Olympics Ratings Closing Ceremony

Ratings: Summer Olympics Closing Ceremony Down Sharply Versus 2012

NBC’s broadcast of the Summer Olympics’ closing ceremony on Sunday night drew 16.9 million total viewers and a 4.0 demo rating, ticking up from Saturday’s Rio lows yet down 45 and 57 percent from the end of the 2012 London games.

(Also, per our sister site Deadline’s handy chart, Rio appears to have delivered the least watched Olympics closing ceremony in… a long time.)

Leading out of that, a special sampler of The Voice Season 11 did 10.4 mil and a 2.7, its best numbers since Week 5 of Season 10.

Over on ABC, Celebrity Family Feud (5.6 mil/1.1) rose a tenth, while $100,000 Pyramid (4.8 mil/1.0) and Match Game (4.2 mil/0.9) each gained two tenths.

CBS’ Big Brother (5.9 mil/1.8) and BrainDead (2 mil/0.3) were flat.

Cable ratings (e.g. FtWD) famously come in much, much later, and as merited are reported under separate cover.

1. Kevin K says:

The Rio Games in my opinion was so lackluster and who knows if the Tokyo Games come 2020 is going to be better than that and what do they think about Miley’s “flower dress” during The Voice special preview.

2. Gerald says:

I am still loving the Braindead. Disappointing ratings aside.
    I do love the Olympics, but the ceremonies I don’t need to watch.
    Big Brother, I am liking where it is going at the moment.
    The games I only watch Family Feud… too bad Dave Foley didn’t get more air time.

3. kitsunesaru says:

Three words: No Spice Girls

• Drewer says:

Yeah, this isn’t surprising to me at all. Even if magically the Olympics ratings had been higher than in London this whole time I would still expect the closing ceremonies to have been down sharply. I mean Spice Girls, The Who, Ed Sheren, One Direction,Jessie J, Muse etc. I know people who didn’t bother to watch any of the athletics who still turned in because they wanted to see Briton’s best in concert.

4. Michael Summerset says:

The opening ceremonies weren’t as impressive as last time which may have caused fewer people to bother with the closing ceremonies.

5. HAP says:

Never tuned in to the Olympics even once. That said, why aren’t more people watching Braindead. It’s worth a tune in if only to see the incredible Mary Elizabeth Winstead do her thing.

6. Maria says:

My whole family lost interest in the Olympics when NBC’s coverage became incredibly scattershot…especially the women’s gymnastics coverage. So by the time the closing ceremonies rolled around we figured why bother. NBC (if they cover the next Olympics) needs to cover. one. sport. at. a. time so that the viewers can see the results in one sitting.

• Eurydice says:

Exactly. NBC wants emotion, but you can’t get emotionally involved unless you get to see the whole competition. They think they can get away with only showing the winner and then faking the excitement with a lot of backstory and shouting over and over about how exciting it is.

• Ronnie says:

I agree with both you and Eurydice. I watched the closing ceremony and thought to myself “this would be so much better if Ryan Seacrest and Friends would shut up and let the audience actually hear what is going on!”

7. Eurydice says:

I tried watching the closing ceremony, but it was kind of a mess – either a lot of wide shots with teeny ant-like people swarming around, or close-ups of random people hopping around, with any context drowned out by relentless blah, blah, blah – shut up, Ryan Seacrest. So, I changed the channel.

8. ninamags says:

The closing ceremonies were much more of what I had thought the opening should have been.

Those costumes!!!! those dresses!!! They were fabulous. I had just finished thinking that from all the schools of dance why they didn’t bring out some of those dancers and floats.

The best part, though, was seeing Mario going into and coming out of that pipe!!!!

That was made of win.

9. Cirvellio says:

Thank God they’re over.

10. Max says:

I watched most of the closing ceremonies but eventually turned it off. Could not take the nonstop chatter and inane trivia spewed by the commentators. Especially the new guy, (never bothered to learn his name), not Seacrest though, who talked as though he were getting paid by the word. Needs to learn that less is more.

11. Temperance says:

The Opening Ceremonies were so lackluster and dull, I wouldn’t even consider the closing ceremonies. We were going to get more feathered hats and random, unsynchronized poorly executed samba everywhere. Fun if you were there and drinking, tedious to watch on TV.