Arrow Season 5 Colton Haynes

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Flash, NCIS, Bones, HTGAWM, Sleepy Hollow, Arrow, TVD, Jane, S.H.I.E.L.D. and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Any word on what Laurel made Oliver promise her right before she died on Arrow? Was it something for him to do or not do? —Kia
Ausiello: Look at Kia kicking off the first new AA in more than a month with a sensational Q! Here’s your answer, straight from showrunner Wendy Mericle. “It is both actually, and you’ll find out what it was in [the Oct. 5 premiere],” teases the EP, who adds that the reveal will “inform a lot of Season 5.”

Question: Safe to say we’ll see Colton Haynes’ Roy back on Arrow this season? —Jen
Ausiello:
It’s actually not safe to say. Mericle tells us that Haynes — who’s currently shooting an arc on Fox’s Scream Queens — is not currently set to return. The key word there being currently. “We would have Roy back in a heartbeat,” she says. “If the right circumstances come up and the right storyline presents itself, absolutely.”

Dead LetterQuestion: I’m starting to feel NCIS withdrawals kicking in, so I would love any scoop you can share. —Michelle
Ausiello: I can report that Duane Henry won’t make his series regular debut as MI6 officer Clayton Reeves until the fifth episode of Season 14, which kicks off Sept. 20. (Speaking to the few who carped about his English accent during his end-of-Season 12 debut, Henry advises, “You just have to slow your ears down a bit,” before adding very playfully: “We invented this bloody language, so leave me alone!”) Emily Wickersham meanwhile is happy to have new series regular Jennifer Esposito with her up in the big orange room, whereas Pauley Perrette’s Abby is almost exclusively stationed in the lab. “To have another girl around every day is fantastic,” Bishop’s portrayer reports. “The squad room dynamics are totally different. It’s awesome.”

Question: I got weirdly excited when I read that Sarah Salvatore is coming back to The Vampire Diaries. Any idea what brings her back to Mystic Falls? –Chris
Ausiello:
That’s a good question, Chris. So good, in fact, that we posed it to executive producer Julie Plec, who offered this cryptic response: “It’s actually a mystery what brings her back. It’s seemingly disconnected to everything, and yet when we realize the what, we understand that it’s tied into exactly what the villain is attempting to do.” I’m curious to hear how you interpret that — once you’ve re-read it a few times, of course.

lgn115a0040bjpg-685082_765wQuestion: Tell me Snart isn’t really dead on Legends of Tomorrow! Tell me there is some way to get him back! —Paige
Ausiello: The Leonard Snart that traveled with the team in Season 1 very much perished as a hero. But as you know by now, some version of Captain Cold belongs to the Legion of Doom that is set to vex the Legends this fall. As such, you can count on some double takes. “I’m very excited to see Rory meet whatever incarnation of Leonard Snart we might choose,” says showrunner Phil Klemmer. “It will be a chance to watch our barely reformed arsonist threaten to backslide.”

Question: Obviously I would love everything you know about Hawaii Five-0 Episode 150, but I’m curious about the after too. Will that ep change something? What can of worms will it open? —Lisa
Ausiello: “It’s really a mythology episode,” showrunner Peter M. Lenkov told Matt Mitovich, seeing as it deals with McGarrett’s mother Doris (played by the returning Christine Lahti) and Wo Fat’s father, as well as his on-and-off relationship with Catherine (Michelle Borth). “It will tie up some loose ends,” says the EP, “and spark a new storyline in the episode that follows.”

Question: I just watched your Comic-Con interview with The Walking Dead cast. I loved it. And I especially loved your t-shirt. Could you please let me know where I can get one please? —Pixie
Ausiello: You mean the one Norman Reedus was so enamored with he gave me $20 for it? The in-demand tee can be purchased here. Tell them you’re an Aushole and then luxuriate in the awkward silence that follows.

