Exclusive

Wyatt Earp Is 'Fed Up' and Gettin' Out of Dodge in American West Sneak Peek

Lawman Wyatt Earp is itching to get the heck out of Dodge City in this sneak peek from AMC’s The American West (airing Saturday at 10/9c).

Spanning the years 1865 to 1890, the Robert Redford-produced limited series has been revisiting how — in the aftermath of the Civil War — the United States transformed into the “land of opportunity,” while sharing the personal, little-known stories of Western legends. In the sixth of eight episodes, Billy the Kid seeks revenge for the death of his friend and Jesse James reemerges from years in hiding, while Earp, as shown above, questions his future as a lawman.

The American West also features exclusive interviews with notable names from classic Western films, including Redford, James Caan, Burt Reynolds, Kiefer Sutherland, Mark Harmon, Ed Harris and — in the clip above — Tom Selleck (who long before he laid down the law in New York starred in the 1990 Australian Western Quigley Down Under).

Have you been revisiting The American West via AMC?

1. Bella says:

Tom Selleck was also in a couple of Westerns with Sam Elliott, including The Sacketts, etc. Thanks for posting this, because I would have missed it otherwise. I haven’t heard anything about it anywhere else.

2. Marty says:

I have a few of Tom Selleck movies I watch often, one is Louis L’Amour crossfire trail, my favorite, the others are, Last stand at Saber River, Monty Wash, I’ve always want to meet Tom in person, doubt that will ever happen.. I do write short stories about the old west, nevr got any publish….

3. Mary McClelland says:

I love the series. I am 67 and female. Too bad there is not enough western theme movies and series. I really like the history valve of the show. Thank you Robert Redford and all who have participated in making and starring in this series.

4. jo says:

I really enjoyed Hell on Wheels, and wondering if it is on Video?? This was a great series, and hope that it will be repeated. Please keep us posted, as sometimes these things do not get put in the newspaper or any info on TV

5. Elizabeth Cyran says:

I am a wild west aficionado. I have traveled to the places covered in this series and read most of what is available on all of the subjects Redford is covering. What I find upsetting about the series is that Redford has kept several of the MYTHS going. I thought he was someone who would make sure the truths only were told. Maybe he needs to have a conversation with Kevin Costner, and ask him about the facts of the Old West. Shame on you Redford!

6. Dan Levitt says:

AMERICAN WEST IS AN EXCELLENT DOCUMENTARY ,I WOULD EXPECT NOTHING LESS FROM MR. REDFORD. THE ONLY ONE THING I QUESTION. I WAS UNDER THE
    IMPRESSION THAT BILLY THE KID DID NOT WEAR A HOLSTER BUT TUCKED HIS GUN
    IN HIS BELT.

7. Joan says:

I have all of Tom Selleck’s western movies and watch them over and over. The Last Stand at Saber River is a good one but me all time favorites are the Sacket movies. He may be a cop now but he will always be a cowboy to me.