Kiss and Make Up Day: TV Duos Who Really Need to Get It Together Already!

Elton John sure called it when he sang “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word.”

For some people, admitting that they let a little disagreement turn into a big fight — much less walking back words spoken shouted in anger — is as impossible as it is necessary.To help such tortured twosomes embrace forgiveness versus grudges, National Kiss and Make Up Day was established.

Those who most badly need that nudge just might be the TV couples featured in the photo gallery below. Whether as friends or lovers, the currently estranged couples — ranging from Arrow‘s partners in crimefighting to Once Upon a Time‘s supernaturally separated, from Scandal‘s see-sawing sweethearts to The Originals‘ busted-up best buds — are made for each other. Yet, rather than let bygones be bygones, they sulk and brood… and, in at least one case, make disastrous decisions about with whom to have revenge sex!

Click on the first picture to start scrolling through our picks for pairs that really need to get it together already, and when you’re done, hit the comments with any omissions that you would have included.

1. Sam says:

Okay, Jo & Alex have had such an unnaturally smooth ride so far, they were honestly due for drama. They seem so relatively unproblematic because they’ve been ignored so far. Compare them to other Grey’s couples and they have had like barely any storylines or any form of angst that lasted more than an episode. Pretty sure they’ll get married this season but I wanna see them endure a Shondaland tornado that has so viciously destroyed Calzona & Japril in the past.

• Sara says:

What do you expect when after s10 they only used Alex as the perfect friend for Meredith? Alex and Jo struggled for awhile in s10 when Jimmy came around but back then the writing was also focusing on them as a couple. Ever since Cristina left there was no Alex and Jo anymore, it was all Meredith’s needs and how Alex could support her as a friend. Of course everyone always cares more about Meredith but Alex and Jo are my favourite couple and I want them to have a storyline for themselves, not be the supportive friends forever. That’s why I’m really looking forward to this season hoping the writers can finally give them the focus they deserve. The last two seasons were hell for us fans. Barely seeing any scenes of your favourite couple together becausr Alex is always needed for Meredith was so damn frustrating. Hopefully this drought has an end now.

2. niloofar says:

Fitz and Olivia & Jake and Olivia both are 👎🚮

3. Sam says:

Also Haley & Dylan? Really? Come on.

4. Cena Gomez says:

Yes, Olivia and Fitz need to kiss and make up. Scandal ratings dropped drastically after the show put them together and divorced Fitz only to have them break up for some silly reason. Olivia outed herself and told the world that she Loved Fitz, only to abort his baby and break up with him. To the fans it made no sense. Why go through all the drama to give up? Many expect Shonda Rhimes is being lazy and only trying to extend her show for another season. Fans are sick of the back and forth. Give Olivia and Fitz their happiness in Vermont. Nobody is ever happy on Scandal and it is depressing to watch. So many fans stopped watching and Olitz is the biggest draw for the show, bring them back. What they are doing now obviously is not working because Scandal not only reached series lows in viewers the last part of Season 5, but also record demos.

5. helen says:

No thank you to most of these, but especially Olivia/Fitz. Yikes.

6. DD says:

Too much. I think wrong doing on TV cuz forget kids learn more more ! Need stopped too much every day. Waste foolish money on tv make up think enough enough. Less less. More action better than make up too much sexy too much make me sicko. America is filthy

7. JBURG1440 says:

haley and dylan do not belong together, its haley and andy all the way its a much better fit

8. David says:

It is Jake and Olivia!!! Fits is not enough of a man

• LINDa says:

Oh yeah put her together with a man that has abused her physically, mentally &sexual. Why do people seem to forget that. SMH

• LINDA K WOODARD LINDA K WOODARD says:

Oh yeah, she should be with a man that abuses her physically, mentally and sexual. SMDH

9. Alinea says:

Hayley and Andy! And you forgot Stiles/Lydia!

10. Ash says:

Olicity does not need to come back, ever. Not a fan of Rumbelle either but I know the end game for them theoretically is true loves kiss and Rumple will no longer the dark one. I can live with that.

• Lala says:

+1 regarding Olicity

• Rumple says:

I prefer Rumple stay dark one and ends things with Belle. Its a more powerful messege in my opinion of sticking to who you are and becoming somebody youre not for someone you love. He doesnt need to change, he needs to end things with her

11. GirlvsTV says:

They kind of ruined Oliver’s character for me when they felt the need to break-up Olicity with one of the most garbage-fire storylines I’ve ever had the misfortune to sit through. I found it really hard to root for him after he ditched a paralyzed Felicity in the hospital, then lied to her and never apologized to her for it. I kind of hope Flashpoint can somehow erase all that so I can enjoy the show again. I really thought s4a was great, but the back half was awful. Needless relationship angst when they should have left Olicity alone and concentrated on creating a compelling Big Bad arc with D. Darhk – instead of the boring, muddled mess we ended up with.

