degrassi-iconic-moments

Degrassi's 20 Most Iconic Moments, Ranked

From its birth on TeenNick to its rebirth on Netflix, Degrassi has been going “there” for more than 15 years — and now, so are we.

In honor of the franchise’s 500th episode — now available to stream as part of Degrassi: Next Class‘ second season — we’re revisiting its most iconic storylines, counting down 20 moments even more memorable than Heather Sinclair’s bargain basement nose job. Whether they made us laugh or cry, all of these unforgettable twists made us wish we were lucky enough to attend Degrassi Community School. (And, you know, that it was real.)

It wasn’t an easy task, but after a few sleepless nights of binging — including all of those bizarrely wonderful minis — the list was finalized. I mean, whatever it takes, right? (Cue the Degrassi theme.)

This Degrassi aficionado grew up when Drake was still known as Aubrey Graham, rapping “shut up girl and make my lunch,” so this list tends to lean toward the ’00s episodes. But don’t let that stop you from downloading some Downtown Sasquatch (or Zit Remedy if you’re old school!) and reminiscing about your favorite moments.

Click through our gallery of iconic moments below, then hit the comments section with your own list. And remember: When in doubt, you kiss Craig.

1. Wee says:

I agree with this list. I remember taping #1 and crying with my sister about it.

2. ggny says:

Still waiting for Netflix to add every episode in the US.

3. Jill says:

Head to detention hall, Cam was not the first Degrassi student to commit suicide at school! Poor Claude, rejected by Caitlin and forgotten by tvline.

4. Aha says:

I always remembered the moment where Darcy dramatically cut her hair after threatening to commit suicide.

5. I was watching one of the latest episode. How Maya and Peter. Stone don’t know each other. Didn’t he date her sister. Kate.

6. Ally Oop says:

I remember watching Degrassi Junior High as a little kid with my babysitter. It was such a shocker when Spike got pregnant at 13–I think that’s a definite top event on the show for me. I’m 33 so while the original Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High series aired from 1987 to 1991 when I was aged 4 to 8 and the Degrassi: The Next Gen/Degrassi/Degrassi: Next Class aired from 2001 onwards after I had graduated high school, my generation kind of got skipped but as a teen I enjoyed the books and I grew up a fan.

7. I been watching from the beginn. And still watching it i was 17 when it first came and still enjoy it todsy.

8. Lindsay says:

Let’s get one thing straight………Degrassi was not ‘birthed’ on TeenNick. It started on CTV in Canada.

• Miranda says:

THANK YOU! It’s like we don’t even exist. They’re are good quality Canadian series’ out there, and you can give credit where it is due.

9. Anna says:

Man, I remember feeling so traumatized by a number of these as a kid/teen – especially Rick shooting Jimmy, JT’s murder, and Paige’s rape.
    Also, I may be the only viewer that wanted Claire to end up with Drew instead of Eli…

10. comictrance says:

I have started from season 1 multiple times, all the way through the second Netflix season. Obsessed.