Fall TV Preview
Superman on Supergirl

Superman on Supergirl: First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as the Man of Steel

Talk about a dynamic duo.

Warner Bros. has released the first photo of newly-christened Superman Tyler Hoechlin alongside onscreen cousin, Supergirl‘s Melissa Benoist, and there’s no denying that they make a pretty (sorry!) super pair.

Over the weekend at Comic-Con, Hoechlin told TVLine that he was “looking forward” to slipping into the Man of Steel’s iconic tights and cape (designed here by Supergirl’s costume guru Kiersten Ronning), adding that the whole experience has been “definitely surreal and probably hasn’t sunk in yet, but it will be fun.”

Hoechlin will make his debut as Supes in Supergirl‘s Season 2 premiere on Monday, October 10 at 8/7c on The CW.

Superman on Supergirl Photo

1. Judy says:

I have no idea why this made me laugh

• JenJ says:

This is a joke. right? Are they kidding me? Where’s his @ss? I don’t like to insult an actor, but surely they must have realized this guy is totally too skinny to be Superman? He looks like he’s about to fall over from trying expand his chest. Yikes!

• Jim says:

I know everyone hates the red undies in the 21st century because “it’s not serious enough for a guy who flies around in tights and shoots laser beams out of his eyes!” but Superman’s costume will never, ever look right without them.

2. Steven says:

Martin Brewer returns to the CW.

3. Andrew says:

Like, i doubt this is the case but Tyler’s head looks like its photoshopped on someone’s else’s body.

4. Lala says:

HE LOOKS AMAZING!!

5. ZinniQ says:

Wow, this guy is sooooooo gorgeous! Loved him on Tenn Wolf!

6. Lily says:

Why can’t they give Superman his underwear back? I demand his red underwear come back NOW. Seriously, I want to start a petition for this.

7. Kevin K says:

What an awesome photo between these two.

8. So the utility belt has been revived, but not the red underpants. I can deal with that.

9. Brandon says:

Tyler is a great actor and I have no concerns about him acting the part. But, my concern from the first time I heard about this was that he was too small, and it looks like he is. He’s cut, but he he’s thin. The neckline of the suit is also very weird which is why that looks odd.

10. David S. says:

I finally figured out what’s been bugging me about this casting. Kara arrives on Earth, and due to warp lag, Superman is already a grown adult while she is 12. So Superman should be at least 10 years older than her. But Hoechlin is only one year older than Kara. Their Superman is far too young to have been active as Superman 12 years ago.

• clintbrew says:

kryptonians age slower on earth when they become adults

• Azerty says:

I am aware of the Kryptonian slow aging but I must agree with David. Season 1 of Supergirl painted Kara as inexperienced and kinda reckless with the superhero business on the contrary to Clark who apparently has done this for several years when she starts to suit up. If they wanted to continue with that strategy they should have castes an older Superman who would have looked more mature

• jg says:

He is too young for the part.

11. SpeedRcrX says:

Sorry, but in this photo he remind me of a Ken doll… He is as stiff as a tree.

12. KLS says:

I guess they are counting on his hair to make him look taller (+3″)?

13. Jason Castleman says:

This is the worst thing I’ve ever seen in a cape. Holy crap that looks unbelievably bad.

14. Jimmy says:

The suit looks so unattractive in this picture. Does Tyler Hoechlin not have hips? Even for a man, that looks weird. Have to see what it looks like in action.

15. sinisteravenger says:

OOOF. That. Is. Awful.

“What we’re looking for in our Superman is a guy who looks like a tall midget and has the eyebrows of a Muppet.”

Superman has three weaknesses: Kryptonite. Magic. Eyebrow tweezers.

16. Joey Padron says:

Pretty decent photo of Tyler in Superman suit. Looking forward to see how he does as Superman on the show in new season!

17. Kitty says:

I’m watching For HER story, not the 544984th telling of Superman.

• J.B. says:

Calm down Hillary. He’s only in 2 episodes.

