Katy Perry Performs 'Rise' and 'Roar' at DNC Night 4 — Watch and Grade It!

Katy Perry is voting for a girl — and she likes it!

The 13-time Grammy nominee took to center stage at Night 4 of the Democratic National Convention to voice her support for Hillary Clinton in more ways than one.

“Both of my parents are pastors and staunch republicans,” she explained. “I didn’t finish high school, and unfortunately, I don’t have a formal education. But I do have an open mind and I have a voice, so I’m asking you to have an open mind and to use your voice because on November 8, you’ll be just as powerful as any NRA lobbyist. You’ll have as much say as any billionaire. Or you can just cancel out your weird cousin’s vote if you like. Because remember it’s not where you come from, it’s what you grow into. So here’s how I’m going to use my voice. I’m going to vote for Hillary Clinton.”

What followed was a rousing performance of Perry’s new Rio Olympics anthem “Rise,” in which the singer paraphrased the last lyric to reference the Democratic presidential nominee: “She will still rise.” She then transitioned into the 2013 mega-hit “Roar.”

What did you think of Perry’s performance at the DNC? Weigh in via our poll, then drop a note in the comments section below.

1. peterwdawson says:

I’m going to laugh if after all this it still turns out the DNC didn’t get permission for one of the songs they featured during the week.

• Allie says:

yeah… that would be funny except it doesn’t happen because Democrats aren’t racist, homophobic, anti-women & anti-immigrant. We are PRO America, women, police, blacks & military. We LOVE our country and aren’t fearful so the truly bright artists and intellectuals (including your own George Will) support the message and are happy to use their art & intellect to further the cause. But hey, you always have Chachi and some F-lister underwear model.

• Pamela says:

If the USA only had one political party we would be China.

• peterwdawson says:

Hey idiot? I was referencing the insane amount of songs used without licensing over the campaign slog, which has, at least report-wise, been primarily been happening via the Republicans. I’m not beating the RNC drum, I’m trying to make a broader point about for how much the RNC effectively terrified people last week, the DNC has managed to show a rather large amount of incompetence. Case in point, that rant at a non-partisan remark about licensing issues that’s really more a dig at the Republicans.

• Scott says:

Think you might be a bit slow, pardner. The DNC has permission to use the songs played. The RNC STEALS songs. Super different. Your original comment seemed to show an odd bias. Allie may have reacted a bit intensely to your snide comment, but she is correct nonetheless. And the DNC was FAR more competent at running a convention than the RNC. What were you watching? The well-produced videos? The spot-on comments? The A list speakers? Go back to your mom’s basement and hope a girl talks to you someday.

• Walter Freeman says:

Bzzzt! Wrong answer. Most politicans on both sides of the aisle never bother with licensing agreements for songs used on the campaign trail. Why? Musicians have little to no legal recourse since the venues themselves have blanket agreements with songwriter unions. Let’s not forget that Bill Clinton never got Fleetwood Mac’s permission to use “Don’t Stop” which was featured as his walk on music at nearly every event in 1992. The difference? Fleetwood Mac liked Clinton so they never complained.

• peterwdawson says:

A ‘bit intensely’? Cripes, how insecure are you guys? My point was joking that after how organized the DNC has seemed that it still turns out they messed up, which is pretty much how it’s looked this whole election. Democrats have their nominee well in place, it’s obviously going to be Hillary! Boom, Bernie shows up. DNC would never conspire against a candidate! Emails show that isn’t, in fact, the case. Case in point is this entire chat really: Trump fans are humorless, anti-love zealots! Now lets jump down the throat of a guy making a random joke and when called out for firing off half-cocked double down with a weak, half-hearted admission of guilt.

• S says:

Allie, where did that even come from? This guy made a comment about licensing and you somehow went into defence mode shouting about racism and homophobia? If you find yourself alone at parties, this is why. Go outside, get some sun.

• Walter Freeman says:

Obvious paid Hillary comment trolls are obvious.

2. YoMAMA says:

She looks like Cher+Christina Aguilera

3. Daya says:

I hate having a “weird cousin”. She likes reading and theatre and other things that I like…but she’s a huge conservative and it twists my poor liberal mind into knots. :(

4. ninamags says:

I loved her line “Use your voice. Because on November 8, you’ll be just as powerful as an NRA lobbyist”.

Fantastic!!!

The sound was sort of bad and I really couldn’t hear her songs fully but they were great songs to be heard. Especially “Roar.”

5. HAP says:

Have not been a fan of hers, but was actually surprised to learn that she is a high school dropout.