MTV Classic Network

MTV Classic to Replace VH1 Classic; New Network to Feature '90s Throwback Programming

R.I.P., VH1 Classic.

MTV has announced that beginning Monday, Aug. 1, VH1 Classic will officially morph into MTV Classic. The newly-rebanded network will feature “an eclectic mix of fan-favorite MTV series” from the ’90s and ’00s, including Laguna Beach, Beavis & Butt-head, Cribs, Jackass, Punk’d, and Clone High.

The launch date was not chosen randomly. August 1 marks 35 years to the day that MTV first debuted.

“MTV’s programming vault is a music and pop culture goldmine with universal resonance,” said Sean Atkins, President of MTV, in a statement. “MTV Classic gives audiences a modern and artful home for classic MTV programming and — alongside MTV, MTV2, MTV Live and mtvU — rounds out a diverse portfolio with music and youth culture at its core.”

On Monday, MTV Classic will re-air “MTV Hour One” at 12 pm/ET, which will lead into the Total Request Live retrospective The TRL Decade. A marathon of MTV Unplugged’s greatest hits — including sessions with Bob Dylan, Alice In Chains, Erykah Badu, Oasis, Neil Young and Nirvana — will follow.

1. Wildflower says:

They have to show old episodes of the Real World and Road Rules. Absolute must!!!

• C says:

Absolute must! I would love to do a full rewatch of the seasons I remember most – Miami, Boston, and especially Seattle.

• sarah t says:

HA! I was just saying to my co-worker that I would love to re-watch episodes of the Real World (the older seasons, newer seasons don’t do much for me anymore and I gave up on them a few years ago). Plus, it would be nice to get some Laguna, TRL and music videos. I’m on board for this!

2. Joel says:

I’ve been saying for years we need an MTV Classic. But you need to throw in some older stuff too. We need some Remote Control, Liquid Television, Singled Out, Classic Real World and Road Rules, Classic Beavis and Butthead. I’d watch that stuff for hours.

3. SG says:

Do you realize most of those shows aren’t really from the ’90s?

• Dick Whitman says:

Do you even read, bro? “an eclectic mix of fan-favorite MTV series” from the ’90s and ’00s…”

4. Travis says:

Please tell me they will have undressed?

• Steven says:

Yes! If they have Undressed and Daria I will be glued to this channel!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

PRESS RELEASE: “…series such as “Daria,” “Beavis & Butt-head,” “Aeon Flux,” “Run’s House,” “Pimp My Ride,” “Cribs,” “Jackass,” “Punk’d,” “Wonder Showzen,” “Clone High” and more….. On the weekends, the network will serve up binge-worthy marathons of fan favorites including full seasons of “The Real World,” “Laguna Beach,” “Road Rules” and more.”

5. Rachel says:

Road Rules!! Singled Out!! Yes!!!!!

6. Joey says:

I need my old Thursday night 10/9 PM shows: Daria followed by Celebrity Deathmatch.

7. Antoinette says:

I need them to show The State, Liquid Television and Daria..I will be too happy! Oh and some road rules starting with season one!!! #Mark #Kit

8. Ro says:

“And yes, MTV Classic will also weave in the occasional music video. If you’re into that sort of thing.” Wow… an occasional music video. What a concept.

• Kenny Jones says:

M is for MUSIC..Seems they built a NETWORK on MUSIC Television but yet they play old reality shows. really unreal that they can`t embrace their roots of dedicating a channel with JUST Classic MTV Videos from the inception of the network with what we grew up watching. Shame on them for not embracing the past, Life DIDN`T start in 1990

• Calif_Gal says:

I agree. The original MTV was much better – just music videos. What they should really do is have an MTV 80s – that plays only 80s & early 90s videos (like up to 1992 or 1994) – just prior to when it really started to change with all the reality shows. And then have MTV 90s that plays all the mid 90s to early 2000 stuff. I think everyone would be happy. I think Sirus has the better idea when it comes to music. They have a 70s station with only 70s music, and then an 80s station and a 90s station – to suit everyone taste in music. MTV should try to pursue that.

• atia says:

Yeah, I thought when they said “old-school MTV” it meant they were going to have a channel that showed all music videos with the occasional music news feature, like the ORIGINAL.

9. Nicole says:

I really hope they play Undressed. It isn’t available anywhere. I’m constantly watching Daria either on Hulu or DVD so I’m good there. I just really want Undressed.

10. Troy1986 says:

I remember when VH-1 classic debuted and it was solid older videos with no commercials…I was in heaven!

