Shutterstock

Babylon 5 Star Jerry Doyle Dead at 60

Jerry Doyle, Babylon 5’s security chief Michael Garibaldi, has died.

The actor’s Twitter account posted the news Thursday; the update did not include the cause of death.

TMZ reports that the actor was found unresponsive at his Las Vegas home on Wednesday, and that no foul play is suspected.

Doyle’s nearly 30-year career found him appearing on several TV series, including MoonlightingBeverly Hills, 90210; JAG and NYPD Blue. But Garibaldi was Doyle’s most notable part, and one he played for the sci-fi series’ five-season run, as well as in TV movies related to the drama.

1. John Lorentz says:

Babylon 5 ran for five seasons.

2. Walter Freeman says:

Some of us are still trying to forget the fifth season though.

3. Kevin In CT says:

Ahh man 2016 is really turning out to be a very bad year. He was so good on B5 :(

4. Andrea says:

Condolences to his family. I liked him in his B5 role.

5. Imzadi says:

Another Babylon 5 actor gone too soon. Rest in peace.

6. Jerry G says:

Jerry Doyle, Michael O’Hare and Jeff Conaway were all 60 when they died, and Andreas Katsulas was three months shy of 60 when he died. Weird coincidences. And when you add in Richard Biggs’ sudden death at 44, there definitely is a black cloud over this cast. So sad to see so many die relatively young, these days.

• PatriciaLee says:

Percentage-wise, it probably falls within the bell curve. Let’s not get carried away, here. There are a lot of cast members, don’t forget: Bruce Boxleitner, Michael O’Hare, Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, Richard Biggs, Andrea Thompson, Bill Mumy, Jason Carter, Tracy Scoggins, Stephen Furst, Patricia Tallman, Peter Jurasik, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, Robert Rusler.

7. Carla Krae says:

Oh no, not another cast member! This really sucks.

8. Tom says:

Sad to hear, but am really surprised to see this site acknowledge Babylon 5

9. Chaosrainz says:

Loved B5 back in the day and even checked out his radio show a few times. I got the impression he was a bit high strung and probably an A type personality so I can’t say I’m surprised. Sad news.

10. garibaldifan says:

So sorry to hear. My love of B5 has not dwindled over the years …. intensified even. I had to get the complete series and movies and watch them all every 2-3 years. I enjoy it every time as much as the first one. I love the Delenn/Sheridan romance (practically perfect in my books); the wonderful adversaries G’Kar and Londo, whose path to spiritual peace, redemption and even respect is a joy to watch. There are so many great characters. Can’t forget my dear Zathras Tim Choate —— (Nobody listens to Zathras) —– who passed away at the age of 49 in 2004. That whole time rift storyline was one of my favorites. And yes, I know it’s been said a million times, but I have to wonder what the series would have been visually had it had the budget and FX that stories have today. But I guess it’s just a testament to how strong the story, how interesting the character development that we all watched it in spite of its budgetary limitations — that so many of have become die-hard fans. Thanks MJS. RIP Mr. Garibaldi.

11. GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

RIP, Mr. Doyle!
    “Fasten zip, or zip fasten?”

12. NRQ says:

R.I.P. Jerry Doyle. You (and Garibaldi) will be missed.

13. George says:

Rest in peace, Mr. Doyle. Thanks for the entertainment; I liked Garibaldi. And he went through so much on that show.

Condolences to Mr. Doyle’s family.