Stana Katic Lifetime Movie

Stana Katic Movie Lands at Lifetime

Sister Cities, an indie film which Castle vet Stana Katic filmed in 2015, will make its television world premiere on Lifetime on Saturday, Sept. 17.

Katic’s news comes on the heels of Castle costar Nathan Fillion booking an arc on Modern Family, and Jon Huertas landing a recurring role on the buzzy new NBC drama This Is Us.

Based on the acclaimed stage play of the same name written by Colette Freedman, Sister Cities tells the story of four estranged sisters (played by Katic, The Good Wife‘s Jess Weixler, Gossip Girl‘s Michelle Trachtenberg and Pretty Little LiarsTroian Bellisario) who reunite to mourn after their mother’s passing, only to discover a secret that could tear them apart.

The cast also includes Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook), Amy Smart (Justified), Tom Everett Scott (Scream), Alfred Molina (The Normal Heart) and Kaia Gerber.

Katic also can be seen on stage in White Rabbit Red Rabbit, a play in which each performance is a different actor with a new script, on Sept. 26 at the Westside Theatre in New York City.

1. Summer says:

Kind of sold on the team-up of Katic, Trachtenberg, and Bellisario,

2. Wordsmith says:

Pretty impressive cast for a Lifetime movie. Usually, they only spring for one or two recognizable faces, three tops.

• johnhelvete says:

This is an example of Lifetime picking up an indie film and premiering it on their network, not a movie that was made by Lifetime. Grace of Monaco (Nicole Kidman) and Stockholm Pennsylvania (Saoirse Ronan) are two of the more recent examples.

3. Axel says:

Great cast, I’ll give it a try

4. Tica says:

👏👏👏👏👏👏

5. Caitlin says:

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this movie since last summer.

6. Just one thing says:

I could tell they were hoping to go the television route, though I wondered if HBO was the ultimate goal.
    Lifetime isn’t bad though, since their brand attracts eyeballs of all kinds.

7. ninergrl6 says:

In addition to Astana & Michelle, I love me some Tom Evert Scott.

8. Candace says:

Stana, Troian and Michelle? Count me in!

9. I will be watching for sure…. Featuring STANA KATIC! Don’t matter to me what venue it’s
    shown. I will follow her career anywhere ……

10. Kgw says:

Can’t wait to see this film. We need more womens films with some depth. congrats to Stana Katic and the rest of the crew.

11. Jerri says:

So is that part of the reason why she wasn’t in Castle much last season, she was too busy filming this film(and other Indy projects)?

• Just one thing says:

She wrapped on that film a few weeks into the production of Season 8, though it is reportedly the reason why she wasn’t in much of the season premiere.
      The other films were either shot early last summer or the summer of 2014.

• Susan Smith says:

Yea its already been made clear the show runners were purposely writing her and her character out of the show.And it got cancelled…

• shir says:

No. Unfortuntly information is wrong.

12. Kate says:

I’m looking forward to watching this! Thanks for the info.

13. John DeYoung says:

I miss Beckett

14. DarkDefender says:

I’ll eventually watch this, but the story is overdone. I’m actually more curious to see how Fillion does on Modern Family.

• Caskett22 says:

I am curious to see who is go going to be forced to leave Modern Family now when Nathan has arrived.

• Jess says:

I wish rude, obnoxious fans could be forced to leave comment sections.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

Jess, to Stana fans you are obnoxious and rude. The story is about Stana. If you don’t like her, don’t click on the story. I personally detest Nathan, therefore I DO NOT read any stories featuring him. As far as TV Line using Castle as “clickbait” once again, do not ‘Click’ on the story. Problem solved! Just because your curiosity gets the better of you and you read stories you don’t like doesn’t mean that this site is biased or give preferential treatment to certain stars or shows. This site is geared toward providing entertainment stories about shows and stars that their readers want to know about. The reason that the other stars didn’t get their stories is because that would be redundant. Stana got top billing in this story because TV Line was a destination site for all things Castle. Honestly, if it didn’t spotlight Stana, I wouldn’t have even clicked on the headline. Seriously Jess, if you don’t like the content, move on and don’t come back.
          Stop attacking the site and the fans just because you don’t like Stana or you have a preference for Nathan. Stop being a troll while standing on your bridge yelling about “clickbait.” Seriously, go away!

• A says:

I can tell you now…..joke joke joke!! Weatherman!! There you won’t have to watch now. We all know you have nothing nice to say about Stana, we’ve read it all before

15. c-mo says:

While I’m happy that someone picked up this film, her indie projects aren’t really my cup of tea so I think I’ll pass.

16. Jennifer says:

I can’t wait to see this movie. I’ll watch anything with Stana Katic in it. I’m a huge fan of hers and will continue to follow her career.

17. Jess says:

TV Line continues to get clickbait out of Castle. Kind of unfair to Stana’s costars in this Lifetime movie. Why didn’t they get their own TV Line heading and article? Stana doesn’t even get top billing in this movie; credits shared between actresses playing the sisters and they are all well known from TV. Matt doesn’t have to make his partiality to Stana so clear. Some fair play would be nice.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Very funny.

