Nia Long Beaches

Beaches Remake on Lifetime: Nia Long Nabs Barbara Hershey Role Opposite Idina Menzel's Bette Midler

Nia Long, you are the wind beneath Idina Menzel’s wings.

The actress, most recently seen in ABC’s one-and-done comedy Uncle Buck, has landed the Barbara Hershey role of Hillary in Lifetime’s forthcoming remake of Beaches, TVLine has learned.  As previously reported, Menzel will fill Bette Midler’s shoes as CC.

Per Lifetime, the modern-day remake of the beloved 1988 tearjerker chronicles “the serendipitous meeting of two youngsters on the Venice Boardwalk, who, though worlds apart in lifestyle, embark on unexpected and lifelong friendship. CC is an aspiring singer trying to make it in Los Angeles, while Hillary is the daughter of a prominent civil rights lawyer who struggles to find her own destiny. Their friendship—even with its ups and downs—sustains them for decades.”

The pic will feature new takes on the classic songs “Wind Beneath My Wings” and “The Glory of Love” and include several other songs recorded specifically for the movie. Production began Monday in Vancouver with an eye toward a 2017 premiere date. Allison Anders (Ring of Fire) is set to direct from a script by Bart Barker (Honeymoon with Harry) and Nikole Beckwith (Stockholm, Pennsylvania).

Long’s other TV credits include Third Watch, House of Lies and Hand of God.

1. Brian says:

Good casting.

2. Barbara says:

I wholehearted agree with this casting. Nia is an amazing actress.

3. Jennifer says:

Congratulations, Nia! I’m really looking forward to this.

4. Ian says:

A pleasant surprise. I like this.

5. ludi66 says:

Sorry but anyone who has seen “Beaches” can not possibly want a remake. What is the matter with Hollywood these days can’t they be more original? Hershey/Midler were so excellent that it would be crazy to even try to do it again.

6. Lydia Green says:

That’s a priceless movie, which I love and to have it made over, I have my tissues, looking forward to see it.

7. cccloc says:

Political correctness run amuk.

8. Stephen says:

MIDLER not Miller. Give the Divine Miss M the respect she deserves, unlike Idina Menzel who is giving Bette a big FU by taking on one of Bette’s iconic roles.

9. Alyson says:

I for one am dumbfounded. I agree with every comment before me, who said that Remakes should be shot in the face and berried in a bog, probably in New Jersey where the original took place! Oh wait! They are in Venice now! I like Idina Menzel and was even mildly hoping they would put lightning in a bottle again. I had mild Delusions of the Divine Miss M. Playing CC’s Mother! which would have been a nice nod to the story. or here’s a Thought! lets start fresh and Have this be Victoria’s story? oh well, spilled milk really. I for one will not be Watching, it was all hinging on who they got to play Barbra Hershey’s Roll, and this seals it for me. Nia may be a good Actress, but she is no Barbra Hershey. I am not even sure they could find someone to replace her if they tried. trying to replace this cast over all had my teeth on edge. just please stop doing remakes people, re air the original, amazing version, and get on with your life.