Jeffrey Dean Morgan 'Frustrated' by Jason and Alicia's Good Wife Goodbye, Was Asked to Return for Reshoots

If you’re still a little salty about The Good Wife‘s downer ending — particularly Alicia’s unresolved relationship with Jason — you’re not alone.

“I didn’t like it,” Jeffrey Dean Morgan (aka Jason) tells Entertainment Weekly of the couple’s ambiguous conclusion. “We raised so many questions about Jason and this relationship that he had with Alicia that I felt like nothing was ever answered, you know? So I walked away frustrated for my character and Alicia’s character in not having any kind of closure with that.”

Morgan says he was asked to return to New York for reshoots two weeks after wrapping the finale, but couldn’t make the trip due to his Walking Dead commitments. (You know, batting practice and whatnot.) Still, he doesn’t think those reshoots “would have changed the story dramatically or anything.”

He also insists that “we don’t know” whether or not Jason really took off in the end — and that ambiguity isn’t sitting will with him.

“To just have it end so abruptly like that with no answers, it was hard for me reading it,” he admits. “I remember reading it, I put it down, I ran into work, and I saw Julianna [Margulies] and I was like, ‘What the f–k is this?’ And she’s like, ‘I had to read it like, 10 times. I think I get it. I think I understand what we’re trying to do here,” and I’m like, ‘Let me know because I don’t know.'”

Good Wife fans, did Jason and Alicia’s “conclusion” baffle you as much as it did Morgan? We know it’s been three months, but these wounds take time to heal, so drop whatever’s on your mind in a comment below.

1. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I’ve grown to appreciate when writers let the viewers come to their own conclusions. It makes for interesting discussion.

2. leo says:

So, to me it feels like the writers have more power than Julianna. It does make sense how she got the slapped at the end. Maybe that’s what the writers wanted to do all along.. lol..

3. Kelly says:

I’m with JDM. I found that ending frustrating. I didn’t need everything wrapped up with a tidy bow, but I wanted some sort of answers and instead got none. I know the showrunners considered this a creative ending but it felt more like lazy writing and I was left completely unsatisfied.

4. Nancy Lawson says:

I’m sure I”m in the minority but I didn’t like Jason. I kept hoping he’d take off before the finale.

5. David says:

Just one of a number of answers not provided as put forth I believe in a previous TV Line post. Lots of unanswered questions. Wonder if they will even make any effort to answer any of them in the sequel they are doing with Diane and Luca. They could if they chose to, but will they?

6. Steven says:

Ambiguous finales can be really good. Like Angel, but here it was just so abrupt that it felt like there should have been more. I agree with JDM. This just wasn’t a good finale. Or a good finale season to tell the truth.

7. Eurydice says:

A note to future writers – when the star of the show, who’s been inhabiting a character for 7 years, has to read a script 10 times and still isn’t quite sure what you’re trying to say, then that’s a problem.

8. geegee says:

Shut up, John Winchester!

(but yeah, on the topic at hand, he’s totally right, that ambiguity didn’t feel purposeful, it just seemed forced, as in “lets all pretend we are now writing an ending for student-level ‘life has no real ending’ ending”)

9. CJ says:

The end of this series left me unimpressed and I respect the writers and understand why they did what they did but I just didn’t enjoy how ends were tied up from an entertainment perspective. I think I would have preferred to not watch the finale and let that be end of my Good Wife experience. As a viewer its satisfying to know that the actors are sometimes right there with us in the wtf moment even months after a role ends. I still loved Good Wife, I just didn’t LOVE the end.

10. KLS says:

Fans are always lokng for advance notice of a series ending and closure for the characters. TGW had that, yet didn’t seem to have enough time to end it properly. Would have it been better to have a sudden ending?

11. Larc says:

I would have been happy if he had left much earlier than he did. Jeffrey Dean Morgan always seems to play the same character, just with different names and in different situations. I’ve never been able to really warm up to any of them.

12. Jamie says:

I guess I’m one of the few who liked the ending. I get that JDM liked his character and their relationship, but I doubt he’s watched the show from the beginning. Alicia was a complex character from the beginning, and the writers stayed true to that. She may have enjoyed her flings, including Jason, but she couldn’t dismiss her obligations, and her past life. I don’t think Jason ever got that.

13. Ashton says:

It’s nice to know we had the same reaction to the ending.

14. I watched the show from the beginning! And to have that end like that sucked!!!! I was waiting for Jason to come out of same door or magical corner for Alicia!!! But it didn’t happen!!! Boo to the writers you missed it !!!! That was not a Dress rehearsal!!!!the End!!!!Boo!