June SquibbQuestion: What guests stars are we going to see in the final season of Bones? —Mindy
Ausiello: I already told you that beloved TV vets Ed Asner and Hal Holbrook will be appearing in Season 12’s third episode. But what I didn’t tell you — because I was saving it for Ask Ausiello — is that they’ll be joined by Oscar-nominated actress June Squibb (aka Sheldon’s Meemaw on Big Bang Theory). Squibb will play a retirement home resident you do not want to make angry.

Question: Do we know yet if Bones‘ series finale (sniff) will be two hours? —Sarah
Ausiello: As of now it’s just a one-hour episode, but, you never know — Fox could schedule the penultimate episode on the same night and call it a “two-hour Bones finale event!” Meanwhile, co-showrunner Jonathan Collier is still hoping series creator Hart Hanson will “either write or co-write” the swan song (possibly with former EP Stephen Nathan). “He’s been very, very, very involved in discussing the series,” Collier adds of Hanson. “He’s the best person in history to inherit a show from because he gives you his blessing. He’s handed over the show to us, but he is also very available to us.” BONUS SCOOP: Cam and Arastoo’s nuptials will be a decidedly low-key affair. “I think [we had our] big wedding with Brennan and Booth,” says Collier. “So let’s just say that it’s going to be exciting and different.”

Question: Ausiello, do you have any spoilers regarding FitzSimmons on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Thanks! —Jessica
Ausiello: Having finally landed on the same page in the May finale, “They’re going strong, in a solid relationship” when Season 4 opens, says co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen. Though conspicuously MIA after the season-ending, six-month time jump, “They did not have the opportunity to go to the Seychelles,” the EP notes, “but they’re working together, living together…. And of course with that comes some challenges.”

Question: Please, please, please tell me — is there a Stars Hollow town meeting in the Gilmore Girls revival? I really need a town meeting. —Dana
Ausiello: Someone’s gonna feel really silly when they see this photo that was released three months ago.

Question: Now that Conrad Ricamora has been promoted to series regular on How to Get Away With Murder, will the Keating Five become the Keating Six? —Darrell
Ausiello: We’ll find out in the ABC thriller’s Sept. 22 season premiere. “That’s the question of the first episode,” confirms showrunner Peter Nowalk. “Oliver really wants to be folded into the group. He has a naughty side and he sees the fun in the dark. But [boyfriend] Connor, as we’ve seen, is against it. Also, the question remains, does Annalise want him anywhere around her? So we’re going to address that in the first episode.”

KARLA SOUZAQuestion: Any intel on who Esai Morales is playing on How to Get Away With Murder? —Joshua
Ausiello: The even money’s on Laurel’s (Karla Souza, right) dad, but Nowalk will only share that the NYPD Blue alum will be a “very prominent part in the show.”

Question: How long will Mary be sticking around on Supernatural? Is Samantha Smith a series regular? —Amanda
Ausiello: She’s not a regular but showrunner Andrew Dabb confirms that Sam and Dean’s mom “is certainly a presence for a while,” adding, “She’s not a one-episode character, let’s put it that way. That’s something we’re going to explore over the course of the season.”

Question: It has been very quiet on the Sleepy Hollow front since the writers went back to work. Have you heard any scoop on Season 4? — Debbie
Ausiello: I have it on good authority that a villain you’ve been jonesing for will be back in action in one of the season’s first episodes, tentatively titled “Heads of State.” Draw your own conclusions.

Masters of SexQuestion: Any news on Masters of Sex Season 4? —David
Ausiello: If the darkness of the Bill/Virginia/Dan triangle (not to mention that zoo scene) brought you down last season, Caitlin Fitzgerald says the upcoming Season 4 will pick you up, being “a lot lighter and funnier.” Evidence? “I haven’t cried one time. I barely recognize this character!” She adds that Bill’s long-suffering Mrs. does experience “a lot of righteous anger” and shares “a tingle” with the lawyer character played by About a Boy’s David Walton — who she acted opposite on New Girl last season.

