The Last Ship Recap: Green Daze

This week on TNT’s The Last Ship, a black circle turned into a bull’s-eye for the Nathan James, as the true nature of Peng’s grand plan was discovered. Plus: a new POTUS brought new drama to the St. Louis White House.

Freshly armed with the intel that Takehaya had been curiously instructed by Peng to never pirate boats that were marked with a black circle, Chandler & Co. set out to decipher why. Having learned that Wu Ming was a bigger player than they first imagined — and after seeing that Peng razed his entire compound, to cover his tracks —  the James found “mamma’s boy” Wu Ming at his mother’s house, where he was getting roughed up by MSS. Danny, Wolf and the others infiltrated and subdued the baddies, then subject Wu Ming to fruitless questioning. But while there, they gleaned that some lottery tickets pinned to his wall in fact were marked with hull numbers of ships — and that on the back of one was a black circle.

After some recon, the ship in question was tracked down — though it was a simple pleasure cruiser, steered by a goofball? Upon boarding the vessel, Sasha and Danny found nothing of interest… until behind a stash of drugs, behind a hidden panel, they discovered a missile. Back on the James, inside the missile was found pellets filled with the same “green mist” that Takehaya’s wife recalled seeing in the air before they received the cure. Doc Rios determines that the gas contains a lectin that shields the Red Flu cells from being exposed the cure — and that is why the cure had no effect on Takehaya and his wife.

Now, the question becomes: Just how many of these missiles does Peng have at the ready, and how can the James possibly stifle his grand plan for genocide, by shielding people from the cure?

Elsewhere in the episode, President Oliver took the oath of office, and his first priority is for the people of America to see, via video, that the James hostages were rescued. Alas, Kara still can’t seem to solve for the strange interference their comms have been receiving, thus keeping video from getting through. Kara also finds that her opinions on non-military (read: domestic) matters are no longer welcome by Rivera and Shaw, the latter of whom has abruptly sold out Michener’s domestic agenda to the regional leaders. Is she the mole inside the White House, or is Rivera? And did Michener not kill himself?

What did you think of the episode “Sea Change”? And did you hear about The Last Ship‘s Season 4 renewal??

1. Mordy Baron says:

Rivera and Shaw’s behavior was unexpected. We know Michener had been emotionally fragile, so I accepted suicide as the cause of his death. I never thought of murder.

• Kevin Fowler says:

It looks to me that Rivera and the blonde woman are planning a coup. And they probably want a dictatorship. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are the ones who blew up Chandlers plane early on. Chandler better get back there quick to put an end to this crap.

• Veronica Rodriguez says:

I totally agree. I also think they’re responsible, with the Chinese, for the messed up communications. But I think it might be Kara who might discover their culpability and take care of business.

• cej says:

Me too! When Kara was kicked out of the meetings, I said to my hubby, “Ooh! I don’t think it was suicide!”

2. Brad says:

Got the 24 feel to it there’s always a mole

3. Kevin K says:

Shocked about what went down in last week’s episode when President Michener (Mark Moses) hung “himself” to death. So many characters got killed off so far this season like a GoT rip-off. Bummed that The Last Ship won’t be back in two weeks and I’m happy that the series got renewed for a Season 4 but how many more would it last.

4. Mark s says:

Is that Cynthia Nixon I see on the last ship?

5. jr. says:

The show is okay. Surprised it got a season four renewal. The show has such a slow pace to solve things, over the entire season, instead of solving issues in each episode.IMO

6. Katherine215 says:

I wondered if he was murdered, too. I’m not sure Rivera or Shaw is the mole, as it feels like the show is trying too hard to paint them as suspicious. But that means it would have to be Sasha, and I kind of like her.
    Random question – is Takehaya’s wife Chinese or Japanese? I had thought Japanese since he is and the actress who plays her is Japanese, but are we to assume Sasha also speaks Japanese since she was fluently translating for her? Or just that Kyoko was bilingual and speaking Chinese to Sasha?

• Chrissy says:

Sasha knows all the Asian languages, I believe. She was translating for Tom in China with all the Asian delegates in the first episode.

• Vincent says:

I’m an Asian who speaks and understands Chinese (and watches loads of Japanese animes), so Kyoko was definitely speaking Japanese.

7. KayCeeCee says:

I think that it was murder. He came to terms with what he had done while on the Nathan James.

8. Veronica Rodriguez says:

Please don’t get rid of Hiroyuki Sanada (Takehaya). It sounded like he’s about to commit harakiri. I think Takehaya feels so much shame and embarrassment at what he’s done (after he realized that the US is not responsible for the green mist) and I think he’s going to kill himself, in order to restore honor to his house, for his wife and son. And this director is prone to killing off characters. I don’t want anymore good guys to die; just the bad guys. Why not have Please don’t get rid of Hiroyuki Sanada (Takehaya). It sounded like he’s about to commit harakiri. I think Takehaya feels so much shame and embarrassment at what he’s done (after he realized that the US is not responsible for the green mist) and I think he’s going to kill himself, in order to restore honor to his house, for his wife and son. And this director is prone to killing off characters. I don’t want anymore good guys to die; just the bad guys. Why not have Peng just swallow a missile. Plus, I have a solution to the green mist.