15. Jean says:

I liked the part Morgan played as the detective. He played it well, and you could see why everyone wanted to hire him. I could see Alicia having a fling with him. Why not? But I just couldn’t see her running of into the sunset with him. They were too different in life except being in lust with each other at the time. She never would have given up and run off with him as much as that would have made both of them sad not to have fun with each other.

16. Bella says:

I was very disappointed in the finale. I think the show runners were too invested in their “artistic vision” and having a beginning slap to the series and an ending slap to the series, and the viewers were slapped just as hard as Alicia. Alicia was somebody I admired in the beginning, but didn’t like much at all at the end, which was a large part of my disappointment.

17. Christian says:

Dear Mr. Morgan … the show was not about you, and it wasn’t about Jason and Alicia. You were a plot purpose, not a character that was carrying a show that existed for six seasons before you were written in to show that Alicia – as clearly stated in the finale – could not be happy with anyone, wanted Will because she could never truly have him, and she wanted to have a second chance at an opportunity that passed her by (leaving her husband for another man while at the podium playing her role as The Good Wife). Jason Crouse ended up as – as portrayed in the final scene – a mirage, an illusion, a figment of romantic imagination. The truth hurts. Get over yourself.

18. Tracy288 says:

They should have been allowed to get together. Not with her just walking down the hallway by herself after being belted by Diane.

19. Shawnett says:

I feel like I wasted 6 years of my life watching this show.. I was past angry at how it ended. It left so many questions unanswered!!!I agree with Jason… who what why and how?!?!?!

• TV Gord says:

If you feel that way, I think you missed the point of the show. There have been so many brilliant episodes, if you were just focused on Alicia’s romantic outcome, you need to re-watch it and see the great writing and acting that was presented.

20. James says:

Why does everyone need to be spoon fed an ending and are unable to choose for themselves what happened. Alicia does not need a man to be happy!

21. MARTA CARD says:

Please bring back the Good Wife!!!!

22. roni Todd says:

Worst ending in th history of television! It Totally sucked and left the viewers angry disappointed
    Sad and confused. The show was so amazingly written and executed by the actors and then to leave poor Alicia standing in the hallway like that????????
    I hesitate to watch any other series written by those writer because the let down is soooooo
    Not Worth it!!! Shame On You for that horrible ending of such a terrific & popular show!

• Christian says:

Funny … I consider myself one of The Good Wife’s most loyal fans from day one and I thought the ending was brilliant.

23. Totally agree with Jeffrey Dean Morgan but love watching him in anything!

24. Vi says:

I didn’t like the series final either and I watched every episode. It seems the series finale of quite a lot of shows aren’t great, or popular with the audience. Because of that I’ll wait until a show is over before I decide if I want to purchase the DVDs.

25. joedoglap says:

The King’s understand writing. There’s a word writers are familiar with. It is Denouement. It means, a falling act. Most people mistakenly think that after the Climax comes the Epilouge, and then the ending credits; but not true. First comes the climax, then the denouement, then epilouge and the credits. That slap in the face and Alicia losing her friendship with Diane and Jason moving on, was what we the regular viewers, needed to see happen. For the entire run of “The Good Wife,” Alicia was a character I hated because of the kind of person she became. She seldom faced consequences for her actions and for the people she hurt. If this had just been another episode where everything comes together in the end and she gets away with another one and yet everyone rides off into the sunset, I would have felt ripped-off. This thing had a falling act to it. Part of me wants to say it was brilliant of the King’s and yet really, they’re great writers, and they knew this was necessary; and on a very conscious level, I as a viewer was expecting a series of bad outcomes for Alicia.

• Christian says:

Beautifully put. This show is forever misinterpreted by the hausfraus who think of it as a romantic feminist serial. Alicia was in no way a role model or a “feminist”. The KIngs gave us a fascinating character study of a very complex individual, regardless of gender. There was a brief scene during season five where a feminist client whom everyone was courting asked Alicia what she wanted, and she said something to the effect that she just wanted to be happy, which didn’t please the client at all and she ended up going with Elspeth instead of Alicia. She wanted to hear Alicia expound the virtues of forging an all-woman crusade in a man’s world, but Alicia just wasn’t that type of person. She was the least political person in the show, which was why her bid for public office was doomed to failure. Ultimately, Alicia was for Alicia with no set boundaries or agenda – she just did what she wanted to do and experience life in the moment. Jason was actually more like her than she realized, which is why they never would have ended up in a fairytale ending. I think that kind of “closure” for the show would have been a betrayal to the what the show was actually all about, which Mr Dean obviously is oblivious to.

• Sandy says:

This ending was not the classic denouement that wraps up loose ends and leaves the reader/viewer wishing the story weren’t over, yet knowing it is. This finale is considered open-ended because it’s not resolved and there potential for a sequel.