Question: What can you tell me about this new season of You’re the Worst? —Amanda
Ausiello: In the Aug. 31 premiere, Kether Donohue’s Lindsay does something so outlandish and insane — even for the FXX comedy — that at first I thought it was part of a dream sequence. (P.S. It’s not.)

Question: Could you find out what Iris’ role in The Flash‘s Flashpoint story will be? —Kelly
Ausiello: “She is still a journalist,” co-showrunner Todd Helbing points out, before adding cryptically, “But she’s doing something else as well.” Adds EP Aaron Helbing: “One thing about Iris is she’s always Iris. She’s always a constant. Just like on Earth-2, she was a cop, but she’s still married to Barry. There always and still is a Barry/Iris dynamic, but it’s slightly different.”

6c238f57-0413-3417-b352-bf99e9861ba6Question: Can you please, please give me any information on Jane the Virgin? —Bev
Ausiello: Some exclusive Season 3 casting news for ya: Miles Gaston Villanueva (Young and the Restless, Chasing Life) has been cast as Sam, an old crush of Jane’s that predates her relationships with Michael and Rafael. Intellectual and sexy, Sam’s past connection to Jane has a surprising impact on the present (where Michael is presumably fighting for his life, although he’s apparently not fighting too hard considering Brett Dier had enough lines in the premiere to warrant showing up at the first table read!)

This AAnd That…
Remind me to tell you the real reason this recast happened. It’s a really funny story.
It’s been two weeks since I attended the TCA Awards and I’m still confused/saddened as to why not a single member of the black-ish cast, nor the show’s creator, showed up to accept their much-deserved best comedy trophy. I need someone to explain to me what happened so I can move on with my life.
Trying to get my hands on the Darth Vader version of this figurine. If you — or someone you know — is in possession of it please contact me. I’m prepared to meet any/all demands.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Andy Swift, Kim Roots and Vlada Gelman)

1. Kia says:

Wow more about Bones today, thanks for this!!

2. Manara says:

They didn’t attend the TCA awards because no one cares about them.

3. Theresa Steward says:

In defense American Language Ours is actually 16th Century English. American is more authentic of English than Modified English of the 18th Century which caused the rise of the Posh Accent. So he should learn some linguistics!

• PatriciaLee says:

A fiction-writing professor told us that in the 17th century, Charles II got all the scholars together to revamp the English language so it could be used as a vehicle for science. That would seem to be the language we use, today.

4. Jane says:

Haven’t we previously met Laurel’s dad on HGAWM?

• Ken says:

Yes that is what i remember as well… she stormed off from arguing in spanish with her father at holiday dinner table….

• dan says:

Yes, it was a flashback to a holiday dinner (Thanksgiving, I think). Basically that’s when we learned that Laurel was rich and had a controlling father/family who may have been involved in some illegal activity (at least that is how I interpreted the dynamic). I’m pretty sure it was set in Palm Beach County which is not far from where I live (in a much less opulent house than Laurel’s fictional family).

• GeoDiva says:

Thank you for posting this…. Thought I was remembering it wrong.

• rarefied says:

Yeah, he was played by José Zúniga.

5. Andrew Hass says:

On Supernatural, my guess is Sam and Dean’s mother won’t be in every episode of the season because she has to adjust to been alive and she might have to do that sometimes away from her sons.As for Arrow, i’m thinking Laurel asked Oliver to do something for her that she never got a chance to do

6. Gloria Seales says:

Any word on the premiere date of Shooter? Also when will Nashville premiere on CMT?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Nashville will premire in Dec but no specific has been set yet.I think Shooter was delayed til fall with no specific set yet.
      You have to email your questions .

7. brandydanforth81 says:

Jane scoops sounds interesting

8. flutiefan says:

I’m reminding you…
    What’s the real reason?!

9. JRR says:

But we already have seen Laurel’s dad in HTGAWM, Jose Zuniga played him in Season 1… Unless this is a re-cast?

