Comic-Con

Team Arrow Previews 'The End of a Chapter,' Oliver's Reaction to a Harsh Truth, Felicity's New (Marked?!) Man

If Felicity Smoak’s new boyfriend happens to be reading this, lean in and listen closely, dude: RUN.

Because when the cast of The CW’s Arrow visited Michael Ausiello at TVLine’s Comic-Con studio presented by ZTE, it sounded as if a “wayward” projectile might have your name on it.

“We meet him in Episode 1, he dies in Act IV,” series lead Stephen Amell joked of the new man in Miss Smoak’s life. But in actuality, Felicity has taken quite a quick shine to her new beau (in part because she seems to have no pals outside of Curtis, Emily Bett Rickards playfully reminds showrunner Wendy Mericle!)

Kicking off the video Q&A above, Amell previewed “the end of a chapter” — though not the end of the series — seeing as Oliver Queen’s post-island mission has always been to “make Star City a better place.”

Other topics on tap include the effect The Flash‘s Flashpoint storyline has on its sister series (“It has a big impact on the characters it does have an impact on,” teased Mericle), and how John Barrowman plans to juggle multiple versions of Malcolm Merlyn, per his new deal across all the CW superhero shows.

1. AMB says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! The denial in the Olicity fandom has just taken a hit.

• It’s called a roadblock. Though I kind of hoped the love triangle trope had died. The show doesn’t do it well. I give you season 1. And 2. And S3.

• datdudemurphy says:

Seasons 1 and 2 were the best seasons of the show…

• Depends on what you like about the show. If you love Lauriver, then yes, those would be the best seasons for you. Literally the only change from those seasons to 3 and 4.

• datdudemurphy says:

The better villains, the better story, the smaller group.

“Olicity” was still not a thing….so the two characters were still likable.

Better all around.

• Yeah, that second statement tells me all I need to know about why you liked it better…

• datdudemurphy says:

because it was a far more entertaining show?
            yeah, I agree

• No, because Felicity wasn’t the love interest. Thank you for playing.

• datdudemurphy says:

You didn’t notice the better story that season? Deathstroke?
            You should rewatch it, you missed out.

• All I’m telling you is that it wasn’t a better love story. In fact, it was worse. The only difference villain-wise is that you couldn’t be bothered with Damian Darkh when there was Felicity to sling mud at.

• datdudemurphy says:

I don’t watch for a love story….Katie was an awful actress, she had zero chemistry with anyone on the show.
            Damian Darhk was kind of amusing in way similar to the Mayor from BtVS, but it dragged on too long and the “threat” was far too big for a show that should be more grounded, such as Arrow.
            Season 3 had a lot of potential with Ra’s and Nyssa. It was better than season 4, but that’s really not saying too much. This is also the season that the flashbacks really started getting tedious, at least to me.

I’ve not got anything against Emily, she can be pretty entertaining….I’m terribly sorry that a relationship is all you watch the show for.

I assure you, that there are other aspects of the show to enjoy.

• Just because I’m defending the ‘ship doesn’t mean it’s all I watch for, but thank you for showing me that you’ve mastered the art of making a snap judgement. :P I happen to like all the other arcs on the show. Olicity’s been getting so much crap lately that I’ve been posting about that. Now, if Thea were getting the same unjust amount of crap, I’d be defending her, too…

• datdudemurphy says:

and you seriously believe that season 4 is on the same level as season 1 and 2?

• Considering all the issues people had with them at the time, as I keep seeing with after shows discussing them when they aired? Yes.

• Jamie says:

Not really the show doing it well, CW in general dont do it well, in any of their shows.

• Colleen says:

Haha ha. There is no denial for me. It’s called inevidentable. Like is will happen when there is a rebuild in their relationship. The new boyfriend I think is related to flashpoint & quite possible be Barry. I doubt very much that this will last long especially on arrow. Regardless, I am very excited for season 5!

2. a says:

Hmm. We kind of already knew this since we had it spoiled a few weeks ago. I don’t like it, but i get the feeling he won’t be around long. As long as the writers don’t turn this into a season long love triangle/square.

