Fall TV Preview
Nathan Fillion Modern Family

Castle's Nathan Fillion Books Arc on Modern Family Season 8

Castle vet Nathan Fillion is sticking with the ABC family, with a multi-episode arc on Modern Family.

During Season 8 of TV’s No.2-rated comedy, Fillion will play “a local weatherman who gets involved with the Dunphys,” executive producer Steven Levitan shared on Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

Fillion just recently shared with TVLine (in the video below) that because of Castle‘s cancellation after eight seasons, this was the first summer in a long while where he didn’t have to report back to work the first Monday after the San Diego Comic-Con, and thus he didn’t have a “plan” — other than to maybe get a haircut. His previous TV-comedy credits include Community, Drunk History and Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.

Fillion’s Modern Family gig comes on the heels of Castle castmate Jon Huertas joining the buzzy NBC drama This Is Us as a recurring player.

1. Lisa says:

Sweet!!!

2. Just one thing says:

So nice to see that bad behavior continues to be rewarded in that town.

• Ellen says:

Bad behavior got fired.

• T says:

Let’s get something straight, it backfired in his face!! He’s playing a weather man..hahaha!!!!! We could of had more castle but that’s on him

• ndixit says:

Hmmm… He’s got 8 years as a lead and got booked on a major hit show for a multi-ep arc soon after the end of his show. Yeah, it really backfired on him bad;)

• Haha says:

He’s playing a weather man!!!!

• Lala says:

What does it matter what role he’s playing, we don’t see Stana booking anything as yet. It’s a multi-episode arc in one of the most successful TV shows in modern TV history. Think of how many actors would give anything to guest star in a single episode on MF let alone a multi-episode arc. I don’t watch MF but i will surely be tuning in to the episodes he appears in, and pretty sure many Castle fans will too.

• ndixit says:

@HaHa You do realize that he’s “playing” a weather man. He’s not actually becoming a weather man. So your comment doesn’t make any sense.

• Boom says:

Ummm…..pretty sure that’s what @haha said he’s playing a weatherman. So you make no sense

• QYW says:

Guess what? Actors “play” all sorts of roles–it’s called–wait for it–ACTING. Freaking, duh. Man, the haters will jump on anything. Got to love the continual sour grapes from the whiners. SMDH

• ndixit says:

@Boom uhm… so what if he’s playing a weatherman? Actors play roles. @HaHa is being condescending for no reason other than to make fun but his reason for doing so make no sense. That’s my point.

• Lori Anderson says:

Nathan didn’t do anything wrong. Be glad he’s working so you can see him.

• Patrick says:

Take a look at Lala’s post. She’s dead on. The supposedly bad person in Fillion will book work hand over fist. Because everyone who works with him loves him. Stana will quickly disappear. She’ll barely work again, because no one seems to like her. Her fans will just have to suck on it.

• Andrew Hass says:

Haha are you saying there’s something wrong with been a weatherman?

• Jerri says:

He got a job that pays him money. Where’s the backfired part again?

• georgee says:

He did sign a contract with ABC in April, with no Castle they did have to find him a role somewhere.

• QYW says:

Uh, no. He signed a contract to continue to do Castle on ABC. Nothing else. They “didn’t” have to find him a role anywhere–that is what his agent does. This was explained down in the comments already. What aren’t you comprehending? The man is an actor, his agent found him another acting job on Modern Family, a show that happens to be on ABC–no diabolical plot to favor him–it’s just another acting gig–SMDH

• Lala says:

Just Stop!

• Unsane says:

Do your research. Fillion was not the cause of the problems in the Castle crew.

3. Shelby MacConnachie says:

Given that there’s really no evidence of wrongdoing — good for him. His acting isn’t my cup of tea, but I’m not surprised that he’s gravitating towards the comedy.

4. leftword says:

Oh look! He gets to play a clown again.

5. Maria says:

Oh good…another reason to continue not watching Modern Family.

6. ndixit says:

I really hope none of the crazy Stanaticsm who attack Nathan based on unsubstantiated rumors, ever serve on a jury. That would get pretty nasty for the defendant.

• Novoi says:

And the funny thing is, it was Katic who was the problem. I am sure Tvline has connections to the Castle crew, as do I, and no one says a word about it. It was Katic who was the problem. A lot of crew members have talked about it but I guess they are afraid of lawsuits or something. Katic was a complete diva who treated others like dirt, that is why Fillion got mad at her. That is the 100% truth but for some reason no one wants to talk about it.

• Just one thing says:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• SO says:

You’re so wrong. It was all gossip. You were there to see what went on???
        Time will tell & you’ll see.

7. Lala says:

I don’t watch MF but good for Nathan…bitter Stana fans need to realize Nathan did nothing wrong…it’s all just business! Life moves on and Nathan’s is moving on.

8. Karen Jones says:

I’ll be glad to see Fillion back on my tv screen. I don’t believe the tabloids. They’re totally contradictory to what I have seen watching his career, interviews, & panels for over 2 decades’ not to mention what everyone he has worked with has said about him.I don’t think people realize he ACTS like he has a big ego in public because his fans think it’s funny, & to get over being shy. He has openly said so…

All you have to do is look at how ABC treated Penny Johnson Gerald, & Kelly Ripa, to see they have a long history of screwing over their female leads.