• Calif_Gal says:

Me Too! i remember my boyfriend had VH1 classic at his place (it wasn’t yet available through my cable system – and then later it was too expensive for me to add). But yes, I too loved the original VH1 classic. Too bad what happened to it with all the commercials and movies.

11. Rewatching the old Real World seasons would be nice, especially the first few that felt real. And the original Road Rules. I’d even like to see the RW/RR season where Rachel and Sean met, since they have like 8 kids now.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Yassss!!!!! I’m a 90s baby so seeing all of these shows again just bring back memories! They better show Run’s House and The Osbournes those were my hands down favorite shows to watch coming home from school LOL. Rev Run and Ozzy 2 music LEGENDS come on now!

13. jazzyt2u says:

Yes old school Real World and Road Rules…. Hope they show Yo! MTV Raps

14. mollytanner says:

Wish List: my top 3 Real World seasons- Seattle, Miami and New Orleans; the nightly soap opera Spyder Games I think that was 2001; episodes of Made circa 2002-2004; Singled Out and random episodes of Alternative Nation, Top 20 Countdown and Headbanger’s Ball. I’d love clips from Spring Break and the summers when MTV actually had a beach house and VJs and guests being interviewed.

15. mary says:

If I wasn’t upset enough about the Sesame Street news, you’ve now made feel really, really old.

16. matty says:

This makes my life! I hope we get treated to some rare MTV shows like Austin Stories and Apartment 2F! I would also kill for full episode reruns of TRL!

17. Garrett says:

Definitely Undressed, but I would love to see Spyder Games again.

18. Jason says:

I’d be more interested if they were throwing 80s shows in the mix.

• Calif_Gal says:

What about just another MTV/VH1 channel dedicated to just 80s & early 90s music videos. And I mean ONLY music videos. Nothing else. There seems to be a generation gap here. Different generations like/want different things. I don’t understand the fascination with 90s reality shows and cartoons. MTV STANDS FOR MUSIC TELEVISION PERIOD. Some incompetent Execs & others at MTV decided at some point in the mid-90s that it be a good idea to add teen soap operas, cartoons, & other goofing around shows to the station – rather than just start a reality show station, mixed with cartoons. I suppose these shows were so addicting (to the younger generation) that it caused little protest.

19. Jim says:

Young ones, british comic strip and headbangers ball would be cool

20. AC says:

I hope they show Daria with the original music, and not the studio crap that they use on the Hulu version.

21. Rob Horine says:

I was bummed when VH1 stopped playing videos in the morning. I was afraid VHIClassics would soon follow suit (in the morning they showed vids from the 80s and 90s and from 9-12n EST videos from the 80s). I hope MTV Classics will still show those videos in the morning.

I was singing with J. Giles “Love Stinks” at my dialysis treatment recently. One of the nurses said who would like a song like that. By the end of the song, she was singing along too. 80s music RULES!

22. Mark says:

I can drop this channel now. Save a lot of money.

23. Karen MT says:

I’m hoping for Remote Control. I’d also hope for Dead at 21, but I’m *still* traumatized by the ending. My first experience at cliffhanger cancellations.

24. Cb says:

Nooo! I loved vh1. MTV already has 10 freaking channels. Why? People who enjoy concerts and deeper programs aree really gonna miss you. Shows to Road Rules, Real World, Jersey Shore all might as well be called F@CK YOUR ROOMATE. Good for nothing trash. Well I for one am out.

25. rob says:

We don’t need this all most of these shows are available on DVD and again MTV was not supposed to be a station to play shows but music videos. MTV MUSIC TELEVISION ??. I wanna see MTV back to its 80’s roots Music videos every hour like it should be. Live concerts & if any shows shows about music .

• Calif_Gal says:

Rob, I could not have said it better! I’ve never been happy with the direction MTV went in the mid 1990s. I am hoping some day SIRUS music will come to television – and we’ll have an all 60s & 70s video music channel, an all 80s video music channel, and a 90s one. There were a lot of TV performances in the 60s and 70s – shows like the Ed Sullivan show, American Bandstand, the Midnight Special, & Don K’s Rock Concert. Movies as well – like the Beatles ‘A hard day’s night’ and ‘Help’ could also be shown, along with other Rock band related movies. What MTV has become is sad. I know a few people in their 20s who really appreciate old music – like from the 1970s!

26. Robert Owen says:

What does “MTV” stand for anyway???

27. Lori says:

What about the original videos? Cheap trick adam ant. The channel should also show the videos that were aired at that time. I miss those great videos.

