Olympics Ratings Opening Ceremony Rio

Ratings: Olympics Opening Ceremony Down 35 Percent From London 2012

NBC’s coverage of the opening ceremony for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro on Friday scored a 16.5 rating in metered-market households, down 28 percent from London 2012 and marking the lowest overnight number since Barcelona 1992 (which also mustered a 16.5).

Final numbers have Friday’s ceremony drawing 26.5 million total viewers, down 35 percent from London’s opening ceremony (which set a record with 40.7 million people tuning in). Previous summer games’ opening galas delivered 34.9 million (Beijing 2008), 25.4 mil (Athens 2004) 27.3 mil (Sydney 2000), 39.7 mil (Atlanta 1996) and 21.6 mil (Barcelona 1992).

NBC’s broadcast of the Rio kick-off was hampered by a modest time delay, 30 minutes of pre-show (bloating the proceedings to more than four-and-a-half hours) and a stupendous amount of commercial breaks (eight within the first 65 minutes, by one count). On the flip-side, you had Gisele Bündchen in that liquid metal dress.

1. John NYC says:

SO pass.

2. AtlLady says:

The opening ceremony seemed a bit disjointed. Why was there no scroll of translations of the speeches for the American audience? When the dancers were pounding on what looked like humongous Mylar balloons, the floor around them kept sagging if the foursome would get the slightest bit off-center. I did like the torch being reflected in the mobile. That was a great visual.

3. Lysh says:

I know networks need advertising to live but cutting into it with so many commercials was enough to make anyone lose interest. I saw a gif of the cauldron like an hour before NBC aired it. Is it possible to just hold off for a couple hours? The ceremony was great though. Rio put together a nice show.

• Sara says:

Couldn’t they have advertising before and after the live event like everywhere else? I don’t get American TV execs lol….time delay? Seriously

4. Elizabeth says:

I may have enjoyed it better if it were actually live. I gave up on it when I saw online that the torch had already been lit while NBC was still in the middle of the parade of nations.

5. Ally Oop says:

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies. I watched on CBC in Canada though.

6. wrstlgirl says:

It was really boring and the lighting was blah.

7. Carla Krae says:

A lot of people probably chose to stream it live after hearing that NBC would do a time delay so they could add “relevant commentary”.

• Kris says:

It sure sounded like the commentators were speaking off the cuff, so I don’t think the time delay did them any good. Some of the ‘relevant commentary’ was really cringe-worthy.

8. ninamags says:

That cauldron looks like the one Bowzer uses when he’s attacking Mario in one of the many Super Mario Bros games.

9. Phun says:

It put me to sleep and the numerous commercial breaks didn’t help.