• Just one thing says:

You’ve kind of answered your own question at the top of your statement. Several TV sites learned within the last couple years that simply putting “Castle” in the headline guarantees many, many clicks. Apparently putting “Stana Katic” in a TVLine headline garners similar results.
      So, given how well TVLine knows their audience, why would they bother mentioning anyone else’s name but the one that successfully “baits” viewers?

• Jess says:

That depends on whether you’re in the business of good, accurate, fair and balanced journalism (it is entertainment reporting but still one can always aspire to higher standards lol.) or in the business of getting clicks from clickbait, non information, cheap digs, general sh*it stirring and fanning flames. I realize all sites live on clicks these days to survive, and where there are sheep, they will always fall for the bait, but I hope Castle crazies realize that Matt & co. are probably chewing popcorn as they watch yet another round of crazy comments and fan wars give them clicks aplenty over nothing, non information clickbait. Blindly being bait isn’t something to be smug amount, in my opinion. Would be nice to see more moderation in the comments here to try to raise the level of discourse to something more adult, more respectful, less insane, and less defamatory, but it’s probably not going to happen as more moderation would mean less clicks. So it’s going to continue to be a crazy free for all, bringing out all the nasty in the fandom.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hey, Jess – how is reporting on Stana Katic’s first TV appearance following the end of her eight-year run on a popular show “baiting” anyone? Because from a journalistic POV, the news here isn’t that this movie exists or who all is in it (since their castings were announced a long while ago), but that it marks Katic’s next TV appearance.

(Oh, and trust me, the worst of comments do get moderated. You just never see them!)

• Jess says:

I just observe that TV Line parcels out every crumb of info or non info re Castle actors for maximum effect. It’s the general practice of the site, i would say. Is it to get more clicks? Only you know. This particular article does have news but I think it’s legit to wonder why the other actresses don’t feature in the headline. It’s also their next TV appearance. Past TV Line articles on Castle have been baity in my opinion and I don’t believe I’m alone in thinking that. Just looking at the past 2 TV Line headlines with the Castle tag and they qualify as clickbaity headlines to me, because the headline promised more than what the content delivered. Others may disagree. I understand that’s your prerogative and the way many internet sites operate but that doesn’t mean I can’t call out clickbait as I see it. Also, as a long time reader here, it’s clear that TV Line staff have favorites. You crush on Stana and Techgirl from Castle. That’s OK. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of your reporting. If there is moderation going on here, then i appreciate it, but I think it’s fair to say that there’s a long way to go if the worst are already moderated given the generally nasty tone of Castle comment sections. I understand that the angry crazies will give you clicks and moderation’s a thankless task, but it’s a real turn off to those who don’t care for toxic discourse. Lots of wild accusations were made against actors very rudely in those comment sections from what I recall, without proof, but they were allowed to stand week in week out, same old same old from the same people in an ever toxic downward spiral. Where do you draw the line or anything goes? It’s one thing to be passionate; it’s another altogether to be rude, disrespectful and defamatory. I appreciate your response and hope you understand I’m just giving my feedback as a reader of the site.

• Tyler says:

Hey Matt, I hope you continue reporting news about Stana Katic. As a fan I like to keep up with her future projects. I appreciate it. Thanks.

• j says:

Shut up!!! If you don’t like it don’t read it. They reported on Nathan as well, I’m sure you were all over that with your comments, praising the weatherman!!!

• Caitlin says:

Conspiracy theories and paranoia run rampant among some Castle fans.

18. Dj says:

So Nathan is on an arc on Modern Family and cameoing in a marvel movie. Stana is on lifetime and a play. So whats Molly doing or Jon.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Jon Huertas’ NBC gig is mentioned in the story, I believe…? TVLine will of course keep “Castle” fans apprised of any other meaningful projects booked by former cast.

19. Gorgia Madman says:

Trolls aren’t near as funny as they think they are. Back in the basement troll!

20. georgee says:

Matt Webb Mitovich thank you for keeping us all up to date on the Castle cast. All 10 million of us enjoyed a great 7 seasons, season 8 was just poorly done. Your comments made us happy and hopeful and sometimes sad, like the ones on 11/21/2015 that gave us hope that season was finally turning around, just to have that hope dashed away on 11/24/2015. Maybe if we would have had better show runners for season 8, if you think that is toxis discourse than that is what it is. The fact is the toxis downward spiral started with episode 2 season 8. The new president of ABC told that us the show had two tracks it could of taking at the beginning of the season, millions of us feel the wrong one was taken causing a major train wreck, and no more show. To bad ABC did not want both leads back, we could of had a great season 9. As one of the most supported actress in Hollywood said ( What difference at this point does it make). Again thank you for the updated info on the Castle Cast.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

georgee, to be fair, the network cancelled Castle after ABC Studios and the producers of Castle chose not to renew her contract. Axing her was a poor decision (one of MANY) made by ABC Studios and the producers of Castle, not ABC the network.

21. Syl says:

Thank you for this update about Stana Katic’s career. Really appreciated.

22. Kevin Myers says:

I will watch Stana Katic in anything she does. She is a believable and hot actress. That combo has got my attention every time.