Jane says:

I think you’re missing the point. This show is gonna need a lot more than ‘Do not disturb door tags’ (really?) to actually become anything close to watchable. Ps, I would prefer to see Lexa back and I have a feeling I’m not alone here.

• KLS says:

I agree that this show is slower then slow with unlikeable characters. I have been saying that for 1.5 seasons now, so I agree with everyone here. I was just trying to point out a few positive things that I’ve seen. Who’s Lexa?

• Lilly says:

Good question. I thought it was Travis’s ex, but that was Liza, I think.

• Jane says:

Wow, where do I start!! Before Alycia Debnam-Carey tragically messed up by choosing this show, there was a show she was on before this called The 100. She played this fantastic warrior queen type of character called Lexa. She was a real badass in it and such a good actress in it!!! The 100 is of a sci-fi genre too you see but tragically she let her character, the amazing powerhouse that was Lexa get killed off. To be on this show, FTWD. So as a result myself and lots of other Lexa fans were devasted and still are as you can imagine seeing as her acting and her character on this are absolutely atrocious compared to what she was like when she played Lexa. (She plays Alicia Clark btw). I am more than disappointed with the outcome so maybe if she hadn’t made that choice, I wouldn’t be so hard on FTWD (although it’s still a really terrible show in my opinion aside from all that). So basically she’s let down a lot of her fans cause we all thought that if she was gonna just let such a great character like Lexa die (and in a very silly way I might add), that it would at least have been worth it. Personally I don’t think it was and I would love nothing more than to see her back in season 4 of the 100 coming out in January. They said it wasn’t their decision though, it’s Alycia’s. Ps, no hard feelings KLS, I know you only meant well and do check out the 100 if you get sick of this nightmare show, it’s well worth checking it out.

• Thisis4fun says:

Wow. Okay I totally get it now. (Familiar with The 100 but never watched). Sad part is, based on TWD’s phenomenal track record, she SHOULD have been making the right move for her career. Little did she know Fear is written by people with their heads up their a$$es. Unfortunate.

14. Jane says:

Honestly though, I would have thought she would have seen it coming, with the bad writing aspect anyway. She would have read the script beforehand and yet she still jumped on the bandwagon anyway. The reality of it is I don’t think she really gives a damn if the writing is terrible or not. All she’s thinking of is the dollar signs and she certainly doesn’t give a damn about her fans that’s for sure, she’s made that pretty clear by a number of things she’s said and done recently. It’s silly though cause an actor is nothing without a fanbase. Lexa was so popular on the 100, she made her a household name even before FTWD and yet she seems to be losing fans now at a faster rate than she’s gaining them. Not the desired reaction I suppose and the whole Lexa thing was like Jon Snow all over again, it ruffled lots of feathers. Also, and I don’t mean to sound overly harsh here but I feel like every time I see Alicia Clark on screen, it’s de ja vu. Alycia has played nearly identical characters in loads of things before, Friend Request being one. She seems like a one trick pony at this rate but I know she’s not cause her role as Lexa was completely different, it made her stand out and stand apart from every other role that she’s done. Now and again though, I torture myself by flicking over to FTWD cause I’m hoping one of these days I’ll be pleasantly surprised and that it will finally be the episode where Alicia gets killed off by zombies or wanders off and doesn’t come back. Maybe then, she’ll have an epiphany of sorts and continue where she left off with Lexa, I certainly hope so anyway. If she can manage doing both shows again though then I’ll settle for that too if the need be. I think the moral of the story here is that if something isn’t broken, don’t try and fix it cause it will only make it worse. That definitely applies to the whole Lexa/Alycia’s career scenario and I’m sure lots of people who really love TWD will think the same regarding Fear.