• Sarah says:

@GirlvsTV
      I totally agree with you about Season 4A&B and the stupid baby mama storyline.
      And it’s gotten to the point that I’ve decided to walk away from the show, at least for Season 5.

• Liz says:

The baby mama drama was the worst piece of contrived crap I’ve seen in a while but I still want Olicity back together. When they just leave them be and their chemistry is allowed to shine without all the messy drama the writers insist on, Olicity are amazing. Still one of my faves on TV.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree given William wasn’t Conno Hawke I feel there was no reason for the storyline to have happened, it didn’t add a legacy character to fight crime or anything interesting. It was just soap opera

• Mari says:

The only point of that ridiculous storyline was to break up Oliver and Felicity for the sake drama.
          Such a stupid reason and they both ended looking bad.

12. brawl2099 says:

Come on guys, Hayley and Dylan? No. She’s so much better with Andy. Their wedding is going to be the series finale.

• LADY_in_MD says:

Yes to this! I think maybe another season or two and ending with Haley and Andy getting married I love them together

• the girl says:

I love that idea (wedding in series finale) but I would love to see an episode opener with Haley and Andy as their own family photo frame as the Modern Family has expanded to a fourth household. That sounds really corny but so what.

• Daphne says:

That’s my hope too! Haley and Andy get married (she becomes Haley Bailey as foreshadowed by Phil in an earlier season hahaha) and get their own photo frame! #BrainTwins

13. Nikki says:

TBH, I’d rather Olivia & Jake. I haven’t liked Fitz or Olitz for seasons now.

14. Jess says:

Yes finally you understand why Jo couldn’t tell him. DV is a very serious issue and I can’t wait for the writers to handle this storyline. I hope they will do it right. One thing that gives me hope is that Alex’s mother went through the same thing jo did and Alex almost killed his father trying to protect his mom. I’m ready for the drama but I also think they will make it because of this very detail, that Alex knows way too well what it’s like for a woman to be beaten up by her husband all the time. Also yes to making babies, it’s been hinted so many times for these two and they’d make the best parents. They’d spoil their chiildren rotten giving them everything they never had when growing up.

• Iris says:

This. I’m an Alex fan from day one, and imo only two of his love interests were positive for him as a character: Addison and Jo. I do hope that for once a TV show will be original and show characters overcoming problems together instead of tearing each other apart.

15. Lizzie says:

YES for Oliver/Felicity. I love them but not looking forward to them being apart/dating other people. It just feels unnecessary to do that after 4 seasons of rooting for them.

16. Guest says:

YES to Alex and Jo. But they need the drama. They have been ignored for two years in which they were the happy couple of the show and it was terrible for us fans because we barely had any scenes of them together. A domestic violence storyline can lead to so many great emotional moments and I’m so thrilled for it. The drama could be good for them, showing people who don’t see it how much they love each other and that Alex has no romantic feelings for anyone except Jo, which some people don’t seem to get. Also I’ve seldom seen a relationship on Grey’s where the woman was so supportive of the guy and yet haters keep saying Alex deserves better and use Jo’s inability to tell him the truth as an excuse. The issue is that she had to change her name to escape this scumbag who beat her and that she’s too scared to file for divorce. If she had told Alex he wouldn’t have let it go. The guy may not kill Jo but who knows what he’d do to the man she loves now. Why can’t people see that Jo was protecting herself and Alex by not telling him? But he will find out in s13 and I think everyone will see then that he won’t just say “oh ok”, he will see red because it will kill him to hear that this pathetic excuse of a huming being abused the woman he loves. He wanted to kill Jason when he saw Jo bruisied up in s9.

17. brenna says:

Completely agree with Oliver and Felicity. Arrow writers, please listen!! They are fun together. Let them be together and focus on fighting villains!!

18. Tom says:

Really only four couples I care about here, and yeah, I’d love to see Haley dump Andy and get back together with Dylan. The other three are Nick and Madison from Fear, Max and Randy from 2 Broke Girls, and Belle and Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time

19. Jason says:

On Modern Family, I always thought Dylan was funny but I really don’t want him back with Hayley. Andy is an actual adult relationship. It was nice seeing Hayley mature a bit and I really don’t want to see her fall backwards.

Rumple and Belle also frustrate me. She deserves so much better than him. It’s a never ending cycle with him, from which he’ll never break free and prove worthy. But she seems addicted to giving him second, third and fourth chances so I don’t have much hope for her to make the smart choice in the end.

