Hairspray Live Hayes Rosie

Hairspray Live! Adds Sean Hayes, Rosie

Emmy winners Sean Hayes and Rosie O’Donnell have been added to the cast of NBC’s Hairspray Live! musical, airing Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 8/7c.

Will & Grace alum Hayes will suit up as dress shop owner Mr. Pinky (played in the 2007 film by Jerry Stiller), while Rosie will fill the role of gym teacher Prudy Pingleton (who was portrayed on the big screen by Allison Janney).

Hairspray Live! stars newcomer Maddie Baillio and Tony winner Harvey Fierstein as Tracy and Edna Turnblad, while the ensemble includes Jennifer Hudson, Ariana Grande, Martin Short, Derek Hough, Kristin Chenoweth and the recently cast Dove Cameron and Garrett Clayton.

1. Charlene says:

Won’t watch anything with Rosie in it.

2. Lynne says:

It’s been a while since I’ve watched it but isn’t Prudy Penny’s mom?

• kitsunesaru says:

That’s what I thought. I feel very confused now!

• Dude says:

She could be a gym teacher and Penny’s mom.

• LADY_in_MD says:

In the Broadway version she is both the gym teacher and Penny’s mom in the movie when she is played by Alison Janney she is not the gym teacher I think this tv version will be more like the Broadway version than the movie version but I’m basing that on the fact the previous live musicals have been more like the Broadway version than the movie like sound of music was

3. David4 says:

And I’m out. Either movie will be fine by me.

4. Anna says:

Was excited because I love Hairspray, but ugh at the Rosie casting.

Also, can either of them even sing? I remember Jack being a horrible singer on Will and Grace, but maybe Sean Hayes was just singing poorly on purpose?

• Aubrey says:

Neither of these characters sing much. Mr. Pinky sort of talk-sings in one number, and, depending if they double the roles of gym teacher/warden/Mrs. Pingleton, Rosie would sing (in a deliberately/comically bad way) in no more than two songs. Not a huge fan of either of them, but the roles are small enough that it won’t impact my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

• Anna says:

Oh yeah, you’re right about Mr. Pinky – I guess the only number he’s in is “Welcome to the 60s” and doesn’t really *sing*.
        I don’t think either will impact my enjoyment, but still feel pretty ugh about Rosie lmao. I guess if I could get through Mary J Blige trying (and failing) to sing live in The Wiz, I could get through Rosie trying to sing in this.

• Mary says:

You know Rosie isn’t my favorite, but I will still watch. I was surprised on how well Footloose was and there was a couple of actors that weren’t top on my list but they didn’t ruin the enjoyment I received from watching. The part isn’t huge so I think most can muddle through.