• AnnieM says:

Try Vevo – it’s free (they have commercials), and you can pick what you want to see. We have their app on our Roku and our tablets. I imagine you could watch on their website, too. They have a pretty extensive library both new and old.

• Calif_Gal says:

yeah, bring back the Videos MTV!

28. RockUFOrever says:

How can the 90’s be considered classic MTV,far from it,the 2000’s are even farther from classic MTV.Should of just started showing MTV from the debut and continue on from there.

• Calif_Gal says:

yes, that would have been nice. Like what one of the other channels does with SNL – airing all the SNL shows in order. yes, they could have started with all the music videos from 1979, 1980, ’81, and so on – till 1995 or the year 2000, I suppose. Just as long as it’s music & nothing else. Though most of the Rap stuff I didn’t care for in the late 90s.

29. Bill Vehse says:

this is total bs man mtv sux hard core

30. jc says:

Terrible decision. Mtv started to really suck in the era that they are going to.

31. kendra2877 says:

I am not happy about it at all. I LIKED VH1 the way it was. So we didn’t get another channel it was just a replacement on a channel. That is bogus.

32. Whatever says:

All the shows that made the original MTV suck in the first place. RIP VH1 Classic, you’ve been replaced by yet another pseudo music station that will disappear in a few short months. From music to fake drama- yay!

33. ROBERT C STRANGE says:

I am so glad MTV classic is on the air and I like those old videos it brings back the old days I hope to keep on playing to old videos

34. ROBERT C STRANGE says:

I’m so glad they got MTV Classics now it brings back the old days I hope that played the eighties video that was the best error ever I like to see the DJ too like Alan Hunter Nina Blackwood and all the other ones and try not to play 90 stuff on here

35. Steve c. says:

Unbelievable. How many more mtvs do we need. Tons of rap crap and kill yourself country stations on Comcast but now there is no classic rock station. You suck mtv.

36. Mark Geuy says:

Are you kidding me???? I liked what VH1 classics was doing with the video of the 80’s, metal mania, 120 minutes, etc… I wanted to get away from that realty stuff and now they put it back on ….ughhh!!! Time to come up with ANOTHER music video channel that is nothing but MUSIC VIDEOS, not this reality, TV show stuff that ruined MTV to what it is today….SHEESH!!!!

37. PATRICIA says:

Absolutely horrible program. Bring back VH1 classic. They should have a music program dedicated to true classic music videos, from the 80s, not this reality BS, hip hop, crap music videos. Very disappointed. Guess I’m showing my age.

38. Betsy Gorry says:

VH1Classic going away really stinks!

39. Danny says:

You guys have gone down hill ever since you stopped showing videos and began showing all those stupid reality punk kid shows. You’ve now removed the only channel we old rock and roll fans could watch without all the reality and rap crap. Remember “I want my MTV”? Well, I’m sure a lot of us want our “VH1C” back. I know my input won’t make any difference but had to say something

40. Tom Allen says:

You’ve lost me! I was a big fan of VH1C. Love heavy metal and That Metal Show. Bad move people!

41. none of your damn business says:

How about bringing back some of the spring break and summer live shows they used to do every year. Maybe bring back Rock and Jock games.

42. Thomas Clarke says:

I’m very sad that vh1 classic is replaced. MTV classic is really suck & weekly lineup is 100% thumb down for me. VH1 classic should be only for classic rock channel & for greatest hits of 70″s, 80″s & the 90″s. Also VH1 classic channel has many great concert live show. Now MTV classic channel are not for classic rock fans & viewer. Hope someday VH1 classic will comes back & only for classic rock channel, not stupid reailty shows like real world & all that junk lineup now. MTV classic is not for classic rock fans & that”s really shame now with no classic rock channel.

43. Rob says:

Done, Just cancelled dish to 250.
    I ain’t paying to even Have mtv coming in my house.
    Mark Cuban had better shows on AXS.

44. Cris Miller says:

How about playing some videos for a change…either that or change the name because you certainly are no longer “Music Television” or “Video Hits 1”

45. What about us guys that enjoy our Classic Heavy Metal videos, I mean really enjoyed what VH1 was showing of classic metal. Will this new MTV channel have something for us?

46. Johanna Athas says:

I literally just discovered this channel! I have been saying for YEARS that we need a retro MTV channel dedicated to MTV of the 90s! I’d LOVE to see old Real World and Road Rules seasons from the 90s! So pumped about this channel!