• Trevor says:

Look how he still pops up in the Instagram feeds of his coworkers after the show has ended, they don’t think he is the devil, and neither do a lot of us.

• Fred says:

What does have to do with anything?? The same could be said for her as well

• ndixit says:

One has nothing to do with the either. The fanatics on this site try to paint Nathan as some sort of egotistic monster who doesn’t get along with anyone while that is complete BS because the cast and crew get on great with him. Nobody is saying anything against Stana. As hard as it may seem to comprehend, defending Nathan is not the same thing as attacking Stana. A surprising amount of people have issue understanding that.

• S says:

Do you f*ing comment on everything?? Get a life, you seem a little obsessed with Nathan…

• QYW says:

“S”, funny, first you claim not to be a “bitter” fan and now you are complaining about what others write in defense of some pretty nasty comments. Perhaps, you should be the one seeking to “get a life”, as you appear to have an obsession, yourself…..

9. Bianca says:

Look out Modern Family ladies: one of you can be fired so he can shine

10. Kim R says:

He will be hilarious! Looking forward. :)

11. KLS says:

Glad he got another (yet small) gig so quickly. MF is nearing it’s end and it’s up against Empire, hope he can help turn it around.

12. Jess says:

Rainer Shine is a genius name. Look forward to seeing Fillion display his substantial comedic chops. Hope more great roles are ahead for him. Cable series would be good.

Show’s over. Everyone’s moving on. Angry, bitter people who feed off rumor and tabloids really need to let it go and stop hating.

• Terri N says:

I agree . Time everyone to move on. Jon Huertus has a new gig too! I’m sure that Seamus and the others will too.

13. Kia says:

Great, one of my favorite shows is now tainted. I can’t explain it, I just don’t like this guy. :/

14. S says:

FYI we are not bitter Stana fans (at least not me), we are bitter Caslte fans. Stop saying Nathan didn’t do anything wrong, cuz what he did is show NO respect to the fans who followed his show for 8 years. And he continues to show no respect in the interviews he gives. He is a good actor so, on one hand, I am a bit excited to see him in MF, but that doesn’t change how I feel about him.

• QYW says:

So–you are speaking for all Castle fans are you? Umm, no, you are not–speak for yourself–you have NO idea who did what to whom–but are blaming Fillion for “not showing respect to the fans who followed the show for 8 years”–what? Oh no, you aren’t “bitter” at all–he’s responsible for everything that happened to Castle? Try delusional, much better word…. Wow, simply wow. I’ve been a Castle fan since day one–you sure aren’t speaking for me and my friends either…

• The Author says:

I find these accusations toward Nathan ridiculous. He is a massive geeky fanboy, and shows more love toward all his various factions of fans than a lot of other stars. People are just upset because he’s not as upset as they are, imo.

• lkh says:

We all know that he staggered and fell after he contracted Dengue fever and the show fell next.

15. georgee says:

I wish him the best of luck. He has already played that part before on Castle season 5 ep 02, he was funny.

• c-mo says:

No he didn’t, he only played with the green screen, pretending to be flying a la Superman and making hand puppets, all to make Beckett laugh; they were still partners.

16. Paradise Lost says:

Not a Nathan or Stana fan exclusively but was a Castle fan. They both did a great job building that couple and that’s what I tuned in for, two halves of a whole budding love story.
    Nathan needs to stay visible if he’s going to salvage his career. He’s proven before he’s into social media, so popping up here and there and guest starring on an established ABC staple is nice but…someone coming off their own cancelled show for (possibly controversial reasons) would be PR’ing a new show, not a guest spot.
    I wish them both well and I hope everyone involved learned a lesson, no matter who was right or wrong. That whole situation will morph into a coined joke phrase like ‘Jumping the Shark’ but it will be the ‘Castle Effect’. And I liked this show too much to see that happen.

• KLS says:

I agree. It might be an attempt to help restore his rep, plus give a boost to a dying show. It seems like ABC is looking out for him. I really thought that we’ld see news regarding Tamala Jones by now. She took the “firing” very well and came out supporting ABC. Time will tell. I hope all Castle actors get good gigs soon (if they want them).

• KFBS says:

Well said. I admit I am a Castle fan. Don’t know what happened but I am so glad the actors have NOT said a thing. Otherwise we would have a cat fighting reality show that would have ruin everybodys career. As it is the rumors aren’t helping.

I found Mr Fillion’s acting abilities pretty good in comedy & drama. And I was hoping this did not affect his ability to get more parts. Love to see more from him.

• Wendy says:

How can he “salvage” his career when he is still working consistently? I think *some* folks here continue to confuse rumors and innuendo with hard reality.

• JJ says:

What is he doing besides little guest spots??? Or con man?? Nothing!!! What @paradise lost says makes so much sense. And no I could care less what Stana is doing.

• Wendy says:

It’s simple. He’s still booking roles, big or small. Which is what actors do. So he’s a successful working actor with nothing to salvage. The hate here borders on the completely irrational.