20. Ian says:

It’s neither Olitz or Olake at this point. Too much has happened. There’s no rose garden/Vermont anymore. My God, and Shondaland has to know that. All of those TGIT shows are a mess.
    Just give me some Mellie and Marcus now, Scandal.

• Kat Aston says:

This article speaks the truth with regards to Olivia and Fitz, they are the main attraction for the show. Anytime you have two actors/actresses who ooze chemistry by just looking at each other and not speaking, you have a golden opportunity. I see no chemistry with Mellie and Marcus, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be a couple, but fans need a main couple to root for and to make them want to tune in, and two secondary characters can’t do the job on Scandal. The Olivia and Fitz characters have that job edged in Scandal’s history. I would be willing to watch them in their own spin off.

21. Yes, please, to Rumple and Belle.

22. Peggy says:

Arrow’s Oliver Queen & Felicity Smoak getting back together definitely tops my wish list for Season 5.

23. kath says:

Arrow is sooooo much more enjoyable to watch when they aren’t manufacturing bad drama to keep Oliver and Felicity apart, and making Oliver thoroughly unlikable in the process. As you said, let’s get them together and get on with the business of fighting crime.

On the other hand, Rumple has consistently lied to Belle, deceived her and proved that he loves power more than he loves her. They both need to move on from each other.

24. Karmen says:

Yes to Rumple and Belle. Hopefully season six ends the back and forth. :)

25. Yep, Oliver & Felicity definitely need to reunite. “Arrow” just seems to be a lot more fun to watch when they are together. There can still be “drama,” if that’s what TPTB want, but I hope those come from internal and external challenges they face as a couple.

26. Cas says:

Sorry but all these comments saying Jake and Olivia make me want to puke. Just no.

27. I am praying for a reunion between Rumple and Belle on Once! These two have soo much chemistry, it is a waste to not exploit it! I am also in favor of Ruzak and Burgess from Chicago PD, Hannah and Caleb and Spencer and Toby from Pretty little liars and Jordan and T.C. from Night Shift to all get back together post haste!

28. Amanda Grenanco says:

Can we just get Olicity back together already and show them in a loving, mature, healthy relationship like Dyla. No baby mama manufactured drama, no Thea-approved lie to your fiancee is ok (really?! of ALL the characters to give her “blessing” – the writers picked the one who cut off her family because they lied to her??), no new love interests, just show that the can be partners in every sense.

• Iris says:

Maybe we’ll get it when showrunners realize that manufactured, cheap, lazy, character-ruining drama is the reason why network TV shows are sinking, whereas cable shows that actually bother about mature character development and keeping their audience satisfied instead of frustrated are thriving in the ratings.

• Liz says:

THIS. I just want them together and happy so we can get back to fighting the good fight.

29. K says:

I am SO ready for Rumbelle to have a true love’s kiss that works again.

30. Thank you for including Rumbelle – who are indeed True Love. Rumple will do anything to save Belle and their child – and they need multiple True Loves kisses!

31. ninamags says:

Therein lies the problem with Arrow.

It’s NOT a relationship/couple show!!!!

Who gives a rats ass if they get back together???? Let Oliver and his team fight crime. He is after all a “superhero”. He should fight crime first and foremost.

Everything else is background noise. Unfortunately for the show, the relationship cacophony reached deafening levels and has taken over and that’s why so many people (including me) have stopped watching.

• justtobesane says:

This. Thank you.

• Iris says:

I stopped watching when they introduced superpowers and Original Team Arrow scenes became the exception instead of the rule. To each their own.

• rinaex says:

You need to be on tumblr more, I guess.

Seriously, though, even though there was relationship nonsense in S1 and S2, it wasn’t the focus, and the state of the relationship wasn’t supposed to be the freaking climax to story lines. I still can’t believe that Oliver having a son was simply used as a means to a break-up, and showed us absolutely no new facets to his character.

• Liz says:

lol Arrow literally started with a love triangle. He also banged Laurel’s sister. Romance and relationship ‘nonsense’ has been with this show since the beginning.

• JJ says:

EXACTLY!!!! When was this show NOT a soap opera with drama and romance. It’s always been this way but some people are just bitter their fave wasn’t the chosen one. Go cry elsewhere.

32. JKR says:

OY. Olivia watched Fitz lose a son and then aborted his baby. Not sure how you come back from that…

33. CharmedRumbelle says:

Thank you for including Rumbelle! Really tired of the angst — they need to be TOGETHER working things out instead of constantly torn apart. Wish the writers would realize this.

