Fall TV Preview
Supernatural Season 12 Hitler Nazis

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D., Lucifer, Supernatural, POI, H50, Jessica Jones and More

What the heil is happening on Supernatural? What old feud is Lucifer digging up? How is Arrow channeling Game of Thrones? “Lost” Person of Interest dialogue found? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Please, please, please, anything you can tell me about my fave show, Supernatural? —Lisa
Oh, this is a bit more than “anything.” “We’ve got something really cool coming up in Episode 5, where it will be the triumphant or not so triumphant return of the Thule, who have decided to enact their master plan and bring back Hitler,” showrunner Andrew Dabb tells us. “And the way we describe our Hitler is ‘a psychotic Richard Simmons,’ so a little different than the standard portrayal. Sam and Dean are going to fight Hitler, and that’s opening up some interesting doors for us in terms of just doing some more crazy stuff.”

I was wondering if Lucifer Season 2 might include more backstory for the characters, Maze in particular. —Lucifer Morningstar
I hand-delivered your Q, as I do, to show boss Joe Henderson, and he said, “You will have hints of the Maze backstory, but Season 2 is more about moving Maze forward and having her figure out how to assimilate on Earth if she can.” That said, “What we will dig into very much is her relationship with [the fellas’] Mom (played by Tricia Helfer), back when Mom was in Hell and Maze was the chief enforcer. A lot of fun will be had with Mom being back on Earth and Maze maybe wanting to finish what she started.”

Arrow‘s Stephen Amell mentioned filming the most brutal fight scene in network television history, and that it would be a one-shot. Any more specifics? —Shannon
“I can say it looks amazing,” showrunner Wendy Mericle reports. “We’re now part of this [TV] universe where you have Game of Thrones and the way that they deal with violence and how they do their fights, so it’s our attempt to do something similar. It’s bloody. You’re in it. We’re doing a lot more ‘first person’ – not necessarily point of view – action. Stephen has been a huge proponent of doing that, and it’s going to feel real and in your face.”

Any scoop about Felicity on Arrow? —Sara
Coming out of the events of the Season 4 finale, “She’s in a very similar place to Dig. She’s really grappling with what happened in Havenrock, consumed with that guilt,” says Wendy Mericle. “She’s broken up with Oliver. She’s lost her company. And the one thing she has in this life in the bunker. So she’s doubled down on doing that. Until she gets past what happened in Havenrock, she’s going to stay in that state of limbo.”

Do you know if Jenna Dewan is returning to Supergirl for Season 2? — Jason
As of Thursday, when I spoke to show boss Andrew Kreisberg, “There’s nothing definitive” planned at this time. “But we love Jenna, and Lucy is obviously alive in our universe.”

Will Tyrant’s Molly come back from rehab? —Pat
Justifying her character’s retreat, Jennifer Finnigan says, “She has gone to take care of herself and find the will to live again. All she wants is to breathe again after this unfathomable, enormous loss. Once she can do that, she can be a good mother to her son.” And make no mistake, “She’ll be back,” the actress confirms. “But she’ll never be the same. She’s coming back with one very clear goal. And it’s a dangerous one — revenge.”

In your interview with Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman about the Person of Interest series finale, they said that there was dialogue between Root and Shaw in the final scene on the phone — but it was removed. Did they share with you what that dialogue was? —Sunny
The boys did not tell me, no. So it’s a good thing I chatted up Sarah Shahi at Showtime’s TCA party, where she was in the company of husband/Shameless actor Steve Howey. When I asked what was said on the pay phone, she answered: “It was another number,” the next in what would apparently be a neverending stream of POIs. “It was Shaw being the solider, back in action again,” Shahi shared. “It was by no means an end. It was another beginning.” If only.

macgyver-acker

Do you have any extra details on Amy Acker’s MacGyver role? —Maddie
If you caught wind of any of the cynics who interpreted her role to be that of a damsel in distress, rest assured that is not the case. “She does get kidnapped, but she definitely does not need to be rescued,” showrunner Peter M. Lenkov makes clear. As CIA agent Sarah Adler, “She’s a female version of George Eads’ Jack Dalton, and she’s pretty badass!” (Photo: Twitter.com/AmyAcker)

Is Lynn (played by Falling Skies‘ Sarah Carter) going to be back on Hawaii Five-0? —Lisa
As it turns out, she may resurface in the same milestone 150th episode as Christine Lahti’s Doris and Michelle Borth’s Catherine. “We’re trying to get Lynn get in the episode also,” show boss Peter M. Lenkov says. “We’ll hopefully get her back.”