• Kitty says:

And yet he’s plastered all over the promos. And he seems to be the only thing the showrunners are talking about. I’m not the only person who started watching for HER story. There’s quite a large chunk of the fanbase that has zero interest in this.

• Jim says:

Her story involves him! They’re family! They’re supposed to be close! It’s a big part of who she is!

• Kitty says:

They kept making the point! Throughout the first season! That it was HER story!

Seriously, they barely even referred to him as Superman. It was either “my cousin” or “our mutual friend”. “The man in blue.” How did we go from that to every SuperGIRL related article being all about Superman?

18. texmike says:

The suit looks a lot better than the Man of Steel suit. I also vote for the red trunks.

19. James says:

I know this is petty, but I have trouble picturing Superman with a stubble like Tyler’s. He is usually clean shaven, isn’t he? (I talk about the character, not the actor). It might also be how awkward Tyler seems in this picture… so I’ll wait until seeing on screen for further judgement.

• J.B. says:

Superman has had a beard before over the years. In fact, the current pre-52 Superman shaved his off when he “replaced” the 52 universe’s Superman.

20. AlexandraTimeLord says:

Are we being Punked??

Sorry, But I cannot accept him as Superman. I mean Come on. I’ve seen every superman from the First serial to George reeve, to Chris Reeve, to Welling, to Routh, and Cavill.. and the Animated Supermen…..not to mention the Comics…

And I can’t see this guy as The Man of Steel, as the greatest super Hero Ever!

Sorry..NO!!

21. Josh says:

Yikes…that’s awful…..

22. sarah t says:

Hmmm, this picture seems like it’s been a bit too edited. And why can’t we get Superman’s red underpants back? I get that maybe they’re not modern but seriously, if Supergirl is wearing a skirt… It just kind of completes his look.

23. tallsy says:

How does a photo make Tyler Hoechlin look bad?? I thought that would be physically impossible.

The whole thing’s a trainwreck (not the fault of Benoist’s who’s very talented), including the pretense that Flockhart will still be a significant part of the show. They should’ve just admitted it didn’t work and moved on.

24. Phun says:

Looks good! Looking forward to more pics from the set.

25. Didn’t care much for SG but I like TylerH. I remember when he was onSeventh Heaven.

26. The Kaibosh says:

I guess it looks OK but Superman should be an imposing figure and in this picture he just looks too skinny. But on the other hand looks like CW will finally have Superman on screen.

27. Amy says:

I see the photoshopping is now on a CW budget too.

28. Duffy says:

He’s perfect.

29. John says:

Suit looks horrible almost as horrible as that black Jimmy Olsen. It makes me sick to my stomach having to watch Supergirl being “in-love” with a ‘brotha’. What a load of PC garbage, an intelligent white woman that hot would never date a black man in real life. What a load of PC garbage. What’s with all this WW/BM mixing going on in comics? Who exactly are they doing this for? Non black men don’t want to see it, black women definitely don’t want to see it, so are we suppose to believe that white women really want to see it? Oh please give me a break! Supergirl’s targeted demographic is nerdy white fangirls and I’ve honestly never met a single white fangirl in my entire life who was attracted to black men. NOT A SINGLE ONE. So sick of all the PC garbage, sure a lot white female SJW will claim it’s a good thing so they don’t look racist but deep down they know it’s bs and they themselves wouldn’t even date a black man in real life..

• parstl says:

YOU’RE AN IDIOT AND A BIGOT. I know plenty of women, including white ones, who are simply looking for a good hearted straight man of any race. Most single women over the age of 28 are looking for qualities that they would want around their kids or family. I’ll tell you this–most wouldn’t want the hatred and ignorance of someone like you around. Find a time machine and transport back to Nazi Germany where you belong.

• GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

White fangirl, here, and there are many, many black men I find attractive and would consider getting involved with. Don’t paint me with your prejudices, please.

• GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

Actually, let me rephrase that so that the ‘considering’ doesn’t give an out for John to try to run with. There are many black men I would happily get involved with, just not all at once, mind you. The fact of the matter is, the color of a man’s skin is just one component of who he is and one of the last components of attraction.

Conversely, the most physically attractive man in the world, can be completely unattractive based on other character traits, such as raging bigotry.

• Dennis says:

Who brags about their willingness to become a mudshark? I bet your parents are so proud of you. Smh, pathetic.

• “White fangirl” here and I will tell you that the color of a person’s skin has nothing to do with whether or not I will date them. Ignorance, bigotry, racism and just plain being an asshole, however, are all perfectly good reasons not to date someone.

• Dennis says:

Nope sorry but the OP is right, a chick like Kara would never date a big darkie like James IRL. We all know it’s true.

30. Azerty says:

Am I the only on who got the feeling he won’t stick around? As far as I remember he was announced for only 2 episodes? I have the feeling they will either kill him (doubt it) or send him away to find the remains of Krypton or something like that under the excuse that now Suoergirl can handle anything and protects Earth on her own. Don’t why but that would help to avoid the recurring question “why doesn’t she call her cousin, specially now that he has been casted”.

31. Greg Enslen says:

He looks exactly like Lord Farquaad…

32. Jenn says:

I feel like this was a good picture at some point, until someone began playing with the settings in Photoshop…

33. Ram510 says:

Hmmmm. I initially thought he was a perfect fit for the role, but that picture is a little bit of a let down

34. Sheila says:

Looks like Bruce Campbell’s younger brother

35. eni1197 says:

Hoechlin looks kinda weird here….and it looks photoshopped…whaaaaat?

36. CK says:

No sir, I don’t like it. She’s perfect for the role. But this shot makes him look like millennial or something. The hair, the stance, the look on his face – just don’t look right. i thought he might be a good pick, too. I think maybe it’s his placement in the shot. He just looks – narrow. Like an emo superman or something.

37. dee123 says:

HOLY PHOTOSHOP Batman! I mean Superman. LOL. Why do they do this?

38. Jared says:

Tyler’s KILLIN that Superman pose! Can’t wait to see what he does with the role.

39. Kim says:

Is he doing a duck faces?!?!

40. kaliber says:

He looks like Patrick Fischler Photoshopped into a Superman suit.

41. It’s gonna look awesome, they should’ve taken a real picture though, the rendering looks really fake.

42. MattySi says:

I don’t know if it’s the picture and the lighting or his eyebrows or what he does not look like Superman.

43. Lee Kirk says:

I loved Tyler in 7th Heaven, i loved Tyler in in Teen Wolf
    I was happy when he was announced for the part
    but that is single handily the second worst superman pic i have ever seen
    & it reminds me of the worst which is Nicholas Cage’s version that fell through (google it if you want nightmares)

the body is decent but the face is…….no i’m sorry

on a side note am i’m the only one that can’t sign in to comment with my facebook account?
    or did they change it?

44. MrSatyre says:

Um. No. Definitely not Superman material. Too skinny.

45. Naaate says:

If we’re being honest he isn’t even the skinniest Superman we ever had.

The costume looks great. The belt may be a bit too large but I like the futuristic feel to it, compared to Supergirl’s. Love the regal feel of the cape. And that’s probably the best rendition of The S shield in live-action, period. Love the small details and lines too. Would’ve added wrist guards just to fit the feel.

What I don’t like is the way they colored the shot. They made them both way paler than they are, and Tyler’s hair is too overdone. How much hair grease does Superman use? I’d even argue they should’ve kept Tyler’s stubble.

6/10

46. Ange says:

HORRIBLEEEEE

47. Seanography says:

plot twist: He is in fact wearing the red undies, but only Supergirl can see it with her x-ray vision.

48. Michael says:

Meth Head Superman.
    Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Superman.
    Super-CreepMan

49. Zod says:

funny how she tries to look skinny and Hoechlin look bigger. ha