3. Lyla says:

WHY do they feel the need to put Felicity in an unlikable position(by everyone) again is beyond me. The people who don’t like her will hate another romantic drama around her (Ray Palmer anyone?) and the Olicity fans were clearly fed up enough after the infamous Baby Mama lie. Obviously it is gonna be something that dies as fast as it’s born, but to me it’s useless. Arrow Writers, if you read this – CLEARLY your endgame is Olicity, so – put them together now or leave them the fu*ck alone as ”partners”/friends until the last episode of the series if u are too chicken to create a romantic relationship with them again, but understand that this show has had ENOUGH love triangles till the end of time. So, find drama elsewhere and just… you know, ZIP IT!

• soonerborn says:

Just another idiotic story line by everyone’s favorite idiot Mark Guggenheim its not enough he pushed the “baby mama drama” stupidity on everyone last season which had pretty much been rejected by most Arrow fans now he has to revisit the God awful season 3 plot line and introduce some other fool to create some boyfriend drama. Maybe he’ll have her be with another guy who stalks her and tries to control her like Ray Palmer. I’m done with this show because Guggenheim has ruined all of the characters on it.

4. R says:

…………………why?

5. GirlvsTV says:

I’m so mad this flashpoint crap is going to mess up Arrow, even if it’s in a small way. I really don’t like The Flash, don’t watch the show and don’t see why Barry’s dumb decision has to reach out and infect a show I do like. Tbh, with the flashpoint stuff and the promise of more stupid romantic angst, when they just should have left Oliver/Felicty alone in the first place, I’m not feeling much excitement for season 5. Most of the SDCC stuff had me at, “meh.”

• Colleen says:

Honestly, I am surprised, but not shocked. I think this is related to the Barry flashpoint thing & it the boyfriend might be Barry. I don’t think the flashpoint stuff will last long on either shows. I just wanted no interference with the other DC shoes with Arrow this year!! Arrow even has to sacrifice it’s 100th episode with the crossover & it sucks. They deserved it to be their own show!!

• GirlvsTV says:

I weirdly like Barry when he crosses over to other shows, but really don’t care for him on his own show. I don’t want to have to watch The Flash to follow Arrow, though at this point I’m not so sure I’m going to watch Arrow at all.

6. Fernanda says:

Poor Quentin, her daugther died and everybody are laughing Felicity and her friends

7. Manuel C says:

Oh well.

These fly by lovers here today gone tomorrow. Only the main loves will last. We know its Oliver and Felicity. Now how much wishy washy storylines of what can we throw at our couple for drama is just damn laughable.

Have a superhero relationship where only the drama is what evil Star city punks will throw at them instead.

• GirlvsTV says:

Eh, I think the show believes it can get away with whatever stupid, tropey angsty poo they can throw at Oliver and Felicity as long as they end up together. They are wrong though. The journey is just as important as the endgame. That nonsense Baby Mama Drama last season pretty much ruined Oliver, as a character, for me. Much like Felicity, I’m still not over it and am ready to see other characters who won’t lie to their significant other’s face for non-sense plot reasons, and who won’t ditch their paralyzed fiancée in the hospital because their man-pain is more important to them. Seriously though, Oliver is the worst.

• Lizzie says:

Agree with all of this. I don’t really doubt Olicity will get back together but I want to enjoy the journey there and giving Felicity a boyfriend (and I have no doubt Oliver will get a girlfriend at some point too) just lessens their love story and taints that journey there. I wanted better. This lessens what little excitement I had for the upcoming season, not that I had much anyway because everything I’ve heard is pretty meh.

• GirlvsTV says:

I can even understand why it should take awhile for them to reconcile, and why that might include them seeing other people – but I have no interest at all in watching that play out. Like, none. I fondest wish would be that

• Lyla says:

I agree that the journey is as important if not more than the ”endgame”. And the Baby Mama Drama as you say really DID ruin how I saw BOTH of them. I understood how Oliver was in a tough spot, but he made the wrong decision regardless. And Felicity was SO FAST to end things and just be totally mean afterwards, which sort of made her look like a bit*h, sorry. In my eyes they both made out of character decisions. I’m an Olicity fan, big time, but it sort of ruins it for me when the girl who supposedly loves her man so much is always, always finding -another- man. I totally got it when Oliver dismissed her and she found Ray. But this time… no. Oliver is trying. Hoping. If she loved him, she wouldn’t be able to ”just move on”.

