steven hill law and order dead

Steven Hill, Law & Order's Veteran D.A. Adam Schiff, Dead at 94

Steven Hill, best known as Law & Order‘s original district attorney Adam Schiff, passed away Tuesday in Manhattan at the age of 94, the New York Times reports.

Prior to his 1990-2000 run on the NBC drama, the actor — born Solomon Krakovsky — starred as Daniel Briggs in the freshman season of Mission: Impossible in 1966 but was replaced by Peter Graves for the duration of the series.

Hill’s television credits — ranging from Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1957) and The Untouchables (1962) to King (1978) and thirtysomething (1988) — date back to the early years of the medium, with four episodes of Actors Studio in 1949. (He was a charter member of the prestigious organization that gave the show its title.)

The actor is survived by his second wife and nine children.

1. Lisa G says:

Steven Hill was great. His Adam Schiff was perfect (and I’m sure your headline will be fixed momentarily?). I always loved when they mentioned him throughout the rest of the series. They knew how beloved he was by the fans. RIP

2. Shell says:

As a Mission Impossible fan, RIP Mr. Briggs.

3. Not For Sensitive says:

I don’t mean to say that this but I thought that dude died a long time ago. I figured since he was no longer on the series…..anyway he was my favorite DA on the Law and Order series. RIP MAN!

4. EJ says:

Heard this great story: the shootinh schedule suddenly flipped when Hill, who was also a rabbi, had to be sent home earlier than usual because it was Purim. This meant the scheduled scene would have to be added to the following day, which was a Friday, thus turning it into a “Fraturday.” The Director of Photography Gus asked why the schedule change and a crew guy replied “Purim.” Gus murmured “Purim? What about poor us?”

5. shoe says:

Hoping the title gets fixed. Also, I’m spitting hairs here, but Adam Schiff technically wasn’t the original D.A. That was Alfred Wentworth, played by Roy Thinnes in the pilot.

6. Joe says:

It’s Adam Schiff. I think you’ve gotten him confused with Arthur Branch, played by the late great Fred Thompson.

I loved Schiff, especially in the later seasons of his run because he had that whole grumpy old man “Just take the deal!” approach when dealing with Jack McCoy. It was realistic because you could just tell that he was 100% done with McCoy’s bullsh**.

RIP Steven.

7. jtrattray says:

I loved him on Law & Order. Sad, but sounds like he had a great life.

8. The other DA’s were good but I’ll always consider Steven Hill’s Adam Shiff to be the REAL District Attorney.
    Mr Hill was a natural actor. Never once did I feel like he was acting. His exit from the show when Mr Shiff’s wife died can bring me to tears just thinking about his grief at losing her.

Rest in Peace, Mr Hill and may God bless you and your family.

9. Regina Patterson says:

Simply wonderful actor. One of his most moving performances was in a very rarely shown film called ” The Goddess” which also starred the magnificent Kim Stanley. If you can, try to catch it on TMC or You Tube. Patty Duke has a brief scene in this film that will break your heart. Both now gone…both irreplaceable.

10. daviddavid says:

I’ve been watching many of the early eps on Sundance – damn, Hill was terrific.
    Smart, snappy and just plain excellent. RIP!

11. Carolyn says:

Actually Adam did not leave when his wife passed away

12. chevjuls says:

I was just watching him on Mission: Impossible a couple a nights ago, he was so handsome also loved him on Law and Order he will be miss dearly.

13. LADY_in_MD says:

Just watched him during a Saturday morning L&O marathon over the weekend always liked him on the show
    Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues

14. L % o says:

Gonna sound odd, but my favorite part of watching Schiff and Stone and McCoy was the way Schiff would give a quick suck on his teeth when contemplating something. I guess it was supposed to be just a tic, a habit of Adam’s, but it brought his character to life for me.

15. Wendy says:

Adam Schiff added a layer of gritty cynicism that probably went hand in hand while working as a DA. Steven Hill was a very talented actor and it was a pleasure watching him for 10 seasons on “Law & Order”. RIP, sir! (As an aside, when it was streaming on Amazon Prime about a year ago, I was surprised that he, not Peter Graves, was the original lead in “Mission Impossible”. Got a little kick out of it. )

16. Jamie says:

Loved him on Law and Order. Perfect tone and timing for a rough and gruff DA. RIP Mr. Hill.

17. Luis says:

So sad. I loved him on “Law and Order,” and I enjoyed seeing him on “Mission: Impossible”

18. albertj15 says:

HE WAS VERY GOOD AS THE D. A. ON LAW & ORDER. HE COULD HAVE RUN FOR THE OFFICE AN WON HE WAS THAT GOOD. WHEN HIS T V WIFE WAS DYING HE MADE YOU FEEL THAT HE WAS REALLY GOING THROUGH THE ORDEAL OF HAVING TO WORK AN DEALING WITH HIS WIFE DYING

19. Carlos Lee says:

I was a big fan of his work on “Mission: Impossible”. RIP.

20. tatjanav2 says:

I really liked him in Law & Order, RIP

21. JenJ says:

I think I only saw him once or twice on the L&O series, I didn’t watch that much in those days. But I did watch him in Mission Impossible, and never understood why he was replaced after the first year. I was a huge Peter Graves fan, too, so I loved MI no matter anyway, which was also the major reason I never watched the MI movies after the first one. They ruined the character Jim Phelps and I have never forgiven for that.