One can’t help but remember that Hyde played a significant role in the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider comics. Does this mean Kyle MacLachlan could potentially reappear on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as Cal Zabo? — Silje
Presented with your fun fact, co-showrunner Jed Whedon… well, he did what Marvel EPs do. “We can’t say much about what we’re going to do with [Robbie Reyes’] origin, but we are doing our own spin on it,” he said. “We don’t want people who have read the comics to know exactly what’s coming.” Told that viewers surely would like to see MacLachlan back on the show, Whedon concurred, “So would we.” (Then again, someone needs to hold down the fort in Twin Peaks.)

I would love to get any news regarding Jessica Jones Season 2, like when would they start filming? Or what kind of evil can we expect Jessica to fight? —Cecilia
With Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the eight-part The Defenders next in queue at Netflix, Jessica Jones won’t start production on its sophomore run until 2017. As such, little can be revealed about the sad soul (or souls, plural) to follow in Kilgrave’s footsteps. “It’s a work in progress,” showrunner Melissa Rosenberg told me. “The bar was set so freaking high — David Tennant has no equal — so I’m not even trying to go there. The biggest mistake I could make is to try to repeat that. So it will be a very different kind of antagonist… or antagonists.”

Any news on what’s happening with Caitlin on The Flash? —Justin
When asked if Caitlin might have an altered existence because of Flashpoint, EP Todd Helbing hedged, “Yes and no. We’ll say this: She is still Dr. Caitlin Snow.”

Have you heard anything about any other dead characters coming back because of The Flash‘s Flashpoint story? —Dee
Since it’s been revealed that Oliver Queen is among the Arrow characters affected by this tweaked timeline, one must wonder if perhaps Tommy Merlyn is alive and well. “I can’t tell you how many people I’ve talked to about the possibility and how it could possibly happen,” Colin Donnell said when we raised the topic. “It’s not out of the realm of possibility.” Hmmm.

Anything on my summertime (and renewed!) favorite, The Last Ship? —Meghan
When I asked Eric Dane about the synopsis for Episode 10 (airing Aug. 21), in which Chandler receives a “strange order” from the White House, he clarified, “It’s not an strange order. It is a potentially life-changing order.”

RELATED Get Our First Impression on Designated Survivor, Timeless, Pitch and Many More New Fall Shows

What would say are going to be the “must watch” TV shows for the fall? Any show that’ll have watercooler discussion like Lost? —Jason
Lost-caliber watercooler chatter is a high bar to set, but I can see people getting reeled in by the premiere-ending twists of Timeless or This Is Us. Something like ABC’s Designated Survivor, however, probably has longer legs in that respect, chipping away slowly at unlikely POTUS Kiefer Sutherland’s acclimation to the highest office in the land, as well as the deadly conspiracy that landed him there.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. maermae says:

Oh, Supernatural. No thanks to Hitler.

2. Couch Mom says:

Last Ship – IMO – bet they want him to come back and assume the Presidency.

3. Dee Ann korth says:

Oh boy I hope Lynn is back for the 150th episode! I hope Steve and her together and it will be the last time we seen Catherine . Enough is enough of her. I can hope!

• H50fannie says:

Well Dee Ann I got good news for you about Catherine, it seems finally the show EP decided not to bring Catherine anymore after teh 150th episode.

In other site a fan ask a reporter about Catherine returning and this ¡s whwat the reporter had to say.

How will Cath come back on Hawaii Five-0? — Karen, Sorry to break it to you, but I don’t think it’ll be good news for fans of Catherine and McGarrett when Michelle Borth returns in the 150th episode. “People are interpreting it like her coming back into the relationship and starting all over again, but I just don’t think that can happen after all that these two have gone through,” EP Peter Lenkov says. “Her relation to the story is more plot driven than reigniting that relationship.