10. A says:

Don’t we already know what Laurel said to Oliver, though? It was in the S5 trailer (and it fits with him doing and not doing something)…..
    Unless they changed it. I know they filmed a few lines to choose from.

11. JunkieCentric says:

Iris West being the one constant for Barry is beautiful and powerful. Thanks for the scoop.

12. Katie says:

Laurel’s final words to Oliver were already given away in the Season 5 trailer. Something about how his instinct is always to go it alone, but he shouldn’t.

13. Emily says:

Thanks for the Iris scoop! Can’t wait to see what she’s up to in addition to journalism.

14. "A" says:

I’m going with ‘Sarah’ is the first appearance the monster chooses to appear as and through out the season it appear to Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Enzo, Matt, & Alaric as Lily, Giuseppe, Elena, Lexie Katherine, Lexie, Liz, Bill, Shelia, Rudy, Dalton, Alex, Kelly, Vicki, Penny, Isobel, & Jo just like the First Evil on Buffy appeared to spike as as Warren Mears, Glory, Adam, The Mayor, Drusilla, The Master, and Buffy Summers.

15. erik says:

Not one show I’m interested in, Aus. Please provide future scoop/intel on the following shows:

1. Walking dead.
    2. Fear the Walking Dead.
    3. Star Trek: Discovery – how about some teases about which upcoming villains we will see. Teases on the new characters, crew members?
    4. The Last Ship
    5. The Strain
    6. Amy Acker’s role in MacGyver. Will she be a series regular?
    7. Chicago PD
    8. Chicago Fire
    9. Law and Order: SVU
    10. The Expanse – will it stick to plot of next book?
    11. 24 – what returning characters can we expect?
    12. Game of Thrones – how much time passes between last season and the next season?

Remember, this is supposed to be for your viewers, not just the shows you watch. ;)

16. Piper says:

thanks for the iris west news.

17. Lee says:

Thanks for the Hawaii Five-0 information. Couple that with Matt Mitovich’s spoiler from last week that they hope to have Sarah Carter back on as Lynn makes me a very happy fan. It will be great seeing McGarrett finally getting some answers and when they finally tie up those “loose ends” I hope McGarrett uses some good strong Navy SEAL knots. Poor guy has been trying to move on for 2 years, he deserves to be able to do so.

18. Ingrid says:

Thank you for The Flash scoop. Love iris, she’s my fave & I can’t wait to see what’s in store for her in season 3 !

19. Dee Ann korth says:

I hope that one of the loose ends is that we never have to see Catherine again! I am happy that Lynn will be back! Will the new storyline having Steve go after wo fat’s father ? I hope Steve really gets the truth from Doris this time .

20. Luis says:

Wait, don’t tell me – “Graves” EP is a Hillary donor?

21. JenE says:

Free Tom Mison!!!! That man deserves better.

22. Maritza says:

Is there any chance, however remote, that The Family will ever be renewed? esst seriesin aa lon time..

23. Maritza says:

the family, best ever TV series…is there a chance it will be renewed?

24. Q says:

Can’t understand why Catherine has to come back AGAIN to H50. On again/off again? I thought McGarrett said bye-bye once and for all several eps back. Now it’s just getting ridiculous with the whole McGarrett/Catherine thing. Let it stay dead already.

25. Pickle8182 says:

I am SOOOO glad they brought Zack back on Bones, I’ve been dying for that! He’s always been the smartest intern and only hope of someday being as smart as her. And there’s no way he’d hurt Bones. Loved his episodes.

26. Pickle8182 says:

SOOOO glad they won’t have Duane Henry on NCIS until 5th episode. I had sadly given up on the show now, as I can’t stand “Bishop” and her lousy acting, and unbelievable character. I didn’t like that other one in the ep either, was happy they didn’t sign her, but happy they did sign Jennifer Esposito. I was hoping they’d have Duane come on for an ep, and then leave. And yes, the accent IS a big problem. If he says anything crucial to the plot of the ep, and it isn’t understood, then it doesn’t work. That last ep, we had to rewind his parts just to get an idea of what he said, because we were afraid it might be important. Annoying.

• Agree about the Bishop assessment, can’t hold a candle to Ziva, saw her on an interview with Craig Furgenson and she was dull, boring, uninspired, did I say dull. NCIS will be taking a big hit , a lot of people tuned in for the Tony/Ziva dynamics and still held on because there was hope that Ziva would return but now with this upheaval, expect the numbers to change this fall season for the worse.

• mary says:

Curious, what you mean by a “lot”. You do realize the majority of people who watch NCIS don’t go to forums like this or Facebook. So to say a lot, you really don’t know. There are many people I know, both personally & on a certain board, who couldn’t stand Ziva. You have some who loved Ziva, most on Facebook. Since she left the ratings have not really moved all that much. It will be curious what Tony leaving will do. But I think we won’t really know until maybe mid way.

• Pete says:

I don’t buy this oft repeated comment that viewers are stupid enough to keep watching something they no longer enjoy in the vague hope that a character they liked might reappear without warning. Actors rarely return to a role once they leave, and had Ziva returned it would have been well publicized; anyone dying to see her would have been unlikely to miss the episode.

On the other hand there were plenty of people who watched the show despite Ziva and despite the emphasis on her disrespecting her colleagues rather than just getting on with cases.

• Beezers says:

I agree. I can’t stand Bishop. At least they stopped focusing on that character all the time.

• grazelled says:

It might feel strange but try using closed captions while watching NCIS so that way when Henry starts on the 5th episode you’ll be used to it and can read what he says. Until I can understand him better this really helps me figure out what he says.

27. Shoe says:

Enjoying the AOS sccop. All the news so far has focused on Ghost Rider and Daisy, so it’s nice to hear something about the other characters on the show. Hoping for a Melinda May spoiler soon.

28. Annette says:

Hi! I don’t usually comment on here, but I do love to help people with collecting quests. I’m guessing that this is probably not new information, but did you contact the creator of the Star Smurfs line from DKE? The creator is Greg Aronowitz and he has a studio called BarnyardFX. He has a pretty big social media footprint (twitter, tumblr, instagram, youtube series, etc). I feel like you could contact him directly to see what he could hook you up with.

As for the company, they have a gmail account: dketoys@gmail.com They are active at a lot of Cons.

I hope this helps and good luck in your quest for Smurf collecting!

I hope you can find

29. CLV says:

I am so excited about the Flash news. Love Iris, she’s my favorite character. I hope they keep improving on her journalist arc. I want to see her investigating and then her stories tying up with Barry’s.
    I wish they has cancelled Sleepy Hollow. They messed up big time and just need to set Tom Mison free to do other projects

30. Linda says:

I don’t hear anything about “Bates Motel ” please tell me its coming back. I know there was a statement saying they were only going to go 5 seasons but I was wondering if you’ve heard whether or not there might be one more season anyway. I know there was a lot of viewers writing in wanting more but I didn’t know if anything had been decided. also what about “American Horror Story” when is it coming back ?

• mary says:

Bates Motel is heading into their final season. It’s what was planned out, & what was given to them. You really don’t want them to all of a sudden stretch out what they had not planned on. That only leads to disaster.

31. Lauren says:

Thanks for the Iris scoop season 3 is really shaping up to be something special judging by all the scoop bts and sdcc reel. All I’ve ever wanted is to see Iris be a kick ass journalist and I’m glad to finally be getting that.

32. Cas says:

I hated the town meetings on Gilmore Girls. They were real dumb but I also couldn’t stand Taylor or Kirk.

33. keepsupermanblue says:

Is there some tv show where there’s no shippy crap and maybe action and other things?

34. ann says:

With all these TV revivals, has anyone hinted at reviving Dawson’s Creek?