7th Heaven Best Moments

7th Heaven 20 Years Later: 20 Moments That Still Make Us Uncomfortable

We’re not sure which is harder to believe: that 7th Heaven lasted for an astounding 11 seasons on The WB/CW, or that it’s been exactly 20 years since we first met Eric, Annie and the rest of those crazy Camdens.

But when we think back to the show’s 240+ episodes, it’s not the family dinners or the Christian morals that stick out in our minds. No, it’s the weird moments — the twisted, subversive, did-that-really-just-happen-on-this-show moments. They may have been unintentional, but they were glorious.

Examples of awkwardness include: when siblings Matt and Mary almost practiced kissing on each other, when the entire family broke into song for no apparent reason, and, of course, that time Reverend Camden’s gaze lingered a little too long on daughter Ruthie dancing in her bedroom. (For the record, that last one made us uncomfortable long before actor Stephen Collins admitted to engaging in “inappropriate conduct” with minors.)

Click through our gallery of weird 7th Heaven moments below — disclaimer: many of them are from Season 11, which was the TV equivalent of a dumpster fire — then drop a comment with your own Camden memories.

1. Alex says:

Honestly ? Everything about this show was cringeworthy. And it’s even worse now knowing what papa Camden was up to.

2. Amy J says:

A++ levels of shade in this article.

3. laughing hard reading the list. A+ for this article. this show was so terrible, and yet it got 11 seasons. they also sacrificed Veronica Mars for this show, yikes. remember when Television Without Pity calling this show Satan or something?

• H says:

They did not sacrificed Veronica Mars for this show. They were cancelled together, at the end of the 2006/2007 season, the first of the CW.
      VM had already aired for two seasons on UPN and 7thH for 10 on the WB.

• brandydanforth81 says:

VM was always low rated and there were creative differences between netork and studios or showrunner overdictio VM s4 was going to go in

• Kerrie says:

Actually, you are thinking of Everwood, Dawn O. picked up Everwood,then changed her mind, canceled it and picked up 7th heaven

• A3rynSun76 says:

I loved 7th Heaven as a little kid, but I would trade the last 5 seasons of 7th Heaven for another season of Everwood. Granted, 7th Heaven was the only network show I was allowed to watch until I was like 10. I credit it and Charmed for the love I now have for tv dramas. RIP WB.

(Not to say as an adult I don’t realize how entirely messed up 7th Heaven was)

• iakovos says:

LOL with you. SEVENTH HEAVEN was too sappy. Too contrived. I remain aghast it lasted 11 seasons. I hope everyone is enjoying their money.

4. Alex says:

Oh my god I had totally forgotten about the twins, probably the most annoying characters I’ve ever seen in any tv shows

5. B says:

Wait, wait, wait…is that “street thug” Matt Czuchry?! I could swear it is, and that makes it that much more hilarious.

6. Ames says:

I remember when they brought the show back after being cancelled, but then went on to cancel Everwood. THIS SHOW WAS THE WORST.

7. iHeart says:

oh man this show must have made Full House look good, but then again I don’t think anything would have made Full House look good

8. BrightLight says:

This was the BEST show to hate watch when I was in high school.

9. Steven says:

The ‘ass’ word wasn’t the show’s only curse word. ‘Hell’ has been used on occasions.

10. Literally the WORST show ever produced…

11. steven says:

Where’s Matt fooling around in the church all by himself?

12. Umm… White people (who are white) are the victims of hate crimes all the time.

Also, I wouldn’t say that this show was about Christian values. The religious backdrop was used more for generic “spirituality” and vague feel-good morality. I think Supernatural has had more actual Christianity on their show than 7th Heaven did.

13. Steven says:

This show was ridiculous. When Shiri Appleby guest starred and suspected she was in a gang and found knives, chains, and nunchucks under her mattress! Hilarious! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59uknRmnW0

• Ashbash says:

Oh god I remember that episode and how she was jumped out of the gang at the end and her family had to go into hiding. Even as a kid I thought it was ridiculous lol

• esscca@yahoo.com says:

That must be one scary gang if they’re using nunchucks

14. Lauren says:

Wow. Thanks for proving that I made a good call on giving up on this show after the first two seasons.

15. KM says:

WHY IS THIS SHOW STILL ON TV? UP TELEVISION…SHAME ON YOU!!!!
    THIS SO CALLED LEAD MALE ACTOR IS NOT ON A PEDOFILE AND SEX OFFENDER, BUT HE PLAYS A PASTOR AND FATHER….

SERIOUSLY????!!! NO STANDARDS AND SERIOUS COLOR LINES!!!!

• KeanuKitty says:

As far as I know the show has been pulled from airing, with no plans to re-air. It was pulled shortly after the allegations against the actor playing the father came to light. I personally find this article in poor taste, considering the entire time this show was on air the actor was (allegedly) abusing underage children.

16. Ian Barber says:

Wow. This sounds just awful! But look at young Tyler Hoechlin in the “Got MLK” slide!!!

17. kim says:

Well, I for one liked the show. No one is ever pleased with everything. I still watch it as re-runs on UP and there are occasions where I will pull them up on Netflix. I thought it was a great family show.

18. Tabitha says:

I love 7th heaven all Camden kids and parent . I wish do reunion show. I watch all time when on all time. All grew up now women just beautiful as ever Barry Watson handsome and hot ever . Mom just beautiful

19. Tabitha says:

I remember when Lucy got married to Kevin and Mary show up suprise everyone with Matt . I love watching ruthie grew up and saw her fall in love tbone. I remember when ruthie told her parents about Matt and Sarah getting married on first date . I love twin so cutie

20. matia says:

i loved this show wish they do a reunion would love to see rutie get married and see how lucy and and kevin and there daughter are doing they could bring this sho baCK

21. Anna says:

Ugh Eric watching Ruthie dance is so horrifying to see now that we know Stephen Collins is a pedophile. *shudders*

22. Mike Walsh says:

That musical episode was, by far, the worst! But, I bet we all remember what we were doing with our kids on Monday nights, in those 11 years!

23. Cheri Smith says:

We’ll it was my fav show. Also like House. Watched The Monkees as a kid .

• Mike Walsh says:

If this show came back, I’don’t come out of retirement! I worked on hundreds of shows over my 35 years, & this show is was most proud of. It was a great show to teach kids about morals , respect, & manners. A little corny at times, but every Monday night, my daughter & all her friends came over for dinner with the Walsh’so & TV with the Camden. They’re all still friends.

24. Anastasiya says:

I loved the scene where Annie defended Lucy and took Simon away from the gansters. And she said “I gave birth to 7 children, I can take one out”.