Beyonce VMA 2016 Performance

Beyoncé Steals 2016 MTV VMAs With Haunting Lemonade Medley

Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards were hit with a (somewhat) unexpected splash of Lemonade.

Just a few hours before showtime, news broke that Beyoncé — nominated for 11 awards this year — would be gracing the VMA stage for yet another unforgettable performance. (Remember that time she casually announced her pregnancy after nailing “Love On Top” in 2011? Classic Bey.)

Sunday’s multi-part performance, introduced by Beyoncé’s pal Serena Williams, began with “Pray You Catch Me,” which found the singer bathed in white and surrounded by other women — all black mothers of men who were shot and killed by police.

Beyoncé then switched things up with a red-hot performance of “Hold Up,” which culminated with the singer swinging her now-trademark bat at the camera, cueing up an equally high-energy rendition of “Sorry.” The next number, “Don’t Hurt Yourself,” gave us major Cruella de Vil vibes, as Beyoncé strutted through the audience in a spotted fur cape fit for a Disney villain.

The medley, appropriately enough, ended on “Formation,” the biggest hit off Lemonade thus far. And like every song that preceded it, we got tired just watching Beyoncé tear that stage up.

Your thoughts on Beyoncé’s performance? (Apologies, the video has been pulled.) Grade it below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. CJ says:

She came, she performed, and she showed the @#$% out. She is an OUTSTANDING performer

2. Rheinmeister says:

She is one hell of a live performer who can sing and dance live straight for about 20 minutes and then Britney comes out with that performance. No contest who had the most memorable performance tonight!!! All hail Queen Bey – excellent!!!

3. Tammy says:

As usual…Mrs. B brought it and shut the house down! Turn off the lights it’s all done!

4. Rdean says:

All I have to say is wowww!!! She did THAT!!! I ain’t sorry!!!

5. Gina says:

Wowwwwwww!! Awesome!!!

6. Gina says:

Awesome!!!

7. Tom says:

I’m not here for Beyonce and her recycled ass tour routines…Also, why play your entire Lemonade album at the MTV Awards. You did this with your Beyoncé album which was amazing 2 years ago on the MTV Awards. Beyonce’s performances seem to be getting more and more monotonous

• Monie says:

Is your name Tom or Tommysue? What a ladylike comment! How does 2-3 songs equate to 12? Anyway, I am happy with her performance, I didn’t get to see her, as she only comes to Toronto about once, so I appreciated the samples!

• Perry C says:

Recycled?! You are funny! She def had some new choreo from the tour! Some people can just never be satisfied. It takes more work to show hate than love…

8. Jay says:

Her show was demonic. She needs Jesus…

9. AngelWasHere says:

I don’t get the hype, but whatever.

• SWE says:

Me either. I don’t dislike her or her music but I am not floored by it either.

• JP says:

Totally agree. She’s got a great voice that gets lost in terrible songs. Only time that I’ve heard her showcase it is in one of the last songs she performed in Dreamgirls, but obviously overshadowed by Jennifer Hudsin. I’ll listen to the occasional catchy tune, but never buy her albums. So many much more talented artists out there. Watched the VMA performance twice thinking I must have missed something the first time around…I didn’t.

10. TayMads says:

The women at the beginning when she sang “Pray You Catch Me” are the mothers of fifteen black men who were killed by police. When they “died” it was to represent the fact that their sons were killed. This would also explain why the man who got her was wearing a black hood. I just thought that was an interesting fact to point out.

• J k says:

I heard she was also going to depict all the black men killed by other black men over the past weekend in Chicago, but couldn fit that many dancers on the stage.

• TayMads says:

There is no reason to get offended by my comment. I’m just saying that was what it represented. Police brutality is a problem no matter what race you are and it needs to be addressed. The reason why Beyoncé chose to represent those women is because they were also in her Lemonade visual album. I understand why the recapper didn’t include it and I just find it interesting no one has pointed that out. Pointing out black on black crime does not negate police brutality. One doesn’t have to do with the other. They are two separate issues. Both important issues that need to be addressed.

• Jk says:

Not offended, just find it all really hypocritical and silly. The vast majority of police are good people who handle themselves professionally despite dealing with the worst of the worst in society every single day. And yet Beyoncé of all people comes down from her ivory tower and criticizes them. All she is doing is feeding into a false narrative when, if she really cared about helping the black community, she’d be telling them to focus on keeping families together and having two actual parents raise their children, getting educations, and avoiding all the activities that get them killed in the first place. You have a much better chance of being shot by police or anyone else when you are out selling bootleg CDs from the back of your car at 2am than if you work a normal 9-5 job. That’s just reality. And by broadly painting cops in so negative a light, all people like Beyoncé are doing is helping build more distrust between them and the communities that desperately need their help. Meanwhile she will head back to her safe little penthouse.

• And since you have done what you accuse others of doing (broadly painting unemployed black men with a broad brush), I think we’re done here!

• Perry C says:

You must be blind to what is happening in the world. Beyonce is more of a role model than you in so many ways including her portrayal of real life issues in her music and performances. Beyonce leads by example and as an artist she doesn’t have to say anything directly. But when she does speak her mind, you can’t get mad, because she has every right to fear what police might do to her, her husband or her daughter… at the end of the day if she is not a celebrity, she is a PERSON OF COLOR, and based on the 774 deaths by police to date, a majority of which are people of color, has ever reason to be fearful of the police.

11. Onicia says:

Kill the stage to give it CPR performance. … Bitch u slay……

12. mramos76 says:

Did anyone else see her rub her belly????

13. Derision says:

damn, too bad the fire wasn’t real

14. HS says:

she is just the QUEEN of live performances! she has it all, she can SING LIVE, DANCE LIVE! AMAZING!!

15. There is no melody to the songs and her voice is wasted by talking instead of singing as I know she can do so well. This was not singing. It was a performance piece. I wanted to hear her belt and I was really disappointed.

• Anonymously dissapointed says:

I agree it was more of a performance piece than actually singing. I like beyonce and get her mass appeal/awesomeness (is that a word?) But enough of the a$$ shaking in almost a thong. I was very dissapointed in that and am actually saddened that such blatant sexuality has to accompany every single performance now (by pretty much everyone). I think it’s a shame and can overshadow their talent. If I want to see that kind of booty shakin i’ll go to a strip club… or just watch the awards again…

16. Jaja says:

They don’t “appear” to drop dead, they drop dead! Not only that, they drop dead after being shot. And yes after that beyonce drops in front of a man wearing a black hoody. And yes, it looks like she shielded him with her body. Why do people act like they don’t get the message…

17. jj says:

Honestly I think she should have closed the show, All of the different camera angles and the variety within the 15 minute set were great and really shows how beyonce is setting the trend with the ‘visual performance’ aspect of music. But everything afterwards just felt underwhelming in comparison.

18. kiaraNYC says:

people will always have their own opinions and i respect that but when there is greatness it needs to be applauded not dissed. firstly she engaged with whats happening to the country and people are being sarcastic about it that at last she became black and when she use her voice to be heard in the way she knows how people still have a problem on how she expresses herself the question is what the hell do you want?

19. MaxSiqueira says:

I mean… the same thing on Formation Tour? Again? méhh….