Comic-Con

Bob's Burgers Cast Teases Gilmore Girls 'Crossover,' Gene's Coming Out?

Bob’s Burgers is adding a special Gilmore Girls shout-out to the Season 7 menu.

The cast of Fox’s animated comedy announced the pseudo cameo over the weekend when when they stopped by TVLine’s Comic-Con studio, presented by ZTE, for their annual interview with yours truly. “[Gilmore Girls] is mentioned on the show,” series creator Loren Bouchard reveals. “Teddy’s on his back and he says, ‘How about a bedtime story?’ And Gene says… ” (Sorry, you have to watch the video above to find out what Gene says.)

Speaking of Bob and Linda’s possibly-gay middle kid, the Bob’s crew weighs in on whether this is the season the 11-year-old bursts out of the closet (spoiler: don’t hold your breath). The typically raucous Q&A also finds cast member Kristen Schaal setting the record straight about her own sexual leanings (“I kissed a girl once, but I never touched her boobs,” she confesses). Team BB also finds time to squeeze in a little Season 7 casting nugget (hint: a wildly popular late-night personality will be dropping in).

Press PLAY on the video above, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. florianques says:

That interview was just pure fun, fingers crossed for more videos like these Michael!

2. Steven says:

My headcannon is that Gene is gay. I’d love for him to come out, but I feel like that would be too serious for Bob’s Burgers.

3. Spence says:

There’s no need for Gene to come out. Part of the true beauty of the show is that each of their kids- especially Gene- are diverse and “quirky” with no explanation or judgment to it. Gene in particular is a great character to showcase that a young boy can be feminine and artistic without his sexuality being a priority. Gene is amazing as ambiguous as he is, and an amazing way to show other young boys that they can hate sports and admire women without their sexual orientation being brought into it.

4. Dick Whitman says:

I love this cast. I love this show. I loves this video. We need more like these outside SDCC, maybe Michael visiting the sets to get as many actors from the show in question or something.

5. Angelo says:

I’m so upset these videos don’t have captions. I want to know what they say, and you say watch the video, but I can’t hear them.

6. Haylscat says:

Please watch Steven Universe if you want the best LGBT representation in a cartoon. Also, its amazing.

7. Ronnie says:

I look forward to the Bob’s Burgers Comic-Con video every year; they never let me down!

8. Big Red says:

This show’s so punny, you know they’d do it just to title the episode ‘Gay Gene.’

9. Ttm says:

Gene is a beautiful genderfluid kid and theres really no reason for him to come out as anything… It actually would be a bit of a detriment tbh.

Suddenly its ‘Gene wants to shave his legs or take about their periods lining up because hes *insert sexuality here’ when it very much just Gene being Gene and is having fun with his family. Giving him a label just starts to make his actions a sterotype

10. Stephen Houmard says:

What’s with all the gay talk? Get over it…2% of the population…Is it a Gay Chanel and Gay Show?