• GirlvsTV says:

No way is there any shared responsibility in their break up. Oliver made a choice to lie, Oliver made a choice to continue withholding a massively important bit of info from the woman he was going to marry even after a bunch of other people found out, and he has yet to actually apologize to Felicity for any of it. Also, how was she quick to walk away when Oliver’s lying/hiding and his inability to include anyone else in major decisions is just more of the same from him? That basically was the driving force behind the total stupidity of his al-sahim plan. She was right to think he couldn’t change, he’s proved it over and over. Ugh, this making me hate Oliver even more. And I’m not going to rage on Felicity for anything in s5 yet given we haven’t actually seen it.

• Stace says:

Wow, I seriously can’t believe how many people keep Oliver under the bus because they can’t admit Felicity is a huge hypocrite. When she lies is “fib”, when Oliver lies is the worst. Whatever Oliver did about his son, was HIS decision to make, not Felicity’s.

Felicity keeps getting mad that Oliver because he’s not the man she WANTS him to be; and continues to be surprised when he falls on his same patterns and has a hard time changing. You don’t enter a relationship thinking of changing your SO.

Her love for Oliver means nothing she is unwilling to stand by his side for better or worse, that’s commitment. If she can’t handle the huge ass baggage Oliver is always carrying, they shouldn’t be together until Oliver sorts his crap!

Felicity’s love for Oliver is so selfish I’m astonished people stand by her decisions. Oliver either should be alone, or with someone that can actually be an emotional support, not a hindrance. And it has been clear that Felicity just can’t or is unwilling to be that person to him.

Oliver is way to emotionally traumatized to be with someone so emotionally entitled as Felicity. As they wrote them in season 4, they are just so wrong for each other.

• Lyla says:

Yes, well, I didn’t say it was a shared responsibility, Oliver should’ve told her. But to me Felicity has gotten more unlikable through the years, even more so with her, yes, I stay with my words, being very quick to walk away when he was in a very emotional, hard and depressing spot to begin with. I don’t see it as a black and white situation, that’s all. Oliver WAS in a tough spot. With the Al Sahim story line it was all his decision and plan (yes, a very dumb one), but this time it was Samantha who put him there. And I imagine finding out you have a child like this would confuse one enough. What was particularly cringe worthy to me was how mean and snappy Felicity was towards Oliver AFTER the break-up. Ok, leave if u can’t accept his choices, but stay civil or get off the team (which she did and thankfully so). Look, basically, I love the show when it’s the OTA working together. Thea is fine. Echo could be fun. But it won’t work if one of them is hostile. I still love Felicity for her strength, wit and being the hero w/out a mask. But she IS flawed in my eyes. She is often self-centered and can be childish too. But that’s fine for me as long as they don’t try to make her all mighty, cause no-one likes that.

• Ben says:

Funny, for me it was Felicity is kind of ruined. Oliver keeps secrets all the time, for no good reason. Finally he actually has a good reason to keep one and that’s what makes Felicity leave him? Felicity wanting out didn’t feel ‘earned’ to me at all and it felt against her character.

• But the cheating on other women, murder and lying to the team and putting Diggles family in danger were totally cool?

Wow.

• Jamie says:

You’re an idiot.

Oliver had a choice between keeping his son alive or lying.

Only a retard would pick the other choice.

• Colleen says:

Telling Felicity the truth had nothing to do with keeping him alive. In fact, even after finding out the way she did, she still helped to get him back only for him to send his son away without discussing it. Granted for absolutely valid reasons, but your not getting the underlining theme. He continually makes decisions alone when he supposedly gonna spend his life with this person. Not to mention her reaction to react & not put him in the same category of leaving his son just like her Dad did to her at that same age.

8. Anon says:

I love Emily but what is this Felicity has no friends but Curtis crap? She has Thea, Diggle, Lyla, Oliver. She has TF. Sara and Ray are her friends. Lance is sort of her friend. She is not friendless outside of Curtis. Just because they aren’t always in the same place or having sing alongs and braiding each other’s hair doesn’t mean they aren’t friends.

Also the fact that they won’t mane the BC or say anything specific about him probably means its related to the FP storyline and will be over really fast because Barry will fix everything.

• brenna says:

I kind of think she made that comment in a joking way because of all the comments about the show being Felicity and Friends!! Curtis and Ray have been the only ones who were her friends outside of Team Arrow. That’s why the Felicity and friends comments are kind of ridiculous.

