Hillary Clinton Says 'America Is at a Moment of Reckoning' in Democratic Convention Speech — Grade It

Hillary Clinton on Thursday night gave the most important speech of her long career in public service and politics — but did her remarks at the Democratic National Convention sway your vote?

“America is once again at a moment of reckoning. Powerful forces are threatening to pull us apart. Bonds of trust and respect are fraying,” said Clinton. “And just as with our founders there are no guarantees. It truly is up to us. We have to decide whether we will all work together so we can all rise together.”

Below, some excerpts of Clinton’s most memorable quotes from the speech:

* “My mother Dorothy was abandoned by her parents as a young girl. She ended up on her own at 14, working as a house maid. She was saved by the kindness of others… She made sure I learned the words of our Methodist faith: ‘Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.'”

* “I sweat the details of policy – whether we’re talking about the exact level of lead in the drinking water in Flint, Michigan, the number of mental health facilities in Iowa, or the cost of your prescription drugs. Because it’s not just a detail if it’s your kid, if it’s your family. It’s a big deal. And it should be a big deal to your president, too.”

* “I will be a President for Democrats, Republicans, Independents. For the struggling, the striving, the successful. For all those who vote for me and for those who don’t. For all Americans together!”

* “My primary mission as President will be to create more opportunity and more good jobs with rising wages right here in the United States… From my first day in office to my last! Especially in places that for too long have been left out and left behind. From our inner cities to our small towns, from Indian Country to Coal Country. From communities ravaged by addiction to regions hollowed out by plant closures. And here’s what I believe. I believe America thrives when the middle class thrives. I believe that our economy isn’t working the way it should because our democracy isn’t working the way it should. That’s why we need to appoint Supreme Court justices who will get money out of politics and expand voting rights, not restrict them. And, if necessary, we will pass a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United!”

* “It’s wrong to take tax breaks with one hand and give out pink slips with the other. And I believe Wall Street can never, ever be allowed to wreck Main Street again. And I believe in science. I believe that climate change is real and that we can save our planet while creating millions of good-paying clean energy jobs.”

* “I believe that when we have millions of hard-working immigrants contributing to our economy, it would be self-defeating and inhumane to try to kick them out. Comprehensive immigration reform will grow our economy and keep families together – and it’s the right thing to do. So, whatever party you belong to, or if you belong to no party at all, if you share these beliefs, this is your campaign. If you believe that companies should share profits with their workers, not pad executive bonuses, join us. If you believe the minimum wage should be a living wage… and no one working full time should have to raise their children in poverty… join us. If you believe that every man, woman, and child in America has the right to affordable health care… join us. If you believe that we should say ‘no’ to unfair trade deals… that we should stand up to China… that we should support our steel workers and auto workers and homegrown manufacturers… then, join us. If you believe we should expand Social Security and protect a woman’s right to make her own health care decisions… then join us. And yes, yes, if you believe that your working mother, wife, sister, or daughter deserves equal pay… join us!”

* “Bernie Sanders and I will work together to make college tuition free for the middle class and debt-free for all! We will also liberate millions of people who already have student debt. It’s just not right that Donald Trump can ignore his debts, but students and families can’t refinance their debts. And here’s something we don’t say often enough: College is crucial, but a four-year degree should not be the only path to a good job. We will help more people learn a skill or practice a trade and make a good living doing it. We will give small businesses like my dad’s a boost. Make it easier to get credit. Way too many dreams die in the parking lots of banks. In America, if you can dream it, you should be able to build it. We will help you balance family and work. And you know what, if fighting for affordable child care and paid family leave is playing the ‘woman card,’ then Deal Me In!”

* “We’re not only going to make all these investments, we’re going to pay for every single one of them. And here’s how: Wall Street, corporations, and the super-rich are going to start paying their fair share of taxes. This is not because we resent success. Because when more than 90% of the gains have gone to the top 1%, that’s where the money is.”

* “[Trump] talks a big game about putting America First. Well, please explain what part of America First leads him to make Trump ties in China, not Colorado; Trump suits in Mexico, not Michigan; Trump furniture in Turkey, not Ohio; Trump picture frames in India, not Wisconsin. Donald Trump says he wants to make America great again – well, he could start by actually making things in America again.”

* “Donald Trump says, and this is a quote, ‘I know more about ISIS than the generals do….’ No, Donald, you don’t. He thinks that he knows more than our military because he claimed our armed forces are a disaster. Well, I’ve had the privilege to work closely with our troops and our veterans for many years, including as a Senator on the Armed Services Committee. I know how wrong he is. Our military is a national treasure.”

* “Ask yourself: Do you really think Donald Trump has the temperament to be Commander-in-Chief? Donald Trump can’t even handle the rough-and-tumble of a presidential campaign. He loses his cool at the slightest provocation. When he’s gotten a tough question from a reporter. When he’s challenged in a debate. When he sees a protestor at a rally. Imagine, if you dare… imagine him in the Oval Office facing a real crisis: A man you can bait with a Tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons.”

* “We can’t afford to have a President who’s in the pocket of the gun lobby. I’m not here to repeal the Second Amendment. I’m not here to take away your guns. I just don’t want you to be shot by someone who shouldn’t have a gun in the first place.”

* “Let’s put ourselves in the shoes of young black and Latino men and women who face the effects of systemic racism, and are made to feel like their lives are disposable. Let’s put ourselves in the shoes of police officers, kissing their kids and spouses goodbye every day and heading off to do a dangerous and necessary job. We will reform our criminal justice system from end-to-end, and rebuild trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.”

What did you think of Hillary Clinton’s DNC speech? Grade it in our poll below, then sound off in the comments! (We’ll add video as soon as it’s available!)

1. Hellenic78 says:

That screen cap says it all. Two scary candidates. Then they wonder why people are so disenfranchised.

• Simon Jester says:

I think you mean disenchanted. No matter how much you dislike the candidates, that doesn’t make you “disenfranchised” (deprived of rights or power).

• The Annoyed Elephant says:

Considering that most people feel that their only options are two terrible options, I think disenfranchised works just fine.

Fortunately, there is a third option.

• Mary says:

No sorry there isn’t. It is a wasted vote period but if it makes you feel better go for it. I am voting for the Justice seat and there is no way I want Trump
          and especially Pence to have the pick. It is that simple for me.

• carbus says:

Hopefully we have learned from Al Gore’s defeat in 2000, what the third option really is — it’s giving the election to the republicans. In 2008 when HiIlary lost the nomination to Barack Obama, did HiIlary supporters go to a third party? No, because we remembered 2000. Even Bernie Sanders is saying this.

• Hellenic78 says:

Yes that;s what I was saying. Unfortunately the way the system is in this country there is not a viable third option. But many of us in good conciense can’t vote for either of them.

2. Nick says:

I liked it but it wasn’t as good as a lot of other speeches(both Obamas, Bill’s, & even Kaine’s).

3. D says:

A clown or a liar, what a choice, one talks out of his @$$ and throws insults, the other make bad decisions and can’t tell the truth

• David4 says:

To be fair who knows in Clinton is a liar, did you see her during the speech? Maybe she is just crazy and actually believes what she says?

• dan says:

And neither fit to be in charge of the military.

• Jennifer says:

I have to laugh at people who constantly call out Hillary as a liar. ALL OF THEM LIE!!!! Some way more than others….. I’m sorry, but Trump lies a heck of a lot more than Hillary

• D says:

Come on they both suck, Everything she say’s is a lie she flip flops around on everything, E-mails, Benghazi, white water scandal, Bill’s cheating etc… Trump would look less like an idiot if he lied more unfortunately he speaks his mind which is full of sh… crap.

#wearescrewed2016

• Art says:

Better yet, #whichwaytothegreenparty

• Katherine215 says:

The green party can’t find its car keys in 4 years, let alone run a country like the United States for that long.

