Olympics 2016 Allyson Felix Best Moments

Olympics 2016: What Was Your Favorite Moment From the Rio Games' Day 10?

Ever since the 2012 London Summer Olympics, when track and field’s Allyson Felix used part of a post-race interview to note that she’d been binge-watching Scandal in her down time between events, I’ve been #TeamFelix.

An American runner who understands the benefit of huge detours through Shondaland? Felix is my kind of people.

So that’s why, even though I understand that Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas won gold in the women’s 400 meter dash because her torso crossed the finish line seven hundredths of a second before Felix’s foot did, I feel like I want to hire Olivia Pope & Associates to, y’know, handle the situation so it comes out in Felix’s favor.

But until I can Kickstart the kind of cash that’ll buy Olivia a new white cashmere trench, I’ll have to be content with the knowledge that Felix’s 49.51-second finish earned her a silver medal in the event, giving her her seventh win and making her the most decorated woman in American track-and-field history. (Jamaica’s Shericka Jackson took the bronze in 49.85.)

Here are some other buzzed-about moments from Day 10 of the Rio games:

* An uneven turn threw off American gymnast Simone Biles’ equilibrium during the balance beam event, causing her to nearly fall and putting her in third place for the bronze medal. Teammate Laurie Hernandez took silver in the event, with Sanne Wevers of the Netherlands nabbing gold.

* Kenyan David Rudisha nabbed gold in the 800 meter, defeating his closest competition — Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria, who took silver — with an amazing, all-out back half of the race. Clayton Murphy of the United States earned the bronze.

* The women’s 10,000 meter open water marathon swim ended in dramatic fashion: After Sharon van Rouwendaal of the Netherlands took first place and the gold medal, France’s Aurelie Muller was disqualified for unsportsmanlike behavior for swimming over third place finisher Rachele Bruni of Italy at the finish line. Bruni then moved to second — taking home the silver — and Brazil’s Poliana Okimoto got bronze despite finishing fourth.

What was your favorite moment of this day of Olympic competition? What are you most looking forward to in the games? Let us know in the comments!

1. Diva Diary says:

I know diving is legal and all but when you win like that I feel like you get no respect.

• Maddy says:

That dive was awful.

• Lola says:

I’m with you. They may as well allow false starts. I feel you should be upright when crossing the line. That gold was won with no honor and intergrity. Felix has more intergrity in her silver than Miller has in her gold. You compete the right way and the rewards are worth it. I don’t respect Miller or the win. What if someone did this to Bolt in the 100 meter? People would be livid and calling for their head. No country or Olympian should get away with this bush league behavior.

2. Sara says:

I watched the 10,000 meter swim before heading to work and saw USA’s Haley Anderson end in sixth and then later on a break saw she placed 5th and couldn’t figure out why. Thanks for posting an explanation. I did think it odd when watching the way that one swam over the other.

3. Today was the first day I actually watched something (bad Brazilian). It was men’s cycling finals (160 laps, I believe), and women’s cycling in which every two laps the last place was eliminated. I never knew I enjoyed cycling.

4. Carol Correa says:

Definetely the golden medal to the brazilian in athletics and the amazing volleyball match between Brazil and France!!!!!!! OMG!
    I wish I was in Maracanazinho and Engenhão tonight!

5. Hellenic78 says:

No “dive”. She tripped and fell. But “diving” the only way to beat the American sounds like a better story.

6. Hellenic78 says:

Wish they would show gymnastics where an American is not going for a medal. Instead we get S. White and another interview with a silver medal winner. Pathetic. 20 minutes where you can show people achieving their dreams. Guess all dreams are not created equal.

7. Kay nelson says:

I don’t understand how Miller beat Felix when her WHOLE body didn’t get over the finish line before Fix got completely over feet and l. It looked totally bogus. Her feet did not cross over before Fixes feet.

8. LynnH says:

I loved watching Greece’s Eleftherios Petrounias win the gold in Rings competition. He was sensational!

9. helen says:

Laurie and Simone were great on beam, but Sanne Wevers’ routine was beautiful. All those pirouettes! Deserved win, so graceful.

10. Eurydice says:

Worst moment:

Bob “Mr. Useless” Costas said at the top that they would be showing men’s gymnastics. By ten minutes to midnight they still hadn’t shown it and then they aired an interview with Shawn White. Shawn White – a snowboarder – a Winter Olympian – who won’t be competing until 2018. And then Mr. Useless has the gall to say “Well, we’re out of time.”