Girl Meets World Recap

Girl Meets World Recap: Lucas' Choice Revealed (and Other Surprises)

Friday’s Girl Meets World put an end to “the triangle,” witnessed the potential birth of a new relationship and ended with a jaw-dropping twist that brought the gang’s entire ski lodge experience full circle.

Let’s start with that messy triangle business: Jealousy (and a whole lot of confusion) reared its ugly head when Lucas and Maya discovered that Riley had stayed up all night talking to Evan, the lodge’s mysterious wannabe sherpa, who’s also… well, I’ll get to that later.

This inspired a super awkward talk between Lucas and Maya, in which he revealed — though not in so many words — that Riley is the girl he’s chosen to be with. And Maya was more than OK with that decision, having recently realized that she only pursued Lucas in the first place to keep Riley from getting hurt. Or something like that. (Honestly, it’s hard to keep track of why anyone on this show does anything anymore.)

Riley, of course, was thrilled with this news; the fact that Lucas promised to buy her cake was merely — pardon my pun — the cherry on top of the long-awaited revelation. And while Maya might not have been Lucas’ choice, she didn’t go home empty handed; Josh finally admitted that he liked her back, and didn’t exactly deny their potential for a relationship “someday.”

Now for that big twist I mentioned earlier: It turns out Evan, who’s technically responsible for reuniting Riley and Lucas, is the son of Boy Meets World villainess Lauren! So I guess that whole family exists solely to make sure the Matthews end up with their soulmates? Yeah, that sounds about right.

The dramatic escapade ended, as all episodes should, with a heart-to-heart at the bay window, in which Riley reminded Maya that no matter who enters and/or leaves their lives, she’ll always be her “extraordinary relationship.” D’aww.

Is this how you hoped GMW’s big “triangle” would be resolved? And what do you make of the episode’s other developments, including Josh’s confession and the big Evan/Lauren twist? Drop all of your thoughts in a comment below.

1. None of that made any sense, especially in relation to previous episodes. I knew this was going to end in Rucas but I expected a resolution to the triangle that at least made sense. Whatever, I’m not giving up hope on Lucaya, especially after the writers’ cryptic Tweets (again).

• Stacy says:

Those tweets were pretty messed up. They’ve been promising closure on this thing, in this episode for weeks/months now. Then right before the episode they mysteriously tweet about characters not making the right decisions. O-kaaay.

• jonnie says:

if they are boy&girlfriends on this show why dont they ever kiss?

• katiefanatic says:

the only reason the triangle happened at all was because the actor who plays josh got into a motorcycle accident and couldn’t come back for a while.. basically, the triangle was pulled out the writers butt to buy some time. stupid. we’ve known since the pilot it’ll always be riley and lucas. they’re the new corey and topanga.

2. Nic says:

The thing about “Boy Meets World” was that Cory and Topanga never felt forced. The relationships on this show feel forced. The only one that doesn’t is Riley/Maya but they’re never gonna go that route. Which is too bad, because it would be a great story.

3. Steven says:

I call BS. what the heck, Maya didn’t really like Lucas. She was only wanting to protect Riley? WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

• Pamela says:

I agree. I’m glad the triangle is over even though I don’t ship Maya/Lucas or Riley/Lucas, this storyline has made no sense like many other storylines in this series. Nothing like BMW unfortunately except for some of the same actors.

• Holly says:

Uriah was in a motorcycle accident and the show was thrown off because of it. They had to write something in while he was recovering.

4. amy says:

Are you saying you didn’t see that whole Evan being Lauren’s son thing coming from a mile away. because I totally called it

5. Emily says:

JOSHAYA FTW!

6. Stacy says:

>>(Honestly, it’s hard to keep track of why anyone on this show does anything anymore.)<<
    I couldn't agree more! I think this show backed themselves into a corner and didn't know how to fix it.

• Patrick says:

Yep. Adults understood the plot, even if they didn’t all like it. Tweens didn’t. Here’s the moral of the story. Disney’s audience has to be spoon fed a predictable plot, or they WILL LOSE THEIR POOP. Adults might have waited this out. Kids weren’t going to do that.

7. Tom says:

>It turns out Evan, who’s technically responsible for reuniting Riley and Lucas, is the son of Boy Meets World villainess Lauren

Who didn’t see that coming a mile away? As well as Lucas choosing Riley and Josh and Maya being on the horizon?