• Colleen says:

Maybe, it was an inside joke between cast mates because they see people calling it Felicity & friends which couldn’t be further from the truth BTW.

I have to address something. It boggles my mind that Felicity’s character is the wrong here, or the villian. Did anyone even considered the reason she was so quick to leave was because she has abandonment issues from her Father leaving her at a young age. Maybe, deep down she thought that Oliver was never going to leave the ” island mentality” of lies & doing things alone. He committed to her by asking her to marry. I don’t know anyone here is single doesn’t get that when your a couple a partner you share & include that other person in decisions that may affect them if your with that person now, or in the future. He didn’t. He chose to lie & keep it from her even knowing many other people knew before her. How would you feel if that was done to you. I get why she did what she did with Oliver. I don’t think she is unscaved in this mess. She should have discussed the situation besides getting up & walking away. However, Even after all that went down between them, she still helped him get his son back. Then he decides he is going to leave his son.

I just think at that point in their relationship & what transpired between them & his growth it was just a contrived plot point to break them up so he could find his own light.

9. Lizzie says:

Meh at giving Felicity a new boyfriend. Bad story/character decision. Don’t know how they go from almost married to her moving on so soon. Hugely disappointed. I don’t doubt Olicity in the long term but this is going to taint my enjoyment of that pairing a bit.

10. Kendra says:

I rushed over here to watch the interview that has my entire Twitter TL spiralling – and that’s it? That’s not so bad. So Felicity is going to do the healthy thing and attempt to move on. That’s good! Jealous Oliver is always fun, and the chances of her actually making it work with someone else are slim. But people are going crazy, talking about how Flashpoint means she’s now in a timeline where she’s with Barry, or how John Barroeman’s gestures in the video above suggest she’s pregnant. What?! People need to take a deep breath and wait until the show actually airs before panicking.

11. Lysh says:

I love Felicity and she doesn’t need a boyfriend, even in Oliver (and I ship Olicity, but I don’t need it to be the focus). This is such a cheap tactic TV shows do to a couple, but that’s the least of everything because WHAT IF Susanna Thompson comes back and Oliver’s mom is still alive, too?? Stephen mentioned this at Nerd HQ and I was like nah, but I forgot Flashpoint could affect Arrow, too. I’m living on this.

12. Rosemary says:

It’s getting ridiculous. Just put them together, how many lovers are Green arrow & Felicity going to have. They belong together!!!!! Get back to the villains which makes the show. It’s getting old.

13. Joey Padron says:

Good and funny interview with the cast. Good scoop about new season. Excited to watch new season this fall!

14. Hailey says:

I think it is good they are not putting Oliver and Felicity together and they are having Felicity move on to another person. The best way to end this show would be to have Oliver end up alone and Felicity happy with another boyfriend. I honestly had no faith in Oliver ever growing up or maturing after what he did to Laurel when he slept with her sister and I think any guy that would sink that low deserves to be alone. Take it from experience, guys like that don’t change.

15. Katie says:

I’m ok with Felicity having a boyfriend for a little while, especially at the start of the season. The sooner she tries to move on, the sooner she’ll realize she doesn’t want to be with anyone but Oliver. If she started dating someone else in the middle of the season I’d be more worried, but if we don’t get to see her initially getting together with the new guy, that means we’re not *supposed* to get invested in this new relationship.

I’m wondering if the new boyfriend is the cop character TV Line recently announced in its casting news? Because Wendy Mericle said at SDCC that corrupt cops who work with the mob is going to be a major plot this season. Maybe he’s a bad cop?

16. brenna says:

I’m excited for Season 5. I like what I’m hearing for the most part, and Russia should be fun. I’m not real excited about the boyfriend. I was hoping for a season of Felicity and Oliver working together, building their trust again, and just fighting villains. Hopefully, there won’t be too much drama as the writers seem prone too sometimes.

17. What’s even the point with the boyfriend? Ray 2.0 obviously. I wonder what gift he’s gonna hand Felicity for sleeping with him before she dumps him for Ollie.

18. Mark says:

do we really have to go through the new boyfriend plot? like Olicity or not, we all know that they will end up together. it’s Ray all over again. just skip the unnecessary drama.

also: if you’re still butthurt about Olicity or you think – despite EBR being a fantastic actress – that Felicity ruins the show and you’re still watching or commenting on season 5, you’re a pathetic piece of sh*t.