• Mary says:

Nothing would make Trump look less like an idiot period. There is a difference between speaking your mind and coming off like a raving lunatic.
          Trump was bad enough but having Pence as VP is even worst. I want our Country to move forward not backwards. So for me the decision is easy I’m with her.

• para says:

I’m with her too! Hillary is no Bernie sure she is going to respect Bernie’s vision and work with him a lot more than Donald will ever. They moved the platform so much to the left because they heard it from the people. it’s our job to As for Jill Stein… I am sorry but she is not a commander in chef. She is an activist.

• Cat says:

There are two things that Americans seem to forget when it comes to Hillary’s to greatest ‘crimes’. Firstly in regards to using the private email server, if people actually listened to results of the first investigation, it was found that several previous Secretaries of State had used private servers and yet now people solely focus on Hillary. Secondly, in regards to Bengazi, while yes a tragedy, during the Bush administration multiple embassies were attacked and multiple people died yet no investigation was ever conducted for those while Hillary has been investigated multiple times by both parties and has in all cases been found not responsible. I am not American nor have I ever been to America but we do get American news channels where I live and I pay attention.

• Lobo verde says:

Dont be stupid, be smart

4. David4 says:

We are in a moment of reckoning and we most choose if we want to go with Stalin or Hilter!

5. Lobo verde says:

Usa,need a person like her to president,we dont want a clown like republican man (sorry,i forget the name the stupid),and the people to be more smart,just,we have two options,to be smarts,we can do it toguether, we are strong.

• Matt says:

Wow, @Lobo verde — I’m pretty sure that the new ‘wall’ is making you nervous. You sound ignorant. English, as a second language, is no excuse for sounding like a moron. Dude, unless you’re registered to vote illegally, you’re not voting — so, zip it!

P.S. No one wants to hear your opinionconcening how OUR cou try is governed.

6. Randy says:

Especially at the beginning, we were so bored we began compiling a list of other famous white suit wearers (Col. Sanders, Boss Hogg, and the guy from Fantasy Island).

To be fair, I was bored with Donny’s speech as well.

• Mary says:

You must get bored easily don’t you. Maybe that is the problem with society today they all want to be entertain instead of really listen to the candidates.

7. Jackie says:

I thought it was great!
    It bothers me when political pundits criticize her for not being warm enough or charismatic enough. Jeesh, I get she’s not Obama or Bill, but certainly better than the Bushs’, or any number of men who went before. ‘She’s a work horse, not a show horse.’ And a fighter. #Imwithher

• SG says:

And a liar.

• Katherine215 says:

She is actually fundamentally honest. Do a little research instead of blindly swallowing Republican propaganda.

• D says:

LOL you are so delusional, EVERYONE knows she is a habitual liar that you can’t trust a word she says, I find it ironic that you said do a little research because you really should do some yourself. She lies more often then tells the truth

• Andrea says:

I wouldn’t say that Hillary’s a liar, but I think she does things that are politically expedient. In that moment, she may believe what she’s saying, but she’ll do something else in the next moment if it suits her. I realize that all politicians do that to a degree, but she seems to do it a lot. She was the First Lady of Arkansas, but her Senate seat came from NY. She stayed with Bill even after his infidelities because it would politically benefit her. She lost to President Obama, but she’d absolutely be his Secretary of State. When she gets in hot water (like Bengazi), she gets flip (What does it matter to Congress) or the e-mails (Did you wipe the server with a cloth?) I like Barack Obama and Joe Biden a lot, but at times they seemed ineffective to me. The difference to me is that, while I believe both men could be ineffective, I believe they genuinely mean what they say. They might not be able to do it, but I believe they mean it whether it will benefit them or not. I don’t get the sense that Hillary means anything for any length of time. (The exception to that being love for Chelsea and her grandkids.) However, I can’t say the same about her feelings for Bill.

• Katherine215 says:

Sorry, not delusional, just able to read and think for myself. You should try it sometime, it’s incredible what you can learn when you see something other that the malarkey Fox News and the Republicans feed you.