• Ange says:

The only thing that salvages this for me is if they make Maya/Josh the new Cory/Topanga which is great because you give Maya what she never had before, stability, and riley up in arms.

• Hannah says:

Exactly, as they dragged this triangle out they really ruined Lucas’ character for me. His character basically revolved around his decision between Maya and Riley. Josh and Maya give that feeing of the characters that are meant to be together and that both of them will be developed along the way instead of falling into the Moonlighting curse. Tbh, I really don’t feel like Lucas and Riley will last, it feels forced and the romantic chemistry is not there.

8. A. D. says:

Loved every minute of it!

9. Jason says:

Well, they certainly went with the most vanilla couple. Personally I always thought the most interesting pair would have been Riley and Maya. They’re at the age where people start discovering hidden truths about themselves. That would be a serious twist on this old chestnut. Those waters are probably a bit deep for Disney though. The LGBT representation on Disney channel is lacking thus far and I doubt they’ll take those kinds of risks anytime soon.

• Nic says:

Totally agree. Well said.

• dlraetz says:

Honestly if the show was on NBC I’d be assuming the show’s ending would be Riley and Maya 4 Ever

• Priya says:

Soo you want the writers to appeal to 2% of the population instead of the at least 20% they’d lose if they did….Logic.

• Colton says:

I’m pretty sure more than 2% of the population is gay or bisexual, not to mention including heteros who support it. So before you even mention the word ‘logic’… perhaps do your homework. ;)

10. Kate says:

This ending felt more genuine than the whole love-triangle ever was, but that’s just me.

Also, 100% called the “twist”. As did most BMW fans, I’m guessing. Still funny, though.

11. nadialus says:

Riley’s naivety is starting to really get annoying. I’m watching the show for Maya and the originals but over all it’s not the best show. The down your throat lessons every episode is unnecessary and I hope they change up the writing style. The entire Maya turning into Riley to see if she should trust lucas is ridiculous. I do really like the idea of her ending up with Josh in the end. Side note, I think the age difference between Rowan and the rest of the cast really shows.

• KT says:

While I agree with most of what you said, IMO I don’t think the age difference between Rowan and the cast show as Rowan is incredibly mature for her age. (i.e. Writing articles on feminism and how outspoken she is on certain social issues) However, you hit the nail on the head in saying about her naivety. I feel it’s Riley’s character that highlights the age difference. I hear it’s going to be addressed in an upcoming episode. I guess the counter argument is in life people mature at different speeds so no reason it can’t be the same on a tv show…even if it is annoying lol

• Ash says:

Agreed with everything. I wish the show would get moved to Freeform or something, if/when Disney decides to end it. Maybe they would do something substantial with the show over there to make it more like Boy Meets World and less like every other Disney show.

• Nicole says:

You said what I have been thinking every time I watch the show! It’s really made me start to dislike Riley and some of the storylines were very far-fetched but Maya and Lucas are each a year older than Riley so that could be why they have them at different levels in maturity.

12. I thought it was a cop out. Friends sometimes like the same guys, it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. But this show seems to think that these two girls wouldn’t have the same taste in guys. Ugh. And this totally discounts the fact that Lucas DID like Maya, enough that he was conflicted. Ugh.

• Nicole says:

YES! I felt like that was completely unfair to Maya. The writers probably did a U-turn with how they were going to explain the triangle, as if there even needed to be an explanation for a triangle.

13. Karen MT says:

I expected Evan to be Lauren’s son. And all I can say is FINALLY! Can we move on now?!

14. My Long game ships are Joshaya, Lackle, and Riarkle.

15. Sara says:

I’m really disappointed in the end result of the episode. The writers seem to think the conversation between Josh and Maya makes everything work, it doesn’t. They really need to send Rowan to acting classes so she can play off Peyton better in scenes if they want to make their characters into a believable couple. Sabrina and Peyton have much better chemistry that is tough to replicate with another actor, Rowan and Peyton don’t have it.

I don’t believe their explanation of why Maya “thought” she liked Lucas. Friends do make sure any potential significant other is good enough for each other, but they don’t develop fake feelings for the boy and worry as much as Maya showed in the bull riding episode. Riley had no emotional reaction to the possibility of Lucas getting while riding. Maya however couldn’t get herself to watch, like a very concerned and emotionally attached girlfriend. This is the episode that Riley realized the Maya had feelings for Lucas and decided to step aside for her friends sake. Maya had not started acting like Riley yet at that time so her “I have fake feelings for the guy my friends likes to make sure they are right for each other” thing does not work.

