Anne Of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables Returns: Netflix Picks Up New Drama Series Anne

Netflix is bringing back pigtails.

The streaming giant is teaming up with Canada’s CBC on Anne, a new drama series based on Lucy Maud Montgomery’s 1908 novel Anne of Green Gables.

Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad) will serve as writer and showrunner of the eight-episode first season, which finds 13-year-old Anne being sent to live with an elderly woman and her brother in 1890. Per our sister site Deadline, Anne will integrate new adventures into the beloved story, tackling issues of “identity, sexism, bullying, prejudice, and trusting one’s self.”

Anne of Green Gables has spawned more than a dozen television and movie adaptations since its original release; Reign‘s Megan Follows starred as the titular orphan for the CBC in 1985.

Filming is scheduled to begin in Ontario this September.

1. candice3150 says:

Why??? The original movies were absolute perfection. Not everything needs a remake.

2. Kim R says:

Megan will always be Anne to me as well as Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla. As the previous comment says, some things don’t need to be remade. Just re-aired. :)

3. Dave Rudd says:

I agree that Megan Follows will ALWAYS be Anne for me (the original movie broadcast just after I finished reading the book for the first time in school), but the chance to see even more of the series of books come to life is too appealing to me to pass up. The original two movies will always hold a place in my heart (don’t get me started on the third one), but I’m certainly intrigued.

4. The Kaibosh says:

I won’t add too much to those that don’t think a remake is necessary. They’re right. I will add this: if you’re going to produce an Anne of Green Gables film or TV series: FILM IT IN PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND WHERE IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE!

5. Et al. says:

I’m not one of those knee jerk ‘don’t remake anything’ people, but when something is nailed as perfectly and beautifully as the Kevin Sullivan films (well, the first two) I guess I just don’t see the point.

6. MMD says:

The only Anne of Green Gables that counts is the one that runs here at the Confederation Centre in Prince Edward Island and is now in it’s Guinness Book record 52nd season. The show has toured the world and still showing to sellout crowds. I once saw a production in Toronto in the ’90’s with Gordon Pinsent as Matthew and Barbara Hamilton (who played Marilla back in the 1960’s on PEI and took the production on tour to the West End in London and to Tokyo) and it was awful. It was such a big disappointment after seeing the original version.

To this day, I still attend it at least once a year and it never gets old so just no. It is not even being filmed on PEI and nothing, nowhere, replicates this Island and its red soil. So just NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t even care if it is a CBC production and they are usually excellent!

7. Amber says:

As much as I LOVE the ’80s adaptation, I am open to this. I don’t see it as a remake but rather someone else’s interpretation of Montgomery’s beloved novels. Hopefully, this will be well done. And if it is, then the show could continue and cover all the Anne books Sullivan wasn’t able to once he lost the rights.

• Emily says:

Yeah. We’ll always have the Megan Follows version, but I admit that it would be great if Anne Shirley could be introduced to a new generation of readers who will love her as much as we did.

8. Michael says:

We just returned from PEI. I cannot wait for this series. I hope it follows the books more closely than the Sullivan productions. I encourage people to seek out Akage no An, the anime version produced in 1979. It follows the first book almost verbatim.

9. Kat says:

megan fellows will always be my anne shirley, and jonathan crombie will always be my gilbert blythe. but i’m open to a new series and hopefully there will be new fans that discover anne’s story

10. Tony Lang says:

No one will ever top Richard Farnsworth as Matthew; he IS Matthew, he’s who I see when I re-read the book. Even Martin Sheen -whom I always love- couldn’t come close to him in a recent TV movie.

11. A fan of TV says:

Being Canadian, I have seen Anne of Green Gables in so many iterations that had nothing to do with Megan Followes, that I won’t scoff at a remake/revival or what have you. To me, it’s basically at the point where it’s just another performance of the story, like Romeo & Juliet or Othello. To Canadians, there never has been only ONE Anne, so I welcome what they might do with it, but agree that the show Americans are familiar with left big shoes that might be tough to fill.

12. Carla UK says:

Grew up with the ‘Anne’ books. Loved them!

Just hope they keep to the original story and don’t start messing with it.

Will give it a go. Enjoyed the Megan Follows version with Coleen Dewhurst as Marilla. It was charming.

Wasn’t too keen on the sequels though. Seemed to waiver from the books quite considerably.

13. Margaret says:

Yay!!!!

14. Margaret says:

Can they run the Megan Fellows version in the meantime, on Netflix.

15. Mr. Sunshine says:

When I read this yesterday, this made my day,. The original is one of my all time favorite movies. Can’t wait to see more of Anne with an “e” and Gilbert. I would really like to see a continuation of their lives after they are married which is in the great book series which I highly recommend!