Kristen Bell, Darren Criss, 'Cagney & Lacey' and More Pay Musical Tribute to Victims of Gun Violence at DNC

“What the World Needs Now Is Love,” that’s for sure. But who knew it also needed a powwow of stars from Cagney & Lacey, Veronica Mars, Ugly Betty, The Mysteries of Laura, My So Called Life, Private Practice, Glee and Law & Order: SVU (among others)?

Stars from those TV shows and the Broadway community teamed up to cover that Burt Bacharach chestnut on the Democratic National Convention stage “in tribute to the lives affected by gun violence.”

The pass-the-mic-(and-do-it-quickly) staging was a tad puzzling — surely Hillary Clinton’s party has deep enough pockets to cover adequate audio feeds, no? — but the eclectic and enthusiastic nature of the performance made it enjoyable nonetheless.

Among those belting/warbling for a cause: Idina Menzel (Glee), Audra McDonald (Private Practice), Brian Stokes Mitchell (Mr. Robot), Darren Criss (Glee), Richard Kind (Spin City), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Tyne Daly (Cagney & Lacey), Sharon Gless(Cagney & Lacey), Wilson Cruz (My So Called Life), Michelle Collins (The View), Michael Urie (Ugly Betty), Ben Vereen (How I Met Your Mother), B.D. Wong (Law & Order: SVU), Rosie Perez (The View) and more.

Watch the performance above, then hit the comments with your thoughts on the number.

1. Tom Hunter says:

When actors that made their names/money in shows/movies featuring guns turn around and complain about gun violence, well, the word hypocrite comes to mind.

• Mike says:

There’s a difference between fantasy and reality. It doesn’t make them hypocrites at all.

• DJ Doena says:

Yes it does. Because it’s celebrating what they’re critiquing. Take Sharon Gless for example. For seven years she starred in Burn Notice and her fictional son was no stranger to violence involving guns. To him this was a neccessity.

For many real people it is, too. They either use their gun only on a range shooting paper targets (which also is only just “fantasy”) or the gun is locked in a safe in the house.

Very few gun owners are RNC nuts who parade their AR-15 in the streets.

• Mary says:

That is questionable considering what I witness at the Republican convention. Mike is correct fantasy is not reality although you would never know it consider Trump got the nomination.

2. Jackie says:

I miss the days when I came to TV Line and could escape politics. I get that you cover it because it’s on TV and involves people on our TVs on a regular basis, but I’m just so tired of seeing it everywhere. On another note, thanks for all the Gilmore scoop today!

3. Mollymoo says:

I’m so of celebrities thinking they owe us their political opinions.

• Mollymoo says:

That was “so tired”

• The sad thing is look how intertwined the two of them are nowadays. Politicians were smart to realize that much of our American culture is centered around celebrities so they started paling around with them too. The worst part has been the Obama admin. being shoved down our throats (Michelle at the Oscars presenting Best Pic several years ago, she was on NCIS, The Voice, Carpool Karaoke and some other show just in the past 6 months “promoting her fitness program” aka living out her Hollywood fantasies). Look at all of the fundraisers that Hilary and democrats have had with celebrities over the past year. I wish the two would just be separate as it is getting extremely overwhelming and we are still over 3 months away from the election.

• Mary says:

Your statement is laughable. The Republican nominee is a TV REALITY CELEBRITY yet you all gave him the nomination. Don’t you think that is definition of hypocrite.

I will let you in on a secret, these celebrities are US CITIZENS and will be voting in the election. They have every right to back their candidate whether you approve or not. This election will effect them just like it will effect you. I am sure your wouldn’t be so upset about it if the other side could of gotten so real celebrities instead of the use to be. But they couldn’t even get notable people in their own party, what does that tell you.

• I didn’t vote for Trump in the primaries, however, he is the Republican nominee and I would vote for him in a heartbeat over Clinton. That being said, I will be voting for Johnson. To your point though, Trump was given $1 million dollars and turned it into a $4 billion empire. Yes, being given a $1 million dollars is a leg up that most people will never have, at least he obviously was savvy enough to figure out how to make a fortune off it. That shows that he has business skills and that is what this country needs. Our government wastes money left and right and is so ineffective in many areas – just look at the VA. His plans to tax business that send jobs overseas, end trade deals that are bad for the US, only support NATO nations that actually live up to their end of the contract all things that need to be done in order to cut costs and boost our economy. Meanwhile, Clinton is bought by Wall Street, Silicon Valley and media/entertainment conglomerates and would do anything to reign them in. Not to mention, she is also a crook who sabotaged & sent spies into Bernie’s campaign, found ways to possibly laundry money to funnel it into her campaign and has taken in several million dollars in “donations” from foreign countries (including Middle Eastern countries that are our enemies) to her foundation and only dispersing less than 20% to the actual charities/victims that they claimed to be collecting the money for (see Haiiti). So, yes, Donald can be an ignorant jackass with his comments, while Hilary says all of the right politicial sentiments. However, actions speak louder than words. if you like the current unrest in Americans (BLM vs. cops, Radical Muslim terrorist attacks at work parties, marathons and night clubs), then, yes, vote for Hilary. If you want the change that Obama promised us 8 years ago then vote for Johnson or Trump. Have a good day!

