Emmys
Emmy Nominations Girls Scolari

Emmys: Girls Dad Peter Scolari Enters Race After Veep Nod Is Nixed

One Peter’s loss is another Peter’s gain.

After the Academy rescinded Veep actor Peter MacNicol’s nomination in the Guest Actor in a Comedy category, GirlsPeter Scolari was the one to claim the vacated spot, our sister site Variety reports.

MacNicol was disqualified less than a week after netting his fourth career Emmy nod when it was realized (#MathIsHard) that he was ineligible for the guest actor category, having appeared in half of Veep‘s Season 5 episodes (when the rules max candidates out at “less than 50 percent”).

Interestingly, Scolari is now the one to claim a fourth career Emmy nod, having thrice been nominated during his run on Newhart. On Girls, he recurs as Hannah’s father, Ted.

1. webly3 says:

Wow! This is a pleasant surprise. He deserved a nomination.

2. Dizzle says:

Peter Scolari was definitely great on Girls this year…. But I cannot believe 10 seconds of archive footage being used in a 5th episode is enough for the Academy to really boot Peter MacNicol from the category. This screams major technicality.

3. maltru says:

A) I feel bad for Peter McNicol, but happy for Peter Scolari- Hannah’s dad’s exploration of his new out life has been moving and humorous.
    B) Another typo alert, Matt- “MacNicol was disqualified lass than a week”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I greatly appreciate the catch, but must forewarn you: It’s Comic-Con, and we have at least 70 stories posting over next three days. Imma gonna have typos.

• maltru says:

Fair enough! And normally I don’t care about typos because heaven knows I’m prone to them myself, but I caught these ones today and was in a persnickety mood. (Though, to be clear, a thankful and gracious mood as well, since I enjoy your reporting very much.)

• Alan Dvorkis says:

They do not have editors any more? Then an excuse? How about, sorry about that. I hope it does not happen again as we are writers and writers should not print stories with mistakes.

4. Dave says:

Isn’t this change sort of dumb? Does this mean this dude was next in line for a nom and he is pretty much dead last now? Or do they still judge on tapes in this category?

• ABG says:

They vote again after the nominations, which means technically he has a chance. I’m fairly sure whoever got the most votes on the first round ends up winning at least 75% of the times, but anyways.

• Jamie says:

There was a similar situation before, in 1995. Alison Krauss was nominated for the CMA’s Album Of The Year for “Now That I Found You: A Collection.”. Since over 50 percent of the album was previously released material, it was disqualified. Patty Loveless replaced her as a nominee with “When Fallen Angels Fly.”. Loveless ended up winning the award that year. In both situations, it is very early in the voting process; Solaris has a shot.