• Jane says:

There are also plenty of fact checking sites that will do the work for you. Politifact shows 73% of what Hillary says is half true or higher, vs 31% for Trump.

• SG says:

If you think anything about Hillary Clinton is fundamentally honest, I’ve got some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you, I’m more liberal than most here, and think trump is a joke, but make no mistake, Hillary Clinton is absolutely a liar.

• Anne says:

Like she said tonight, she’s struggles with the ‘public’ part of Public Service, and the service part is what she excels at
      #imwithher

• Mary says:

I look at it as Trump is for show, Clinton is for substance. Who would you want leading the Country. I will take substance any day.

8. SG says:

Never will I vote for Hillary Clinton. She is too corrupt. #JillNotHill

• Anne says:

Then say hello to a Trump America. A vote not for Hillary is a vote for Trump

• SG says:

Then so be it. The DNC made their mess of a bed and they can sleep in it. I won’t compromise my conscious by voting for a warmonger in the pockets of the rich elites, who won via a stacked deck primary.

• Whatevah says:

How is Hillary corrupt?

• Mary says:

Nope sorry Jill needs to stick to medicine and leave the rest to experience knowledgeable people.

• carbus says:

How is Hillary corrupt? She is the smartest, most hard-working person in the room. And she has been a target of the republicans for 30 years now and keeps on going. I admire that. ImWithHer

9. D says:

OMG! I missed her daughters intro, just caught it on replay, that sucking noise/smacking/whatever it was HORRIBLE and made it hard to listen to her. Did she not practice? Did no one tell her? someone needs to be fired… might make a good drinking game but would get too drunk too fast

• Mary says:

I thought she did fine for not being a public speaker. She humanize her Mother way better than the other side but I guess that is because Hillary was present for her where
      Donald left it to the Women at home.

10. Anne says:

It was a wonderful speech!! So full of hope and optimism and coming from someone so overwhelmingly qualified for the job. It was inspiring. She showed humility, confidence, charm, fierceness, and was highly professional.

11. Derision says:

The first woman nominated for US president was Victoria Woodhull

• Chrippy says:

But Hill is the first female Democratic nominee.

Are you trying to contradict something in the article or are you just showing off?

• Joey says:

The Equal Rights Party was not a major political party.

• Rose says:

There have been other women nominated, but Hillary is the first woman nominee from a MAJOR political party. The first woman to be taken seriously as a candidate, an the first woman with the experience to be President, unlike her opponent.

12. HilarySupporter16 says:

I thought she was amazing! I love her message of hope and strength. I can’t wait to have a woman president and have her change the world with just her being the most POWERFUL human being on earth. God Bless.

13. cuius says:

Be helpful if these politicians just numbered their off-repeated cliches, and sent out the speech as a series of numbers in a tweet – would have saved an hour of everybody’s time.

So it finally comes down to the rock and a hard place choice .- God bless America – you’ll need it

14. Bark Star says:

It does no longer matter wether you like Hillary or not, wether you approve of her or not, disagree with her, think she is a lair or dont like her politics. None of it matters. You HAVE to vote for her. Because now it is your duty to america, to the WORLD to ensure that Trump does not become president. America, prove to the rest of the world that you are not the illiterate idiots most people think you to be. We will be watching !

• RedinNJ says:

Wow. How about you just worry about you and let us worry about us. By the way, America is not a two party system. We only end up candidates elected from one of two because they did a bang up job of convincing the electorate that a vote for anyone other than those two is a waste. If everyone that wasn’t happy with choice A or B got their heads out their rears and voted for option C, D, E, etc….we might not be saddled with either evil.

And while “the rest of the world” Is worrying over Trump (who I don’t like, either, btw) perhaps they can take a little time to look more closely at Hilary and realize she really *isn’t* a safer or better choice.

• Mary says:

The fact is a vote for them is a waste, like it or not. I have looked at some of their policies and both are weak on foreign affairs. I may be old school but I don’t agree with their stance on legalizing pot. One of the reason I wasn’t for Bernie and Jill seems to be on the same page is about free college education. I do think it should be affordable but not free. Jill reminds me of Ben Carson they should stick to what they know best medicine.