• joedoglap says:

Sandy, a denouement doesn’t wrap up loose ends. That happens in the epilouge. Again, a denouement is a falling act. It can be good, or it could be bad. Every book has one, as does every movie and television show, be it a sitcom, mystery format or drama show, serialized or stand-alone. Most of us don’t recognize it when we see it, but it’s always there. The problem is that we have a generation of people who think in terms of sequels or spin-offs. At the time of the finale, nobody promised you either, and even if they did, that still has nothing to do with the main storyline of seven seasons and how best to bring it to a close. I’ll be honest with you. I don’t give a tinkers damn about Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s feelings about the ending, or the majority of everyone else leaving comments here. All these comments demonstrate is that people don’t know how to step back from all this and look objectively at the main character at the center of this series and for whom the series was named. So far, from what I’ve read here, most of you don’t know how to put the whole seven years into perspective. For seven seasons, you’ve been watching a program where by the end of each hour, everything always seems to come together for Alicia. You may think she’s a good mother, but in the way she deals with her kids, she’s a hypocrite. She says one thing to them and yet lives her life by opposite standards. She has poached (and lets be clear here – “stolen”) clients from a firm that gave her a huge break. She’s walked all over every friend she had to get where she is. And in the end, what does she do to Diane, the one woman who always maintained her respect for Alicia? She forces a situation in a courtroom (that she was asked not to do by Diane) that put Diane’s husband in a bad situation that brought the sudden end to their marriage. Again, she didn’t care who she hurt to get what she wanted. All I’m reading in these comments are people working up sympathy for Alicia, thinking, “gee, I hope she and Jeffrey Dean Morgan finally ride off into the sunset;” or “wow, I hope she finally licks her drinking problem;” or “man, I think now that she’s divorcing Peter, I think she’ll become a changed woman.” Hey folks, how about this? How about the fact that she brought her drinking problem on herself. How about that maybe she deserved to lose Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and be slapped by Diane? What exactly were you looking to find, another typical “Good Wife” ending where Alicia walks away scot-free again? Or … don’t you think that the King’s were tapping-in to what a majority of viewers were thinking, that in real life, ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

• Sandy says:

For whatever reason, I haven’t been able to comment despite trying. I hope my previous attempts don’t suddenly all show up! Anyway, I tried to post a diagram, so you’d see my understanding of denouement, but I couldn’t get it to copy. So I’ll just use this instead. “The denouement is the final outcome of the story, generally occurring after the climax of the plot. Often it’s where all the secrets (if there are any) are revealed and loose ends are tied up. For example, the denouement of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet comes just after the Romeo and Juliet take their own lives. When the families find their dead bodies, Escalus explains that their deaths are a result of the family feud, leaving members of both sides to feel guilty. That is the denouement” [OUTSIDE LINK DELETED BY SYSTEM]. In Hamlet, the denouement comes immediately after the deaths when Fortinbras appears and takes charge. I agree there is way too much emphasis on sequels, but that really is how TGW ended, “open” to further development. (I hope not though.) I really enjoyed the show, especially its quirkiness and the fun background music. Because the Kings are such good writers, I was disappointed in the ending. I wanted it to be over, resolved, SOMEhow, and I felt Kings could’ve done better. Thank you for your thoughtful interpretation.

• joedoglap says:

I appreciate and thank you for posting that example of a denouement definition. I also wanted to go back on something I said in my comment from yesterday about how loose ends are generally tied up in the epilouge. Actually that’s not always true. In the case of TGW, Alicia’s fantasized reappearance of Will Gardner provided an important tying up of loose ends. That whole fantasy was about her conscience bothering her over the person she knew she became. One of the great exchanges in that fantasy was when Alicia said to Will, “this place has changed so much since you’ve been gone.” Will’s rebut to that was beautiful, “no it hasn’t. This place is the same as its always been.” The subtext being that it was Alicia that had changed. Now, you say you were “disappointed” in the ending. Well, okay. Let’s try to imagine the ending that you and others were hoping to see played out. Supposing that Alicia had stood by Peter till the bitter end of that press conference rather than walking away in the way that she did, smiling and playing the dutiful good wife. Supposing that when she finally did walk out, that Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s character were standing there in the corridor with his hand out to Alicia and the two of them smile gapingly at each other and ride out into the sunset with Diane off in the background for a final shot, standing there looking at the two of them in disgust, wishing that she could have slapped Alicia, but didn’t. A scene like that might have given you everything you wanted to make you feel good at the end of the series, but trust me on this, somebody would have written a similar article about being disappointed with the ending of TGW. In fact, I will guarantee that you yourself (and I know I don’t know you) would have felt satisfied that night, but then you would have woke up the next day and thought to yourself, “wait a minute, this woman has a drinking problem and yet she’s riding off into yet another relationship that she’s gonna end up sabotaging. And all this after she ends her friend Diane’s marriage with no consequences.” Believe me Sandy, you would have been left with a very empty feeling in time to come. You would have been imagining a scenario where there would have been consequences for her actions. Thankfully, Robert and Michelle King thought of it for you.

