Adele concert five new songs

Adele on Rejecting 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show Offer: 'I Don't Dance'

At least they can say that they tried.

Adele on Saturday confirmed that she has turned down an offer from the NFL to headline the 2017 Super Bowl halftime show, telling a sold-out crowd at Staples Center in Los Angeles that she did not wish to take part in an event show that’s not primarily about the music.

“First of all, I’d like to tell you I’m not doing the Super Bowl,” the “Hello” singer said (as seen in the video below). “I mean, come on, that show is not about music. And I don’t really — I don’t dance or anything like that. They were very kind, they did ask me, but I did say no.”

Though the event would have given the Grammy winner one of her largest audiences everthe 2016 Super Bowl was seen by nearly 112 million viewers — she doesn’t exactly need the promotion. Her Carpool Karaoke ride with The Late Late Show‘s James Corden has already surpassed that number, having been viewed over 122 million times on YouTube since January.

Super Bowl 51 is penciled in for Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017 on Fox.

1. Jordan says:

I feel like P!nk is the obvious choice. It’s truly shocking she’s never done it before.

2. c-mo says:

I’m so glad she turned it down. They probably would have made her share the stage with 2 or 3 other people as well as a “surprise get” at the last minute. I’m in the great minority but I’m sick of Beyoncé and her schtick so I was very grateful I happened to be out of tv range and had to miss last season’s super bowl. If I had watched it, I would have been furious she took over the show.

3. Stacy says:

Adele knows what she’s about, and what the Super Bowl’s about. The halftime show is a 5 minute, upbeat concert all about the dance and the flash. Adele isn’t into flashy. Good for her, btw. It’s nice to see someone who has a sense of self.

4. David4 says:

She is right. She could just sing and stand there and everyone would love it… but 20 people in the world would bitch that it was ‘boring’.

Pink never did it?! She would be perfect! She can sing and put on a show.

5. Cate53 says:

As a Brit, the Super Bowl doesn’t really have any special meaning for Adele apart from a big audience I would think. For American performers it is a cultural event but not for us Brits

• Kriston Troy Brannan says:

I honestly don’t think that matters in the context of a performer’s career. This had less to do with her lack of connection to the sport of American Football and more to do with a very obvious mismatch between her strengths as a performer and the requirements of a good half-time show. Several British/Irish performers and bands have been the headline act at Superbowl halftime shows. Paul McCartney, U2, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Coldplay. These bands had no real connection to the sport either, but they were a better fit for the type of show being put on.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter if you’re a fan of the sport or not, if you’re a British band/artist who gets invited to perform at the Superbowl, you’re going to get one of your largest audience ever, maybe the single largest for one show, and that’s a big deal for almost any artist. However, Adele certainly doesn’t need the exposure, and I applaud her for following her gut and passing on the offer.

• John036 says:

I mean Coldplay did it, so that logic doesn’t really hold up.

6. Ken says:

I would say Rihanna or Pink should be in line to do it next…

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

BOTH of of them, they can team up and put on a good show! I like Adele but she’s not Super bowl material. The NFL should really reach out to P!nk and Rihanna.

7. Alrisha says:

Her music and voice is beautiful, but so boring I don’t know how they even considered her.

8. TVLineCommentator says:

Jonas Brothers/Justin Bieber is what the NFL deserves

9. Cas says:

I might have watched if she did it.