Last Tycoon Series Order

Matt Bomer's The Last Tycoon Gets Series Order at Amazon

You have not seen the last of The Last Tycoon.

Amazon has ordered the Matt Bomer-fronted pilot to series, our sister site Deadline reports, some six weeks after the pilot was offered for consumer review on the streaming site.

A Great Depression-era drama adapted from the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, The Last Tycoon stars Bomer (White Collar) as a Hollywood golden boy battling his father figure and boss (played by four-time Emmy winner Kelsey Grammer) for the soul of their studio; Lily Collins (The Blind Side) co-stars.

Meanwhile, Deadline hears, The Interestings — whose pilot also premiered on June 17, with a cast that included Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under), David Krumholtz (Numb3rs) and  Jessica Pare (Mad Men) — will not be going to series.

Amazon’s next batch of pilots-for-preview — including The Tick, plus series starring Kevin Bacon and Jean-Claude Van Damme — will hit the service on Aug. 19.

1. ekolint48 says:

I quite liked the pilot. Although, I feel they could tone down Lily’s characters desperation to be with Bomer a bit. And I hope they handle that last little twist with Bomer’s character in a way that doesn’t turn too soapy. I look forward to seeing the Tick.

2. opus says:

Excellent!!! I really enjoyed the episodes and Bomer is perfectly cast. If you have Amazon Prime, I urge you to watch The Last Tycoon.

3. dq18 says:

I’m glad to see this has an opportunity to find its footing. The pilot was a little all over the place, but I genuinely think it was trying to plant enough seeds to interest a broad range of viewers with the small amount of time a pilot allows. Hopefully now they can focus in on some big points and get a smooth storyline or two down that flow well.

I tried to watch The Interestings. Honestly I got sleepy partially through it and it was never interesting enough for me to turn back on. Such a shame, I liked a lot of the cast but I just couldn’t get it’s vibe.

4. HAP says:

I.m not surprised about the decision on The Interestings. The pilot was disappointing to me, especially as a big fan of Lauren Ambrose.

5. nerdrage says:

Amazon seems to be following the results of the voting on their site. The Last Tycoon was a definite yes. The Interestings got decent scores too but not as high and maybe it’s an either/or situation.

Objectively The Interestings was the better show but frankly I’d probably put it in my queue and never get around to it because there’s nothing totally compelling about it and the premise is sort of annoying. The Last Tycoon really hit a nerve with Matt Bomer’s noisy fanbase, and as stiff and preachy as it might be, it would be a fun guilty-pleasure watch.

Hope Lauren Ambrose, David Krumholtz and Matt Barr get other shows soon. Would like to see all of them in something.

6. Lala says:

Yay…I enjoyed The Last Tycoon.

7. Andrea says:

I’m very happy about this. I thought The Last Tycoon was very interesting, and I wanted more. With The Interestings, I felt variants of it had been done before.

8. Andrea says:

I’m very happy about this. I love Matt Bomer, and I wanted to see more after the pilot. I thought the thread about the Nazi influence in American film of that era was a piece of history that I didn’t know anything about. The Interestings felt like it had been done before, in one form or another.

• Andrea says:

Matt, has Amazon made a decision about where The Last Tycoon will land? Is it going to start out on Prime Video or be in Amazon’s non-Prime rotation where anyone can buy it and then get kicked onto Prime? I used my Prime Free Trial to watch the pilot, but I will seriously consider buying a Prime Video subscription if that’s where The Last Tycoon ends up.

9. abz says:

I’m glad he’s found a new role. I haven’t been able to watch the pilot just yet, but I’ll definitely check out the show now that it got a series order. Matt Bomer is definitely one actor that I’ll watch pretty much anything he’s in.
    I do hope he gets a better role on American Horror Story this time around though. He’s amazing in any role he does, but he was definitely underused in Hotel.

10. Skiwitch says:

So happy for this news. Looking forward to the next episodes.

11. Cat says:

Great news! I loved the pilot.

12. amy says:

I haven’t actually seen the pilot sense I don’t have Amazon Prime, but I still say that any show with Matt Bomer in a suit is a good show

• helen says:

just go into your amazon account and click on amazon video…it’s free for all to watch and a permanent item in your video library

13. Very happy about this. I liked the pilot and look forward to more

14. Marie says:

I’m not sure How to feel about this. The pilot of The Last Tycoon felt a little…off, to me. It’s like they tried to make Bomer’s character into the typical tragic romantic hero (much like all the heroes in the movies of the Hollywood Golden Age of Cinema), but also tried to make his character more complex, with hidden dark depths. The problem is that the two are complete opposites. You can’t have a charming debonair widower also be a dark, angry-at-the-world, dead-inside anti-hero. I pity the widower. I am fond of the charming, debonair, successful man. But the dark, angry-at-the-world, dead-inside anti-hero sort of destroys all of that and fills me with dread.

15. Sandra says:

When will we see series 2 for The Last Tycoon ?