• Lily says:

Mary, while I do respect your opinion, I don’t think the statement you deemed laughable was off the mark at all. Celebrities who are US citizens and registered voters have every right to voice their opinion. That was never disagreed with. Malls24 seems to be lamenting the focus of media and celebrity in the DNC over a focus on actual issues and substance. I’m a 20-something non-white female with an advanced degree in the sciences. I’m a registered voter who is unaffiliated but whose beliefs are strongly libertarian. Despite my “profile” as the typical Republican, I am voting for Trump because he is by FAR the lesser of the two poor options. I don’t think any of the unofficial “anyone but Hillary” party is upset that vacuous, narcissistic celebrities were not present in excess at the RNC. It really degrades the formality of the conventions. I’m sure you’d agree that the RNC has also experienced press from questionable celebrity appearances in the past.
            As for the part about the party… well, as a woman, nothing was scarier than a Cruz-Hillary election! I’m glad the “notable people” of the GOP (who tend to be the party’s laughing stock anyway, like a Pelosi) stayed away from strongly endorsing Trump. It would have done the candidate no good. And we need all the good we can get in the USA to ensure the next step for the nation is not backwards, particularly in a financial sense. BTW Trump is a business man no matter how you swing it. He only made it to reality TV because of his overall success and charisma. Yes, I’m aware of the bankruptcy and his character. At least he’s not a crook.
            All that said, the musical performance was nice from the isolated clips I saw. You can’t deny the talent present. I only hope that all parties were equally represented.

• Lily says:

Of course, I do apologize, because I meant my profile as the typical Democrat! And yes, I’ve voted for both parties based on the position, issues, and candidates.

• Mollymoo says:

Please. I didn’t give a Trump the nomination. I voted for another candidate even though he had the nomination locked up by the time he got to my state. No one has said celebs don’t have a right to support who they want…I said I am tired of them taking to the airwaves and telling me how I should think. Their tv or movie or music or Broadway career doesn’t make their policital views more valid then mine.

4. yearonear says:

Well, I loved it! So many amazing talents up there singing a beautiful song. Bravo!

5. Alia says:

Okay, these folks need some more mics.

6. Tired of it all says:

Haven’t watched either train wreck of a convention so forgive my ignorance – during this tribute to victims of gun violence, did they honor the officers gunned down as well?

• David4 says:

No, thankfully.

• Wow, what a great response. You’re right, the 11 police officers who were simply doing their jobs and not even involved in any of the BLM related shootings that have been executed since Ferguson in retaliatory killings by black men shouldn’t be acknowledged. We should just continue to protest, destroy property and cities, interfere with traffic, airport operations, etc. while verbally and physically attacking police officers across the country for the CRIMINALS that have been killed by cops. Makes sense. This country is going to hell in a handbasket. Good thing Hilary and the DNC invited the mothers of said criminals to the convention to discuss gun and police violence though. Great leadership on their part and a great way to ease tensions across the country.

• Tired of it all says:

Why not, David? Weren’t the officers slaughtered in The Dallas ambush victims of gun violence? We shouldn’t pick and choose whose murder counts for political outrage.

• Jane says:

Yes they did. It was about ALL victims of gun violence, civilians and law enforcement. Several police officers and military personnel spoke in addition to civilians.

• Tired of it all says:

Thank you for clarifying, Jane. I can’t stomach either candidate or convention this year. I only know what happens in the convention from news recaps.

• I don’t blame you, but as you are probably aware, you shouldn’t believe anything you read or hear unless it is from BBC or a non-American news source. Unfortunately, all of our news media here is bought and paid for.

• Tired of it all says:

Malls24 – I’m actually a former freelance journalist. I wrote for local papers and national magazines. ANY media outlet has bias the moment the reporter is given a word count (or when I started, a column inch allotment.) You have to make choices about what fits into your given space and what doesn’t. I don’t care if you’re the BBC or any other non-American news outlet – still not unbiased or worth taken at face value. The best thing to do, quite frankly, is to never, ever limit yourself to one outlet. When I want information, I read and/or watch a number of different media for my own balanced view. By taking in a bit from here and some from there, and a story from that place and another from this one, I can figure out what happened. If i go to just one, well it’s a mess.

• Jennifer says:

Did they have the officer’s families at the convention? No? Shocking.

7. Bruce Wayne says:

Once again proving how actors are among the most stupid of people in our society.

8. John Wayne Peel says:

I could watch it ALL NIGHT LONG! What a FANTASTIC tribute to the victims of Orlando’s Pulse! And with CAGNEY AND LACEY to boot. Jackie DeShannon would be PROUD!