So like you Im glad this will happen and possibly Lynn is returning and they get together, I mean they already slept together anyway.

• Dee Ann korth says:

Thank you for information ! I also hope we see Lynn a lot more in season seven maybe another Valentine episode !

4. kath says:

Looking forward to see Amy Acker on MacGyver. Cautiously optimistic about the show.

Are more fight scenes the price we have to pay for character development on Arrow? I zoned out last season when they were so dark and went on for so long.
    Thanks for the Felicity scoop though. I’d tune in for that.

5. JC1 says:

I am probably in the minority, but if this “first person” action stuff means more of that shaky-cam video game feel action scenes that they did in Brotherhood last season, well. Apologies to Stephen Amell, but I am not a fan of that at all. :(
    I’m a little confused on Wendy Mericle’s answer saying that Felicity lost the company. Emily Bett Rickards has said in interviews that Felicity still owns the company, because Ray gave it to her. She’s just no longer the CEO.

6. kelly says:

Thanks for the scoop. I’m looking forward to seeing Amy Acker on MacGyver. Someone should have thought to ask what’s the name of her character, though.

7. Lea says:

MORE-THAN-ONE-YEAR OLD SPOILERS AHEAD!

On the topic of dead characters coming back because of Flashpoint… Eddie has to come back, right? Reverse Flash was restored to the timeline (and will still be around for Legends), and if he exists again, then he must have been born, and his whole ancestry too, and that includes Eddie. If Eobard exists again, then Eddie must remain alive at least until he has a child.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, I am definitely expecting to see Eddie alive.

• Jaz says:

I’ve been hoping and praying for it myself.

I just hope that if they do decide to bring Eddie back it’s for a meatier role rather than another obstacle for Westallen. Rick Cosnett deserves better and there’s so much more Thawne history they could delve into.

8. Ninamags says:

I wonder if that means Adam and his Golem will return as well.

I really did like the first episode.

The Winchesters can take on Hitler, no problem.

9. Kevin K says:

Designated Survivor (ABC) and Timeless (NBC) are the two new shows I’m really looking forward to in the Fall. I’m wondering which new shows people should “skip”.

• Grey says:

LOL! I thought you were about to say you were wondering which would get cancelled first. If your like me, if it’s something I like it usually gets cancelled right out the gate. :-/

10. ndixit says:

I wonder what is the meaning of ‘yes and no’ when it comes to the Caitlin question. I hope they don’t do some stupid alteration in Flashpoint.

11. Wyngate says:

When you get time, I would appreciate anything on the return of season 3 of Wayward Pines.
    Season 2 was so much better than season 1, and it ended with the cliffhanger Blake Crouch originally wrote in his novel.

12. arial2 says:

Re Designated Survivor: Cylons did it, right? (for those who don’t get the comment, see Battlestar Galactica’s President Laura Roslin)

13. JCPrime1 says:

Thanks Matt!

14. Ck says:

im disappointed to hear about a need to compete with GoT violence wise with Arrow. Don’t get me wrong, I love GoT, but we watch Arrow with our 12 year old. Felicity is her favorite. It will suck to not be able to watch the show as a family anymore.

• kath says:

I think they are trying to win back those viewers who thought the show moved too far away from it’s comic book roots.

I’m way past 12 but I dislike the violence on Arrow even now, especially the torture scenes. We don’t need to see those scenes, the scars tell us the story.

• Mamad says:

They are needed …
        Green arrow is a brutal character , not like the punisher but pretty brutal …
        As much as i respect that this is a tv show but they have to respect the character …

Btw this show is not for 12 years olds , from what i know it is +14 , so it is not this show’s mistake …

• kath says:

It’s on at 8 p.m. on the CW, a time when 12 year olds are watching. It’s a show that families watch together, especially families with daughters because there are some excellent female role models on Arrow (unlike on the Flash where the women tend to be props for the men’s stories).

But apart from that, I am miles older than 12 and I don’t want or need the brutality. I see enough of that in the real world, thank you. I don’t need to see Oliver Queen being tortured on my screen. My imagination takes care of all of that.