We all know that Riley and Lucas are being put together because they are supposed to be this shows Cory and Topanga, but this show does not have to follow the exact formula of it’s parent. Maya and Lucas have much more interesting interactions that I don’t think fans will find boring in years to come. I am already bored with Lucas and Riley’s interaction; there’s no anticipation with them. Lucas and Riley remind me of Cory and Lauren (who also talked all night). A relationship needs a little more than great conversations, because then silence will feel like it needs to be filled with words. Maya and Lucas have the spark and awkwardness of not knowing how to handle their feelings. They aren’t having great conversations because they don’t need to talk so much.

I don’t think the show will end with Lucas and Riley together. They’re just too platonically comfortable with each other.

16. Q says:

This storyline never made sense. When did Maya consciously or unconsciously become Riley? Couldn’t have been Texas since Riley reacted the complete opposite of Maya to the whole bull riding situation. Also why throw away Maya’s agency for this lame ending? When Maya pretended to be Riley the first time she did it consciously and realized Riley only liked Lucas like a brother. Why rehash this story in a way that makes no sense?

And how many times did we hear that Lucas liked Maya for teasing him and being there for Riley? Those by definition are not Riley-like qualities. Lucas had genuine feelings toward both girls, this whole ending was a cop out.

17. A says:

Completely precious. I loved it. Man that last Lucas/Riley scene, not sure if I’ve ever seen such an innocently adorable scene ever on TV before.

Also loved all the BMW callbacks

18. Ange says:

I liked this show for it’s lessons but completely dislike what they did to maya’s character and made it all about riley in the process. Disappointed.

19. A says:

Super cute episode! This series is really finding its footing.

20. James says:

Maya is gorgeous.

No guy would ever pick Riley over Maya.

21. Lynne says:

Cute episode but I wanted to SEE LAUREN!!!!! How could they go to the SAME lodge, have her SON working there (whoever didn’t see that from a million miles away don’t have two braincells to rub together) and we DONT SEE LAUREN?!?!

22. Matt Zmudka says:

I was really into the idea of Lucas and Maya before it happened and when they finally had their moment at the campfire it felt so intensely real. It felt like it was built to and perfect. I think it was probably just due to the great job Peyton and Sabrina have done these last few years.

However, I have found myself growing more and more apathetic and caring less and less. I can’t even tell when I quit caring. It felt too dragged out and it was before they even ended season 2.

I longed for any resolution at all and I don’t care if it was perfect. Now we can move on and the stuff with Josh and maya finally advanced their plot wonderfully which also is also probably due to the talents of Sabrina Carpenter. I think she has a special something that can click with anyone.

Let’s move on. Farkle and Smackle might be a little more interesting at this point. I reserve the right to retract this statement.

23. Stacy Q says:

WHAT A HORRIBLE REVIEW. Do you even watch the Show?

24. Revan Twofivesevenfour says:

Twist! What twist was that? Because really for awhile we knew that Lucas would choose Riley and that Josh did like Maya. As for Evan being Lauran’s I feel safe in saying that everyone figured that out the moment they showed him in the preview trailer for the first episode of the two parter.

25. fandomking1 says:

This show is dead to me now. To say that Maya never had real feelings for Lucas, that Lucas never liked Maya, spits on a lot of the character development of these two in the second season. And it really just makes no freaking sense!

• claire says:

I agree. This whole morphing into Riley and seeing if Lucas was the right guy for her is the most contrived and nonsensical garbage I ever heard. What a bunch of BS!

26. It would have made more sense if they said Maya wanted to be so much like Riley that she wanted everything that Riley had, including Lucas. The “protection” thing is BS.

27. I still think that Maya genuinely likes Lucas and subconsciously became like Riley so he would like her and due to her insecurities that no one would like her as she is.

(And Riley belongs with Farkle.)

28. Jaclyn says:

I was completely disappointed even though I always knew where it was headed: Rucas. I never once thought to myself “Maya is acting completely like Riley.” Then the writers started trying to shove the storyline down my throat and it STILL didn’t make any sense. It was a total cop out from them and I’m angry at them for it. Riley and Lucas have felt forced from day one. Lucas and Maya slowly built chemistry together. They’ve never felt forced. I’m just really angry at the whole thing. It came out of no where..in no way did Maya “liking” Lucas to protect Riley make sense.