17. jp says:

joey buchanan!

18. joey says:

It is great that some of the Castle stars are finding something to do, but is this nothing more than ABC holding up with a contract. Fillion did sign a new contract with ABC back in April for one more year, and not knowing if Castle was going on to a season 9 his agent was smart enough to add no matter what happened to Castle Fillion had other year with ABC. So instead of having him sitting around getting paid to do nothing they plunged him into this spot. I wish him the best of Luck, and this time he parks his ego at the door.

• KLS says:

Proof? I would think that the contracts the Castle five signed were for Castle only and for a season 9. Jon signed with NBC, so there doesn’t seem to be any restrictions. There could be an unwritten agreement that ABC would look out for them. Remember, ABC is also Disney, so movies could be a part of this as well. (Just my opinions of course)

• DP says:

ABC doesn’t own Modern Family, Fox (specifically 20th Century Fox) does. Any contract Nathan had with ABC Studios wouldn’t have carried over to a show that’s owned by a different production studio.

• joey says:

If you look at the rating data it is listed under ABC, what is up that.

• KLS says:

Fox studios owns MF (as stated above) but it is aired by ABC. Similar to Criminal Minds is owned by ABC Studios but is aired by CBS. Fillion had a contract with ABC Studios for Castle Season 9. That’s it. It’s not like the old days (or even the CW now) where an actor is signed to a network/production studio (for films). So they, Castle cast, are not getting paid by or obligated to stay with ABC Studios and can work wherever they want. (That’s just my take on things)

• DP says:

ABC is the distributor. They own the rights to broadcast Modern Family in the USA. ABC is listed for ratings data because they are the network that is the most interested in how Modern Family performs on any given night. But they don’t own the show, 20th Century Fox owns the show.

So, for example, if ABC were to cancel Modern Family, Fox could shop the show to other networks and see if anyone else wanted to pick it up for distribution in the USA.

The basic rule of thumb for understand television is this: A production studio owns the show, a network distributes the show. The studio runs the day to day production, negotiates contracts, hires actors and crew. The network pays the studio for the product that they produce in the form of distribution rights, and the network manages the show in conjunction with the studio and determines when/if they want to continue airing the product. If they don’t, the show is cancelled or, sometimes, shopped to other networks.

Channing Dungey truly gave the best description in how studios and networks operate on parallel tracks. It’s incredibly accurate, even if the studio is one of yours (i.e. ABC Studios/the ABC Network).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+200 TVLine Power User points (no cash value)

• Ellen says:

Modern Family is owned by 20th Century Fox, not ABC. So Nathan is being hired by someone other than ABC (Fox) so he can’t possibly have some kind of contract hold on him by ABC. Just like ABC Studios owned Castle, 20th Century Fox owns Modern Family. ABC just airs both of them, but the studios employ the actors.

19. The Author says:

All I have to say about this is…

SQUEE!

Like Reese’s peanut butter cups, two of my favorite things together!

20. JScout says:

Firefly.

21. Nathan’s an actor! Work is work, for goodness sake. Good to go, Nathan; just keep on dancing so everyone wonders what you’re doing!!!! I love it! (some people just aren’t compatible so then—-there’s acting, numb skulls!)

22. TvLover says:

I am not his biggest fan, but I’m glad to see that he as well as Huertas and I’m hoping other Castle cast members are finding new jobs. I hope that his episodes will be funny especially if he plays off Tye Burrell that should be a good comedic duo and scenes.
    Castle is over.
    The people involved in Castle are moving on to new projects and that’s good.
    Good for Nathan Fillion

23. Andrew Hass says:

Nathan Fillion probably wants to expand his resume a little and try a comedy.

• Ellen says:

He’s already done 3 seasons on a sitcom for ABC – Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place – with Ryan Reynolds back around 2000. This won’t be his first comedy role. But I can see why he would like to do a comedy right now after 8 seasons on a drama, even though Castle had it’s comedic elements. This allows him to show his diversity and is a far different role from what he’s been playing hopefully.

24. Angus says:

FIREFLY!!!!!!DUHHH. The role that made him famous.

25. carol says:

Never watch modern family ,now with the bullying male diva Fillion on it I definitely won’t be watching !!!

• QYW says:

Oh, how awful, said no one ever. You will truly be missed in the audience–or not, whatever…….

• QYW says:

Well, if you never watch it–why even comment on it? As far as, “I definitely won’t be watching!!” OK, and why would anyone care if you never watch a show and “definitely” will never watch it? I mean, we all get it, you won’t be watching–we will miss you terribly, and probably not survive the loss–but, uh, no, never mind–adios…….

26. lindag413 says:

I see the Nathan v Stana is still alive and kicking. Stana had a career before during and will after just like Nathan.
    Since all the rumors are rumors how about moving on Stana has three movies that will be released,’Nathan and Jon have shows.
    Good for everybody and until anyone can back up the snarky rumors ….let it go the same rumors have been around for 4 years.
    ABC let Maya and Penny last season Stana and Tamala this season shame on ABC.