Olympics 2016 Ratings

Ratings: Olympics Slip Again on Day 12

NBC’s coverage of the Summer Olympics on Wednesday averaged 20.5 million total viewers and a 5.8 demo rating, down 15 and 16 percent from Tuesday night (pending adjustment) and off 30 and 40 percent from Day 12 of the 2012 London games (29.1 mil/9.4).

Wednesday’s broadcast is on track to mark the second-lowest numbers of Rio competition, besting only Night 1 (19.5 mil/5.5).

Elsewhere….

* CBS’ Big Brother (5.9 mil/1.8) and American Gothic (2.4 mil/0.4) were steady.

* The CW’s Penn & Teller (1.5 mil/0.3) ticked down a tenth, while the premiere of My Last Days (550K/0.2) did half of Whose Line’s most recent numbers.

1. Max says:

Perhaps if they showed sports other than volleyball and beach volleyball during prime time more people would tune in.

• Mark says:

I agree, though I did watch everything I had time to watch I think they split things throughout the networks WAY too much. There should have been more variety in the primetime.

• Carla Krae says:

3/4s of the night was Track and Field, so come on. Plus, Kerri Walsh-Jennings is a perennial favorite people have watched for years.

2. KLS says:

Olympic Fatigue?

3. Jamie says:

There just seems to be a lot of filler in their coverage, and I don’t understand their scheduling. I get frustrated trying to watch in prime time. So I’ve tried more streaming live when possible. Then, watch the highlights on things I missed.

4. Matthew Halverson says:

I’m sure that it doesn’t help that some of us got in the Tribune Media – Dish Network dispute don’t have an NBC channel right now.

5. june says:

I don’t think this is representative of the population watching or not watching–I’ve heard from a lot of US friends and blogs that they are finding alternate coverage because they find the NBC coverage so terrible. If you want to watch any sports other than what the US team is in, good luck.