I also don’t watch Game of Thrones or others shows because they are too violent. I know what violence and what it does to people, I don’t want to see it on TV during my recreation.

• CK says:

Thanks for the judgment on my parental choices! I’m so glad to have your opinion. Dang I better make some changes immediately unknown internet person, Mamad. You are awesome!

Right there with you kath – she just started watching it last year, we have watched every episode with her – there have been a few moments that we have fast forwarded or had her close her eyes, but not too many.

And for the show to not think it is appealing to a younger set is equally ridiculous. The berlanti verse is the one thing all of the kids at our middle school agree on. they even had a themed reward day where the kids got to dress up as their favorite characters.

15. Lee says:

Great news about Sarah Carter’s possible return to Hawaii Five-0 for the 150th episode. So many fans have been looking forward to it since the big first date and then Valentine’s episodes. I am sol glad to see McGarrett really moving on.

Looking forward to checking out the updated MacGyver. Amy Acker plays a great bad ass!

• H50fannie says:

I got more news for you. It seem Catherine after the 150th episode she wont return to the show anymore and FINALLY!!! In other site a fan asked a reporter about Catherine returning to Steve and the reporter told the fan he did not have good news

The show EP Peter L. said “People are interpreting it like her coming back into the relationship and starting all over again, but I just don’t think that can happen after all that these two have gone through,”. “Her relation to the story is more plot driven than reigniting that relationship.

16. Nicole says:

I am in for a resurrected Tommy Merlyn. My money is on Flashpoint Tommy having broken bad and become the a Dark Archer to Robert Queen’s Green Arrow. Or he somehow becomes Arsenal to Robert Queen’s Green Arrow.

Whatever the way, it’ll be nice to see him again.

17. Luli says:

So sad we’ll have to wait at least a year and a half for S2 of JJ. At least we’ll have the defenders kind of soonish….

18. promogirl2 says:

Can someone please give me an honest and sensible answer as to why one character incites so much hated? What has H50’s Catherine ever done makes her so hated? I bet none of you can…

• H50fannie says:

Maybe her personal tweets some years ago against fans who follow the show? I heard she was mean to some and fans did not like that. SOme say she was cocky and arrogant.

• Lee says:

I can only explain my personal feelings about the character. I have no opinion on the actress. Catherine has become a clone of Doris. She has lied and left Steve again. On both occasions it was expressed that he shouldn’t and wouldn’t wait for her again. Her priorities are obviously something other than their relationship. There’s been too much water under the bridge now for the relationship to work in my opinion. Now Steve is moving on and there are many of us who are glad.

I understand you have a different opinion and that is fine but please don’t act like others can’t express their opinion in “honest and sensible” way.

• H50fannie says:

Good news it seems Catherine wont return ever again after ep 150, according to Peter L. he kind of confirmed her return for the 150 ep. it be mainly plot related not relationship related in any way. Lynn it seems will appear also in the 150 ep.

• Wendy says:

I saw this too and it was the best news I’ve seen about S7!! I am sure the McRoll shipppers will be attacking soon and going after PL for not writing her back into the show. I think the combination of the character hurting Steve and the actress attacking fans in real life on Twitter just did her in. I have had one of her crazy fans go after me constantly for voicing my dislike of Cath on this site. Her go to phrase was calling me a bully for not agreeing with everything she wrote. Cath could have been the perfect match for Steve, but the writers killed that a few seasons ago. Can’t wait to see how PL wraps up the Doris story, this should be a great season.

• ally says:

I agree with you Lee. I have stated on other boards that if Steve has a problem with his mother then it would make no sense for him to be so forgiving of Catherine. Other than that I’m not quite sure what went on with the actress and some of the viewers a few years ago and I haven’t been able to really find anything written between them. I guess it’s been too long. However the writer’s made a mistake in the way they utilized and wrote the character of Catherine and now it no longer works. Also at this point it’s time to move forward as they did with WoFat. I’m looking forward to possibly seeing the actress that plays Catherine on Lenkov’s new show in a fresh new role. It will give her a new start and new character to create.