29. Leeah says:

Whoever wants Lucas and Maya to get together will probably never happen. I love the way that episode ended! Is season 3 the last season???

30. Lexie says:

Yeah, this made no sense whatsoever.

These last few episodes have been tough to watch, everyone was just so resigned and way too say for people that “Got what they wanted”.

But this was only episode 8, still more than half a season ahead.

31. Nicole Miakelson says:

Honestly ski lodge pt2 is my fave episode im really happy that Maya and Josh had that awesome moments i watched the episodes over and over and my heart still skips a beat when I see rucas and joshaya
    #Best episodes ever

32. chasingjenny says:

I am still hoping for a Riley/Farkle coupling, makes more sense to me. And far more chemistry between Maya/Lucas than Riley/Lucas. Let’s hope it all gets shaken up.

33. Khos says:

I loved this episode. The couples that need/are supposed to be together are. That being said, I wish that they could make Riley more mature, she can still be goofy yet mature (it just shows her age gap in real life IMO) they did it in BMW with Corey and his goofiness. I would love to see it on Freeform, it can give more real life too it than they Disney CHannel ever could, especially if it wants to live a long healthy length like BMW. Just because it moves to Freeform doesnt mean it can’t be the same goofy show, it also doesn’t have to have all sex, drugs etc. BMW lasted how long without having to have those things become the center of it all. Just doesn’t let it end now, the ABC/Disney do the smart thing and keep this show going!!

34. Cynthia says:

I don’t even care, just as long as GMW stays on forever and/or everything ends happily. I am a 65 year old woman who watched “Boy Meets World” when I was in my 40s and I loved it. It’s such a pleasure to watch TV that is not vulgar or immoral. I don’t want to hear that “Boy Meets World” or “Girl Meets World” isn’t real life, because it could be. It is no one else’s responsibility but our own to make this world the best it can be. I am tired of watching programs or even real life blaming everybody else for their own bad behavior, and watching these two programs take me away from that nonsense, even if only for a half hour here and there. And you know what else? At my old age, I actually know the words to the theme song, and I dance around singing it everytime. GMW comes on. Ohh, the happiness! And thank you that I get the joy to see the old cast from “Boy Meets World”; I only wish we would get to see Cory’s little sister, Morgan…Hopefully? Preferably, the most recent one as she was the one that was there when the show end…”the longest time out ever…”

35. Shanna Freeman says:

Yes I am so glad Lucas picked Riley. I so love GMW I watched BMW when I was growing up. I am happy that I now watch GMW with my family. I look forward to future episodes and what is in store for Riley and Lucas’s relationship. I hope they have what Corey and Tapanga have I think they are a cute couple and compliment each other very well..

36. Melissa says:

I’m SUPER THRILLED with the ending….rooting for Lucas\Riley and Maya\Josh! It’s all as it should be!

37. QueenZee says:

I honestly believe that Maya and Lucas look good together and that Farkle and Riley would make more sense, but lets be real what looks good and what makes sense is no how love works, so this episode was my favorite too, because no true friend falls for the man her friends love.

38. Alan Dvorkis says:

I thought Uriah Shelton gave a great performance during this episode. His tone, his expression, his looks all make sense. His tone as mentor also seemed appropriate. I am in the minority in that I loved this episode. I loved the kid who talked to Maya all night. I loved the tie in to BMW, but I especially thought Uriah showed potential for a great future in film.

• Daphne says:

I’m sorry am I understanding this correctly Alan Dvorkis? You don’t see anything wrong with a chaperone (ie. someone in a position of authority) start up a relationship with a high school freshman that he was supposed to be watching over the weekend along with her classmates? Really?? Because personally, I see inappropriate behaviour right there! And before you tell me that they agreed to wait and play the “long game” and that’s not an actual relationship, I’d like to point out a piece of dialogue from the end of the episode where Riley clearly states “our first boyfriends” implying that both she and Lucas as well as Maya and Josh have entered relationship agreements (for lack of a better word). Also, the episode Girl Meets Bear shows that Maya and Josh are indeed behaving like a couple. Some would even argue they behave more like a couple (even if their “thing” is unofficial) than the actual couple that came out of Ski Lodge: Riley and Lucas! Maya and Josh hold hands and show affection more than Lucas and Riley do to each other…