Beaches Remake Idina Menzel

Beaches Remake Set at Lifetime, With Idina Menzel in Bette Midler Role

Is it too early to pre-order the soundtrack?

Lifetime has just greenlighted a modern-day remake of the beloved tearjerker Beaches starring Idina Menzel in Bette Midler’s former role, our sister site Deadline reports.

Not only will the Tony-winning Glee alumna tackle the 1988 movie’s “Wind Beneath My Wings” and “The Glory of Love,” but she’ll also record some new songs for the update.

Sadly, the news comes just a week after the original movie’s director, Garry Marshall passed away at age 81. Beaches 2.0 will be helmed by Allison Anders (Ring of Fire).

Now, the question is, if Menzel is CC, who do you pick to take Barbara Hershey’s place as (spoiler alert) ill-fated Hillary? Hit the comments.

1. Ian says:

*SCREAMS HEAD OFF*
    Just sucks its on Lifetime.

2. Chris says:

I wish someone would “let it go” on all these remakes. Why can’t they just digitally remaster and re-air these tv shows/movies so current generations can enjoy them as they were originally intended but not look outdated due to the technological limits that they had back then?

3. matty says:

I love India and all, but I’m not sure she has the personality to play CC Bloom. It is kind of a specific character and Midler brought a specific energy to it.

4. Jennifer says:

I am so sick of all the remakes. Idina is overrated. She was perfect for Rent and Wicked, but I haven’t liked anything else since. She is not “big” enough (Personality wise) to play CC Bloom. Big pass for me.

5. sntindall says:

Idina is fine but also not the worlds best singer. I think I’ll pass on this.

6. MMD says:

I truly wish that movie studios/tv channels (especially Lifetime) would PLEASE stop ruining classic movies. It is simply impossible to capture magic twice. It was hard enough to do it the first time, that’s why so many movies/shows fail.

7. Jennifer says:

I am a huge fan of both and so I’m excited! Remakes are often unnecessary and/or pale in comparison. However, that isn’t always the case. So, I choose to be optimistic and wish Idina the best. Anyway, regardless of how it turns out, it’s not going to detract from the original.

8. readenreply says:

They’ll never match the magic casting that was Mayim Bialik as young CC and Bette Midler as adult CC.

9. David says:

If she doesn’t sing Otto VonTitsling it’ll be a real travesty…