• Karen says:

Catherine worked much better as a character when she was only in a few episodes a season. When they introduced her as a regular in season three, she was instantly doing things like joining the team at potential crime scenes that felt forced and contrived and just plain stupid. Beyond that though Catherine has repeatedly lied to Steve, sided with his mother when she knew he was having problems with her, abandoned him to die in Afghanistan, abandoned him again after returning for no reason other than Lenkov thought the show wasn’t going to be renewed, and has no reason to be on the show full time.

When fans of the show spoke on their own social media timelines about their issues with the character, not tagging the actress or even using the show’s hashtag, the actress playing her starting attacking them: calling them names, harassing them, encouraging her fans to harass them, putting out lists of their names to try and get them mass blocked, threatened to release their personal information publicly, posted a photo of one of them on her Facebook page and gave out the girl’s real name and where she lived.

I used to be a fan of the actress and could separate Catherine from her and still enjoy her other projects even if I wasn’t the biggest fan of Catherine. Now I can only remember how the actress treated fans of the show who didn’t like a fictional character she was playing and who never once as far as I could tell bullied her the way she claimed they were doing.

• badgerly says:

@Karen: Catherine never belonged on the team. She was fine just as Steve’s girlfriend, a relationship he even denied in one episode. If that hadn’t happened, their romance would have been believable, possibly leading to marriage. I blame Peter Lenkov for mucking it all up, and not just the Steve/Catherine relationship.
        Your account of of how the Michelle Borth social media mess got so bad, is certainly the most benign I’ve ever read. I don’t do social media, so I don’t know the progression of events, but knowing how sh*tty people can be anonymously, I find it difficult to believe the fans were as unthreatening from the start, as you have written. Regardless, it just got out of hand.

• ally says:

I never really learned to tweet. When it started I think I was in my early to mid thirties and had no interest. I read about this incident about a year ago and finally decided to put forth some effort in looking it up. I will say the incident is sad all the way around and for all those concerned. There was not much left since it’s been so long but I did find a few things including an open letter to the offending posters and the actress. I have to agree with the poster that both parties were in the wrong. The posters originally made snarky comments about the character. Some of these particular sites did not list the show or name the actress, but it was clear as to who they are talking about. However, there very well could have been some tweets listing the character, show, and actresses name. I can see how as an actress she might have been offended and felt they were directing the post at her personally. They may have or they may not have been doing this. What I do know is that she did respond although quite frankly they did not deserve a response. The actress had and still has a fan base. The negative posters responded to her snarky comments some of them actually surprisingly being ugly not that the posters didn’t return her sentiment. Sadly it got to the point where some of these posters would be on another site even their own with other posters and mention her name or her last name which could easily be looked up. I did see where they made a snide comment about wondering what “Borth’s pearls of wisdom would say today”. She could of course easily find this and she may have been offended (I’m not saying she was right or wrong). The post was six to seven days old and she retweeted it on her twitter site, with her own ugly comment which of course caused her fans to respond directly to the poster. I don’t know if this is true, but this was not the only incident and it was with various poster’s or tweeters (I think that’s what they are called).

Basically it was a very ugly and bad situation for all concerned, because it brought unnecessary attention to something that should have just been ignored or let blow over especially considering that as I stated before she had a fan base and still to this day maintains those that were her fans. The other’s on the other hand are less forgiving. I’ve seen posts about the lead actress on The Blacklist that just plain state that she is a horrible actress and they wish they would have just left her dead. This actress and I commend her for it, because it must be hard seems to publicly ignore it and acknowledges her fans or she might just allow positive tweets to her site. In the end, unfortunately because the whole thing got out of hand and was very ugly it spilled over into the show and network. I’ve even seen some posts directly to Lenkov either chastising him (not to kindly) for writing the character out or those who were patting themselves on the back for being responsible for her dismissal (he had to respond to those as well). Bottom line after reading a little of it I found it sad for all involved and concerned. I do hope the actress finds something that is tailor made for her that she can be proud of and doesn’t have deal with being in the middle of controversy. She just be allowed to enjoy the perfecting her craft in her chosen career.