• Sandy Sedivy says:

I totally agree about the scene with Will helping to tie up loose ends. To me, that was a strong point and showed that Alicia wasn’t ever going to be able to entirely replace Will, regardless of who came into her life. Perhaps, too, it cemented her resolve to leave Peter. I’d like to think so. My biggest problem with the ending was its lack of hopefulness, if that makes any sense, not that she didn’t leave with Jason. All it would’ve taken for me was for Alicia to see Jason sitting outside in his truck (why was that in the preview shots?). Then the viewer could assume all sorts of things, but at least that they talked. Perhaps, they said their goodbyes, Jason told her it’d never work (which it wouldn’t), Alicia disagreed or agreed or whatever; I wouldn’t even care. It just seemed so out of character for the writers to not suggest there was closure, one way or the other, for her and Jason, instead of what seemed like abandonment. A lot of comments suggest Alicia became like Peter; I’ve never felt comfortable with that analysis. I think she learned from and became much more like her attorney colleagues — Cary, Will, Diane, David (he annoyed me), Canning (sp?), and the fabulous, Elspeth. If anything, I thought she became more like Diane than anyone. (Alicia did remark once that she’d learned from the best teachers.) That’s why I wasn’t at all surprised she pushed Kurt during his testimony. Diane would’ve done the same; she already assumed she’d succeeded in convincing Will to break it off with Alicia when it really was the fear of Grace’s abduction. I probably have some holes in my ideas because I didn’t start watching TGW until the fall of ’14, but I’ve been catching up during the late night, weekend reruns. Perhaps someday I will see all the episodes. I have appreciated your ideas and cordial discussion.

• jbutler says:

I do believe you and Christian and I saw the same things in the story of Alicia Florick. Her character morphed into a morally corrupted person and lost her self respect and the respect of her children.

• rene says:

i see you didn’t undertand the caracter, , from my perspective and opiniónz.
        is more likely she was push in thay direction from all the sorrounding caracters behavior, and mainly, her hussband, and the low self-esteem she usually reflected in the beguining as a consecuences her caracter was pushed to a different behavior and and self hidding in the inbthe hole to what you watched in the end.
        is a simple logic or action and reaction in the drama.

26. Cindy says:

I’m getting to a point where I don’t want to start watching these series any longer. You get involved with the people and there have been too many of them in the past several years that have just ended abruptly … with no ending to the story line. You get involved with these people and then can’t know what happened to any of them and you are just left hanging.

27. Susan says:

Yep! Extremely disappointing. Here’s a great drama with great characters and amazing actors, and a crappy ending. Made me ask the same question WTF?

28. Rene says:

that inconclusive ending is ambiguous and stupid, writer must have been in some trip, uuufffff all that time invested on this show, to come up for that stupid ending, is not like did it to make you come with some conclusion like josiah said, but come on you stick your head in the toilet and came out empty

29. Donna Newberry says:

It was one of the most terrible endings I’ve ever seen. If it showed them saying goodbye to each other or Alicia rejoining Jason after Alicia’s husbands talk on the stage, that could be accepted whichever way it went but to leave it up in the air was really a bad ending. That kind of ending is for a finale when you’re going to come back the next season wondering what will happen next. Very disappointing indeed since it was one of my favorite shows.

30. Parr Horvatic says:

I hated the ending…would have liked it better to just keep ow what happended between Alicia & Jason even if it was not what everyone expected

31. B says:

I thought the ending sucked, watched it for 7 years, it was 7 years wasn’t it, and it ended like that, please!

32. Lucille de la Chevrotiere says:

I’m not sure what happened either? You could still keep Jason on the show somewhere as pining away or be a detective? He’s a keeper.

33. Mona Breen and family says:

I found the finale to be disappointing and frustrating. It almost made me wish I hadn’t been such a loyal fan all those years. Huge letdown!

34. TCom says:

Just binge-watched season seven. yes, late. awful ending. I mean, really bad. All about Peter’s trial (bad), and of course we watched it for the relationship aspect too. They thought WAY too much about setting us up for a letdown. They could have prepared us for her transformation much better. Jason Crouse character was a pure delight to watch. Oh well, missed opportunity here.

35. nonyabizz says:

hmmm…. I’d quit watching Good Wife by then, so I missed this.

36. sunshine says:

What was the ending again?