MLB All-Star Game Ratings

Ratings: MLB All-Star Game Strikes Out With New All-Time Lows

Fox’s coverage of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, which once upon a time used to draw well north of 35 million (!) total viewers, this Tuesday averaged 8.7 million viewers and a 2.2 demo rating (per finals), down 20 and 29 percent from 2015’s final numbers to mark all-time lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | America’s Got Talent (11.5 mil/2.4) slipped 11 percent from last week’s boffo numbers. Maya & Marty (3.9 mil/1.0) was flat with its finale.

CBS | Zoo (4.5 mil/0.8) shed a few eyeballs (and a main cast member?!) while steady in the demo.

THE CW | Containment (770K/0.3) ticked up a tenth with its penultimate episode.

ABC | To Tell the Truth (5.2 mil/1.1) rose 11 percent and a tenth with its finale, hitting 4-week highs.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I’ve really enjoyed Containment a lot. Looking forward to the series finale’ next week.

2. Bwhit says:

Containment has been a surprise for me. I’ve never been this invested in a show that got cancelled so early. Hopefully something somewhat good happens for Jake and Quentin next week.

3. Kevin K says:

Hope ABC renews To Tell the Truth for next Summer possibly.

4. GuessWhat says:

would love a comparison of ratings among last night’s MBA All-Star Game and the last NFL Pro Bowl, NHL All-Star Game and NBA All-Star Game

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Per ESPN, “Baseball’s All-Star Game remains the highest-rated all-star competition of the four major North American pro sports leagues.”

• Wendy says:

Which is sad when you think about it.

• Dave says:

But it’s the only one on broadcast tv

• c-mo says:

It’s the only All-Star game that has any consequence of winning/losing but that being said, it’s hard to stay connected to a broadcast that lasts more than 4 hours. I love baseball and am a Royals fan (thanks for the pic of MVP Hos) but there were so many mid-inning events that the continuity was lost. Baseball is slow enough that in our “I have to be sitting on the edge of my seat in order to be entertained” society, the stop/start just doesn’t cut it. Too bad MLB refuses to address the real issues causing massive fan exodus.

• KLS says:

Imagine if the winner of the game didn’t get anything (home field advantage during the World Series).

• Jakay says:

They really need to do something about a few teams dominating the lineups. This was basically the Cubs vs. the Red Sox, with a few Royals backing all those mediocre Red Sox. If the teams reflected more teams and more players who are actually having stellar seasons, maybe more people would watch. (And my husband the baseball fan says it’s still the highest rated sports program of the summer by far.)

• KLS says:

I agree. Maybe there should be a limit per team? As a fan from the AL, I wanted to see more different players from the NL. They say the fans vote for the players that they want to see, but it seems like they didn’t watch either. Not sure how to fix it.

• GuessWhat says:

thanks

5. KLS says:

The coverage of the ALL-Star game was very disappointing. The commentators, especially Joe Buck, kept putting in these stories that had no relevance to what was going on in the game or what was shown on screen. I left a number of times because it was very frustrating. I guess I should have muted the whole thing, but then I would have fallen asleep.

• AnnieM says:

This is why I hate watching baseball on FOX in general. Hubby and I are Pirates fans, and get their games on the ROOT Sports Channel on DISH. The guys they have covering the games are awesome. They have interesting and informative comments & stats about nearly all the players in any given game, for both the Pirates and whatever team they happen to be playing.

• First time commenting, though I’m a long time lurker. You hit it right on the head. I’m a huge Baseball fan, and I can attest, every other baseball fan I know dislikes Joe Buck to such a strong degree that they don’t watch any Fox games, including the All-Star game and most watch the World Series on mute, with a radio broadcast on for the audio. Joe Buck is so patently disliked by the baseball community that it is mind-boggling as to why Fox keeps him on as their lead announcer.

6. AnnieM says:

I wonder how much the Tribune affiliate blackout on DISH affected those ratings?

7. S g says:

A bald comedian has-been, German model, and 2 Brits watching card tricks done by an NFL long snapper bests “America’s past time.”

8. TV Gord says:

Apparently, the Canadian national anthem at the All-Star Game didn’t air in America, but it caused quite a controversy up here. The Tenors performed the anthem, and one of the quartet substituted an “All Lives Matter” line into the performance. After a quick written apology from the group, he was kicked out of the group, “until further notice”.

9. lrdslvrhnd says:

I know I tuned out once my team’s players were no longer in the game because it’s on Fox. I can’t stand Joe Buck. I can’t stand his voice, I can’t stand his style, I can’t stand his repetition, I can’t stand his repetition, I can’t stand his repetition, I can’t stand his mid-game interviews with managers and players (Let them manage and play the freakin’ game, for Pete’s sake!). I’m not all that surprised that it was a record low.