• Karen says:

But if they were talking about her and the show on their own sites/timelines/accounts/whatever and not tagging her, the only way she could see them even if they used her last name in the comment was if she was searching for it. So she spent god knows how many hours looking for comments about a character she was playing or comments that may or may not have been about her and then would respond to those with name calling and other childish behavior? No matter what those people did or didn’t do to her it gave her absolutely no right to post the photo of one of them on her Facebook page along with that person’s real name and where they lived. Maybe the fans behaved badly maybe they didn’t. But fans are allowed to dislike and even hate a character in their own online space. The actor playing the character shouldn’t be allowed to target those people and harass them.

• ally says:

I meant to send a reply sooner. I was actually trying to be unbiased or slightly diplomatic. However, from what little I could find your comment appears to be accurate. Maybe it’s just my age, but it seems a bit childish or strange for a mature, educated, and somewhat thirty something year old woman to do. I will try to be kind in saying maybe it was just a ploy on her part to draw up some attention, fandom, or recognition as I had never heard of her before 5-0. It this was in fact the case it really backfired. If not I have some serious concerns although after posting this someone else may be offended. However a true mature fan would have told her to ignore the “haters” and concentrate on her fans. This would have caused a lot less drama. PL is already being ridiculed for his statement on the upcoming 150th episode by McRoller’s. Being honest about the situation it would be best to just move on and move forward because the kind of controversy this stirred up was uncalled for on everyone including the established actors of the show and the people that had to work on set, experiencing the tension.

19. Erin says:

I loved Tommy Merlyn. Arrow has gone so crappy during the past few seasons that being him back may make it must see for me again.

20. nadialus says:

Ever since I heard there’s a huge twist in This Is Us, I’ve been much less excited. I was hoping this show was going to be Parenthood-ish, not really needing huge plot twits, just an honest, is what it is, show. If that makes any sense? While it certainly might be, the things I’ve read have brought my excitement from a 12 to a 6.

• Jamie says:

From what I’ve read, there’s a huge twist in the pilot, but it’s not going to be a super twisty show in general like HTGAWM. It sounds like it’s going to be more of a Parenthood that just has a crazy pilot ending.

21. liquidaloha says:

Great spoiler about Hawaii Five 0!! Finally we get to move on! Great timing with the EW spoiler about Cath coming back only for a plot issue and not to try to resuscitate McRoll.

I’m even more thrilled for S7!! Hope Sarah will be back for more eps than the 150th one.

22. Josh says:

Yikes, that Supernatural episodes sound uncharacteristically crass and disrespectful. It honestly skeeved me out.

23. Ian Barber says:

The Richard Simmons-like Hitler for Supernatural makes me a little nervous. It’s the far-right anti-gay groups that have tried peddling this Hitler was gay BS – I’m not sure that giving any credence to that, even as a joke, is a good thing.

24. PASS! says:

Oh, Lenkov is running the MacGyver reboot? I’m even more out that I was before. Pity, because I do love George Eads, but Lenkov’s “style” on H50 has been getting harder and harder to endure as it is.

25. Paradoxon says:

Long live the Thule-Gesellschaft!

26. Jarl Vidar says:

Adolf Hitler and the Thule Society. This relationship is as loose and vague as the relationship between Obama and Pokémon.
    Of course, the artistic freedom. The fact is that Hitler was present as a listener in the Thule Society. But just as was President Obama spectators with his baseball team.
    The Thule Society was banned like other Masonic lodges in the 1930s by Hitler himself. When you consider what origin, the word “Thule”, the meaning and the mission of the Thule Society will be better understood. Thule, Atlantis, Agarthi, Shamballah are pseudonyms an ancient lost civilization. Portions of this civilization are still intact and there is a secret communication with them. Maybe you know the book “Vril – or a man of the future” by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. In later years, Otto Rahn was intensely occupied with this subject, a member of the Thule Society and personally witnessed the events in Agarthi. If you are interested, please visit our website.
    Jarl Vidar
    Thule Society

27. Where do these stats come from?And why would ratings be measured by comparing sports awards other non primetime programs. Drama’s vs another type of the same on different station. I don’t believe ratings are accurate. Just because someone doesn’t tweet Live don’t mean there not into a program. Like Quantico I’ll tweet after but it happe ens fast you best pay attention.