34. Iris says:

Neal and Christa on the show formerly known as Code Black. Oh, sorry! The few of us who actually watched it are supposed to have forgotten about their existence.

35. itakha says:

Absolutely agree on Olicity! Can’t wait for Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak to get back together! Such a great couple born out of crazy chemistry and talent!

36. Raesha says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! to Rumple and Belle! They’ve been separated for one contrived reason after the other for 5 seasons now. They need to be together to work out their issues. I don’t know why the writers think that these separations move their story forward. There is no relationship development when two people aren’t together. Bobby and Emilie have the most remarkable chemistry – what a waste that they have so few scenes together. I cry every time I think of the potential that has been wasted by keeping these two apart.

37. HAP says:

As I clicked through, I came to realize that we only watch 2 of the shows depicted here. And we watch TV every evening.

38. Justine Grey says:

I need Oliver and Felicity to get back together. They were so cute

39. Fosho says:

OLICITY is the best! Oliver Queen needs to win his lady back. Arrow is more human and grounded when it focuses on its relationships and characters. Wanna see this couple kicking some bad guy ass in season 5.

40. It's Delovely says:

Love that Belle and Rumple are on this list. I’m so tired of the non-stop angst with this couple, and am ready for some kissing-and-making-up. “Beauty and the Beast” has always been my favorite fairy tale, and I love the Belle/Rumple relationship–really want to see them (and their baby) get their happy ending!

41. who cares says:

the very special relationship in tvd Bonnie and damon really need o make up and legit kiss. Both have a very strong development to be a lover yet tvd destroy them just for the sake of elena, the coffin girl. They are far beyond simply fri3ndship. Platonic. they are the true we call love in darkest time. enemy to lover. they’ll be hot. will we see tbeir make up day in season 8 since jp intend to let them stay away and no way she try to make bamkn happe because she knew their chemistry could destroy what they called epic love damon n elena in one scene?

42. JennaB says:

Geez, I think i watch a lot of TV but I didn’t know who half of these couples were. And of the ones I know well, I only agree with Alex and Jo. Their break-up comes from a very understandable mix-up and they are such a good fit for each other. The other couples have broken for good reason, and they need to stay broken up. Haley and Dylan? Come-on. It’s wonderful to see characters grow after getting out of relationships that held them back, you want them to move backwards. Exact same thing with Burgess and Ruzek….talk about 5 steps backwards for Ruzek. The only reason it didn’t work out with Roman was because he moved away, that relationship had way more potential as a couple and for the character’s growth.

43. brandydanforth81 says:

Haleb,Rumbelle and The Powells yess

44. Jenn says:

Rumple and Belle please! They and their fans have suffered enough already. Even though I don’t expect everything to be smooth sailing for them, I’d like to see them dealing with their issues as a couple together (not with Belle holed up someplace away from him). I’d also love to see some sweet, fluffy moments where they share their happiness about having a child on the way.

45. Cate53 says:

No Olitz! They are toxic together and Olivia does not need a man in her life – Jake is as much of a psycho!

I am a bit of an Olicity shipper though, but I think they might be due a bit more drama first.

46. Fernanda says:

Keep Olicity happy and together, cancel the show and bring the character of Green Arrow to the DC Extended Universe along with Black Canary, his true love from the comics. Thanks

47. Jamie says:

Not technically a couple, but I’m beyond stressed out worrying about Matt and Foggy making up next season of Daredevil. I can’t stand it when they fight!

Also, Haley has matured way past Dylan. That ship has sailed.

48. Dani says:

Have to agree about Olivia and Fitz. Scandal just isn’t as good with them broken up. And unlike with Jake, the Olivia character is at least allowed to shine while with Fitz. While with Jake, all Olivia is is a prop for Jake (and her father). Notice how Jake is always allowed to put Olivia in her place, while Olivia is very seldom allowed to call Jake out on his actions. And it’s this obvious double standard that distracts you in these Olivia and Jake scenes. So if the show must have Olivia with someone, put her back with the guy that allowed her to have a voice.

• Cena Gomez says:

Yes, exactly. With Fitz Olivia is smart and she doesn’t look foolish like she does around Rowan and Jake. The writers intentionally dumb her down around Rowan and Jake in order to prop them up. I hate the way Shonda has dumb Olivia down so that Papa and Jake can make a fool out of her. With Fitz, Olivia is allowed to be smart and to use her brain. The problem is, Olivia is not around Fitz enough, so she gets played or made to look like an idiot by the rest. Coming from a so called feminist writer like Shonda Rhimes, it is puzzling why she continues to make Olivia the worst written character on the show.

49. kcg19 says: