Pretty Little Liars Recap

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Oh, Brother(s)

Pretty Little Liars fans have sat in on a number of awkward family reunions over the years, but Tuesday’s DiLaurentis / Drake dinner might have been the most uncomfortable yet. (Silver lining: At least no one died this time!)

Within two minutes of his return to Rosewood, Jesus Jason set the wheels in motion to oust Mary Drake from Alison’s life. He even invited Aria as his +1 to dinner, forcing them to briefly confront their romantic past. (Remember when #Jaria was sort of/almost a thing?)

Jason’s plan pretty much fell apart when Mary served the main course — which turned out to be a sob story about how Jessica kept her in the dark about Charles’ “death” — but the evening wasn’t a total waste. Her story led the Liars to Jessica’s secret lair, where they discovered that Charlotte had a biological sibling!

But who is this mysterious sibling? Is it A.D., or is it someone A.D. is looking for? It’s anyone’s guess why the über villain was seen with Aria and Noel’s files at the end of the episode, and at this point, I wouldn’t put any paternity twist past this show.

Elsewhere this week…

* Because it’s really hard to plan a wedding around Aria’s busy schedule of committing and/or solving murders, Ezra suggested a destination elopement. And they were thisclose to hitting the road when they were interrupted by a knock at the door; it seems a certain “presumed dead” girlfriend might be considerably less dead than was presumed. (I’m not going to say “I told you so,” but… you know.)

* It couldn’t have been easy for Spencer to suggest that Toby and Yvonne leave town, but I guaran-damn-tee you it was even harder to hear that Toby originally started building that house for her. And when he announced that he and Yvonne are moving to Maine to start a family, I swear I actually heard Spencer’s heart break in half. (It might have been mine, but I’m pretty sure it was hers.)

* Speaking of Toby, he also revealed that Jenna tried to seduce him (again!) during an already-tense family vacation. And the only thing more awkward than his “What are you doing?” response was his recount of the incident to Spencer.

* Hanna finally came clean to Caleb about her split from Jordan. And while they didn’t immediately rip off each other’s clothes — much to the dismay of many viewers, I’m sure — it’s clear that the spark between them is far from extinguished.

* Lastly, I just love Emily’s mom. She’s the best.

Any theories about Charlotte’s secret sibling? Was A.D.’s “I see you” message really from Jenna? And how does Nicole factor into all of this? Drop a comment with all of your thoughts below.

1. E says:

Jenna is so sleazy. My heart broke for Specer tonight. I’m interested to see what Noel’s role in all this is. I agree with you that we all saw it coming about Nicole possibly being alive and messing up Ezria. Hanna’s comment about another of Ali’s cousins trying to kill them was hilarious! The preview has me worried for Caleb but I’m holding out hope for their happy ending. L

2. MissEllys says:

I can’t imagine they will break up Toby and Yvonne at this point. Also, I’m fascinated to find out who Charlotte’s sibling is

3. KRIS says:

I really think that Aria is the twin. I think if she isn’t AD that she knows exactly who it is. She is just too shady. BTW where is Mona?

My heart broke for Spencer too. I really think if she had said SOMETHING Toby would have turned around.

So happy to see Caleb and Hanna together again. .sorta. I swear if he dies next week, I’m done. I won’t watch without Caleb.

4. nadialus says:

This episode was so refreshing, it felt like old pll. Poor Spencer, toby didn’t have to tell her that he started building the house for her. It was mean and uncalled for. I personally think the sibling is going to be Spencer but who knows with this show. I do hope it’s not Noel though, that would kind of be a let down of a twist. And if it is Aria, than Jason would have made out/had feelings for two of his siblings.

• Plllover says:

I think it’s going to be Sidney Driscoll, from season 5. She’s listed in the summer finale. And it’s got to be something significant, because she was such a minor character when she was on there.

5. Tiff says:

Spencer is the sibling

6. C says:

How is this a ‘paternity’ twist? More like a maternity twist. Although I guess we still don’t know who fathered Mary’s babies.

• Carla says:

I’m surprised none of the characters have wondered who might be the father(s) of Mary’s children. Since she was in Radley, it would have been either a staff member or a patient. Didn’t Byron Montgomery’s brother spend some time in a psychiatric facility?

7. Marco says:

Why do I have the horrible feeling that they ‘ll reveal that ChArlotte wasn’t trans and that this sibling will actually be Charles and A. D..?

