Democratic National Convention Ratings

Ratings: Democratic Convention Down From RNC's Closing Night

The Big 3’s coverage of the Democratic National Convention on Thursday totaled 10.2 million viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, on par with Night 3 yet down from the RNC’s Night 4 (12.3 mil/2.6).

The prelim numbers are also down sharply from broadcast-TV’s coverage of the closing night of the 2012 DNC (14.7 mil/4.1, where NBC started at 9/8c).

UPDATE: Per TVByTheNumbers, with cable outlets and PBS folded in, Hillary Clinton spoke to 33.9 million viewers vs. Donald Trump’s 34.9 million, while Night 4 of the 2012 DNC did 35.7 mil.

Elsewhere on the night….

THE CW | Beauty and the Beast (930K/0.2) once again clutched onto its demo low while rising to its biggest audience in a year.

CBS | Big Brother (5.8 mil/1.8) ticked up a tenth.

ABC | BattleBots (3.4 mil/0.8) ticked up, while Greatest Hits (2.4 mil/0.6) dipped to season lows.

1. bostonjay2014 says:

I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in the numbers. Young Dems are more likely to watch online and on devices, as well as cable news. Not sure those numbers are/can be captured.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sure, but apples to apples – among those who get their nightly coverage via ABC/CBS/NBC – a (tenuous) comparison can be made.

• Ima Right says:

you mean their lies and propaganda.

• Maxx Dog says:

Trump will take credit since he ordered his minions to boycott.
        Not a surprise since we have an uninformed electorate voting based on tweets, rhetoric and TV ads

• After-Berner says:

Wow. You seem to be the uninformed one. Trump didn’t tell us to do crap. #DemExit – Wikileaks proved Bernie was robbed, and that the DNC colluded with CNN, MSNBC, and the major networks to control the story.

Really ignorant. Or are you another one of the paid Hill-schills that wikileaks also exposed?

• Jami says:

Yes that is true. I know I did.

2. Ima Right says:

Funny the media went crazy when first nite ratings were so good now none of them are
    even reporting about the horrendous last nite and Hellary’s horrendous speech. She
    and the left party just pushed their lies and garbage too much. TRUMP!

• msstargate says:

Not sure what channel not reporting….probably Fox News..because every night was better than the one before…and anything is better than that hate fest in Cleveland last week.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Um… just a few inches above I reported that the DNC numbers were down from RNC. Let me know if you need a map, first-time commenter ;)

• dan says:

Yesterday Variety reported that DNC night three was higher than last week’s RNC night three when you include cable ratings. Donald Trump was asking his supporters not to watch last night’s speech by Hilary Clinton so the numbers would be lower. I’ll be curious to see what happens once the cable numbers are added in to the networks figures.

• Sean Denoyer says:

Most people watch this on cable. Why not wait till you get those numbers? Why do you bother with this story when you don’t include cable news? CNN has been getting all of those old school broadcast networks combined?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Welcome, Sean! Cable numbers famously come in much, much later. I do hope/wish to update this if they paint a significantly different picture.

• maggie says:

Thank you Matt for saying you’ll update if numbers significantly change. I watched on C-SPAN, but I don’t think those numbers are included, are they?

• Andrea says:

Sean, this is also one of Matt’s regular features on TVLine He always writes a Ratings article any time there is new content on broadcast TV the previous night. In this case, the article is about political content because the convention was on last night.

• David4 says:

Lies? Clinton is a massive liar, but Trump is a massive liar who thinks he can fix the world by following Hilter’s ideas.

3. Andrea says:

i think it’s just overall convention fatigue. In other election years, have they always been back-to-back like that? I seem to remember years where there was 1-2 weeks in between.

• David4 says:

The rule is the party not in power has their convention in July and the party in office is in August. Bush 2.0 had his in September to use fear of 9-11 to get elected.

But this year there are the Olympics so they bushed them up before that. If I were the democrats I would have it in September so they would have more time to make sure they want Clinton and her sinking poll numbers. But they already set it up to be Clinton so they could have had the convention in August of 2015.

4. Piers says:

So we have a show called Pretty Little Liars and a DNC show that should be subtitled Big Ugly Liars. All politicians lie . By the time they reach national level they are compromised one way or another. My big concerns are Supreme Court appointments, beefing up the military and controlling immigration both legal and illegal. I have to go with Trump.

• Joey says:

I disagree with Hillary Clinton on a lot, specifically economic and foreign policy issues, but I will have to vote for her. While I would prefer a real progressive like Sanders, I will settle for Clinton. I cannot risk a Trump presidency. I’ve already seen Joffrey on the Iron Throne, and I don’t think Trump would be much better.

• Mireil says:

Yeah. Go with with the biggest liar Trump. Do yourself a favor and do your research about this so call Trump before opening your mouth.

• maggie says:

Trump calls people names, lies about things that are easily provable (is on tape as supporting the Iraq war, yet claims he was against it), makes impossible claims (there is no way he can make Mexico pay for a wall). The most impossible claim that Trump has made so far is that he will quickly end crime and violence in America after he takes office in January. When a leader won’t tell you the details of his/her proposals but says, “Believe me” and “I am the only one who can solve this,” be very afraid.

5. Maxx Dog says:

Feel embarrassed, sorry & scared for the future of America

6. Jami says:

Does anyone really watch the big 3 for news any more I am curious to see CNN/ MSNBC and Fox ratings. Sad when Trump/Hitler/ Mussolini ask his supporter not to watch Hillary Clinton’s speech, trying to oppress his supporters from listening to a Historic speech. Funny thing 2 Republican, friends today said they are voting for Hillary. They are embarrassed by Trump. Now the ugly war begins. I am a Libertarian, I am with Her.

7. Larc says:

DNC shouldn’t worry. Freak shows sometimes attract more people.

8. Jackie says:

But did anyone time the applause? That’s what determines a great candidate. Right? 🙄
    I watched the whole nite on pbs and thought it was inspiring. I’m sorry for those who missed it.
    #imwithher

• maggie says:

Trump not only timed the applause for his speech, but tweeted out the length of time of the applause and the number of times people applauded. He’s an egomaniac.

9. pickles says:

The first 2 nights ratings were good because of the Sanders drama unfolding. Obama did not give them a ratings bump either. DNC was paying people to come in and sit in all the empty seats.

10. PatriciaLee says:

They need to script her some humor, so her naturalness comes out. Please, don’t be afraid of showing humor. If Trump makes it, that would be how he got there.

11. Jamie says:

I suspect people were more curious about Trump. But last nite was truly historic, and I’m glad I tuned in live. I got more emotional than I expected. Thought she and the Dems did a great job all week. #Imwithher

12. sunshine says:

Wait, which is it? The first paragraph has l0+million then “UPDATE” section has 30+million. I’m confused. That’s a big dif.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Clearly delineated:

“The Big 3’s coverage … totaled 10.2 million viewers.”

“…with cable outlets and PBS folded in, Hillary Clinton spoke to 33.9 million viewers.”