• RedinNJ says:

And now Hilary has added free college to her list of promises. ;) It’s not ever free. It’s tax payer funded which means increases in what leaves my wallet one way or another – a double hit if my kid opts to attend a private school and not one of the free state options.

I haven’t dug deep yet. I just think assuming the only choice is to settle is not a good assumption to make.

• Mary says:

I don’t look at it as settling. I look at the bigger picture. I agree there needs to be changes in the system, for one term in Congress but will never see it happen. If these third parties are serious they should start at the local and State level, going for the top office is nothing more than grand standing and taking votes away. They accomplish nothing except to help the other party win. I pick the candidate who I feel will help the Country the most and is closest to my beliefs. This year my vote will be for the Justice seat and Republicans should never have the say of that. I want to go forward not backwards.

• carbus says:

Remember the 2000 election

15. The Annoyed Elephant says:

What point have we gotten to in this country where we look at where we are and seriously say to ourselves, “we need an ethically challenged septuagenarian cuckolded career politician to save us”?

16. Nikki says:

I can’t help but to laugh at “Hillary is a flip-flopper! Vote for Trump”. Trump flipped parties; he was a Democrat who flipped to Republican.

Also, “Hillary has a cheating husband”. Trump is a cheating husband.

She did great. #I’mWithHer

17. Rose says:

Compared to Trump’s diatribe of an acceptance speech and his ridiculous claim that “I alone can fix it,” it was hopeful, inclusive, and pretty darn inspiring. No matter what you think of her, give her respect for having determination, guts, and awareness of the realities of politics and the Presidency. Trump has absolutely no clue.

18. brandydanforth81 says:

It go get her speech was great and so was the use of ” myFight Song” at the start and ” Firework at the end.Imwith Hilary.Heavdn help and save us if Trump wins.

19. meg says:

Hillary’s speech was good, but frankly I was impressed by the number of average citizens who stood up before millions of people to tell their stories how Hillary helped them. First responders, single women, children, disabled, veterans and their families came up and stated how their lives were better by knowing Hillary and what she did for them over decades. Donald had his children saying nice things who are waiting for their inheritance. Everyone else for Donald was basically against Hillary and really had no good words to say about the man.

20. Charles A Benton says:

“I believe that our economy isn’t working the way it should because our democracy isn’t working the way it should.” -Hillary Clinton.

No Hillary, our “Republic” is not working the was it should and was intended to work. There is no rule of law. We are NOT a democracy. We never were, nor were we ever intended to be a democracy. If we are a democracy, the Republic is dead!

• Mary says:

I totally disagree with you and maybe that is why the Republican party is almost dead.
      Time evolves and things change, but for some reason the Republican party wants to stay in the 1800. Democracy stands up for ALL citizens not the select few who you deem worthy. It isn’t working because we have a few who refuse to change.

21. HAP says:

There is no one more resilient in politics than Hillary. She has been attacked constantly since she was First Lady in Arkansas. It has been said of her that she has been knocked down 20 times and has gotten back up 21.

22. suresh gupta says:

superb speech,outstanding three days of convention and real eye opener. Trump does not trust american people being able to fix their problem only he can fix it.
    Trumps total premis will make america great again , all the gas is out of this slogan, america is already great period.
    He said US military is a disaster, I salute our military being the envy of the world and our savior. We need to respect our military .

23. Susan Jones says:

This lady is the only person who can lead America to a better a place , with care comfort and intelligence , OK , you only remember her mistakes , try to remember your and how you became stronger learning from them, running a country isn’t like baking a cake , Hilary has far to many ingredients to juggle with, and it’s not a perfect science , stop falling backwards , look forward to a strong leader …….. Don’t behave like sheep , follow your own gut feeling is it a wall or is it freedom Susan 🌎📚🎓👨‍👩‍👧‍👦