Olympics: Leslie Jones Accepts NBC's Rio Invite, After Her Tweets Go Viral

You know what Leslie Jones loves even more than flirting with Colin Jost at the Weekend Update desk? Team USA!

The Saturday Night Live cast member has been offered — and on Monday accepted — an opportunity to attend the Summer Olympics after publishing a series of videos to Twitter documenting her thunderous enthusiasm for the Rio games while draped in the American flag. (A few of her most retweeted posts are embedded below.)

According to NBC, starting this Friday, “Jones will attend live Olympic events, including swimming, track and field, gymnastics and beach volleyball; meet athletes; and spread her passion for sports and the Olympics on-air and online during NBC Olympics’ coverage of Rio 2016.”

RELATED Ratings: Rio Olympics Stay Down, Off 32 Percent From London Night 1

Per the suggestion of Late Night With Seth Meyers EP Mike Shoemaker, NBC Olympics executive producer Jim Bell reached out to Jones and extended an invitation for her to join the Peacock’s team in Brazil. Two days later, Jones announced she was “RIO BOUND BABY.”

“We’re thrilled to have Leslie come to the Olympics,” said Bell in a statement. “She’s a member of the family, and her passion for the Olympics is remarkable.”

Jones first made headlines for her Twitter feed in July when she was targeted by some anonymous — and not-so-anonymous — trolls for her part in the new Ghostbusters movie, which nearly prompted her exit from the social media website altogether.

Are you excited for the chance to see Jones bring her Olympics commentary to NBC airwaves? Is it even possible to be more excited than Jones!?

1. Simon Jester says:

Glad she’s getting some joy from Twitter this time around.

2. Rebecca says:

She’s been a joy to follow for the olympics, her videos make me laugh.

3. c-mo says:

I love this story, an example of social media being used for good instead of evil!

4. ninergrl6 says:

I think she’s hilarious. I hope she makes it to Rio. It would be fun to see her on some of the NBC coverage, maybe late night with Ryan Seacrest.

5. S says:

The enthusiasm she has for life is beyond precious

• maggie says:

^This^ Leslie does love life, and her love is infectious. I’m so glad that she’s back on twitter and that they banned some of the losers that tried to destroy her joyful nature.

6. Nancy Shea says:

I am so happy for her! Her Tweets have been a joy.

7. Spence says:

As if I didn’t already love these Olympics enough. I don’t need a schedule of which sport is when, I need an itinerary of when Leslie is commentating what!!

8. Katy says:

Since I don’t really watch SNL, getting to know Leslie Jones since the release of Ghostbusters has been an unexpected pleasure. She seems like a real gem, and I’m glad she’s getting more and more credit. New fan here!

9. ninamags says:

I haven’t watched SNL in years so I know her from her insurance commercial.

If she can come across as completely awesome in an insurance commercial, then the lady is truly magic.

10. LT says:

My love for this woman knows no bounds! Have fun in RIO!

11. Vanessa says:

Seriously? So now NBC is going to make their Olympic coverage a commercial for SNL? Not only have their ‘morning show’ hosts been pathetic, and now Lorne Michaels wants to destroy what’s left of the horrible coverage by putting his ‘signature’ on it! He’s destroyed the Tonight Show, and everything he touches looks and smells like SNL. Nothing original, nothing fresh, nothing worth watching.

Too bad. The tape delayed, edited, manipulated Olympics of 2016 just got worse. I guess this is just another push for more ‘diversity’ on NBC. Talentless and boring —— oh, maybe she will be a good fit.

12. H says:

What is she saying to Bob Costas? I mean the last word. I keep listening to it but it can’t be right……