• Andrew says:

I think the age thing would pretty much rule that out thank god. (Making the trans character the villain was super yikes but I feel like walking it back at this point would only make it worse). Charlotte is very clearly the age that she says she is which means she’s definitely the baby designated “Charles” at birth. The sibling is roughly the same age as the Liars, which means its likely going to be a different character that we’ve seen before and they’ll be A.D.

8. Rook says:

Did Noel Kahn write “I see you” on the back of a car in season 1. Ezra and Aria were inside and then Hanna saw him then got run over by the car. Could this be a clue?

9. reallyconfused says:

Aria DiLaurentis = AD?

10. sorchamaebh says:

They want us to believe that Noel did it because of the “I see you” message on Spencer’s car which he also wrote on Ezra’s car in season 1, and because the end scene where A burns the “Noel” file. But I think it’s too obvious and I think it’s Jason. I think it’s him because:
    1.He obviously still has feelings for Aria so that’s why he could’ve taken her file
    2.The tenseness towards Mary could just be an act their both in on (I know, far-fetched)
    I know all of this is very far-fetched but Pretty Little Liars always is and whenever the show is pointing at one person, it’s definitely not them

11. Sara says:

I’m sorry but I’m going to be a ‘Jaria’ fan till the end. Their chemistry was off the charts way back when. To me, Ezra will always be the pedophile.

• sterling says:

So people are talking about the kinda thing way back in the early seasons but to me their conversation makes me think that in the time gap they had a real thing.

• Stacey says:

I thought the same! Not sure if they did or not. I still want to know why and how Mona and Caleb hooked up. They never revisted that.

12. "A" says:

Mary’s other child and Charlotte’s sibling ( A.D ? ) is either Spencer, Hanna, Aria, Jenna, Sara, Nicole, Sabrina, Samara Cook, Sydney Driscoll, Addison Derringer, Aria & Noel are twins, or Charlotte aka CeCe was never transgender and her twin brother Charles is really alive.

Who do you think is the other sibling ?

13. Rae says:

Why is “A” now called “AD”? I missed it, somehow, during this batch of new episodes.

• Lauren Dootson says:

Because that’s how they signed things at the beginning. It used to be -A now it’s -A.D. That’s why they thought it was Elliot, once they found out his name was Archer Dunhill.

14. Nicole says:

what about Wren? What about Holden? Is Paige ever coming back?!

• Stacey says:

Yes, Paige is coming back in the next episode. I think it’s for a swim coaching job, that Emily is interested in too.

15. lina says:

I think aria being invited to ally mary and Jason’s family dinner is foreshadowing that aria is Charlotte’s sibling. Mary has dark hair like aria too. Eddie lamb recognized aria at Radley. Her dad has to be her “uncle scott” who was institutionalized. Must have been knocking the boots with Mary at Radley. Just like jessica tool in charles and raised him as hers instead of as an aunt arias aunt and uncle took her in and raised her as their own.

16. lauri5567 says:

I was watching gymnastics, and will watch this tonight.
    Jason looks very Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall in that photo. If he and Aria hooked up, please let us see a flashback.
    We don’t know that much about Jenna’s parents so she’s my favorite to be suspicious about. I think Mona isn’t related to the DiLaurentis by looking at her, but who knows. I still think Noel is involved to help the liars/Allison in some twisted way.

17. Shru says:

I haven’t watched this show in a while I just hear tidbits about it… But i will be very upset if Toby and Spencer don’t end up together. I mean I don’t care much for ‘ships’ on this show but for some reason i care about these two a lot. These two have that spark and chemistry and grounding that lacks so much with the other couples. Maybe because of the constant and annoying on again and off again that goes on with Hanna and Caleb and Aria and Ezra( they’ve broken up and gotten back together what 20 times during the whole show?)

If any couple should be endgame it really should be Spencer and Toby. Honestly

18. naomi says:

it was not jenna. it was noel because he was the one that wrote i see you at monas bday.

19. Kathy says:

Is Jason going to even be in 7B?
    I heard he wasn’t.
    I thought he was going to end up being A.D. there are so many unanswered questions about him.
    I would of been disappointed if he was A.D. I really liked the way Drew Van Acker portraited him. I also loved Jaria.
    To me Ezra is still creepy.